Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
destinygirl

Front entry way

destinygirl
8 years ago

Just painted my front entry way a neutral color and added a pop of color for the door! Now I need decor help! It looks so plain lol

Comments (17)

• destinygirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Other side of the entry way

• destinygirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

K! What about the space above the doors to the closet or beside the window?

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I totally agree with Season regarding a pretty rug. I would then replace that black blind with a pretty roman shade.

• destinygirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm thinking of painting the closet doors too? Thoughts?

• patty Vinson
    8 years ago

I see a colorful 3'x5' area rug in your future. Something on the table, large and horizontal rather than vertical, would make more of a statement than the small items. A crinkly sheer type curtain in cream, with a tension rod on the top and bottom, would add lightness since the black blind looks like a black hole against the cream color wall. You could still use an ivory blind under the sheers if there is a concern with privacy. It's an easy peasy fix. ;)

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

You have a lot of rectangles on the walls in there, which is a bit distracting. I would paint the closet doors the wall color, otherwise I think they detract from the entry door. Same for the window, I would do a fabric shade that matches the wall color. I think the focus needs to be on the door. I agree a rug would be nice, but make it a size that flows down the walkway.

• User
    8 years ago

I would drywall in the pass thru to the kitchen? Living room? Dining? Then you can use an entry table with a nice mirror over it or an artwork large enough to carry the wall (or a set of prints to do the same).

I second the suggestions for a nice area rug, although I would not recommend a round rug as it will only call attention to all the squares on the floor. A pretty, coordinating curtain or Roman shade at the window, and then you will be ready to accessorize, after the big changes and color decisions have been made.

• DYH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would paint the closet doors the same color as your walls so that your front door is more noticeable.

Agree on a rug and softer window treatments in colors that coordinate with whatever is through the open arch.

Counting your tiles, it looks like the space is 6.5' wide and 8-9' long?

I use a basket, with a lid, in my vestibule to stow away my shoes. If you could find either an upholstered storage bench that fits below your console, or a basket that fits beneath your console, would that be large enough for shoes?

Rather than several small items on the pass-through shelf, if you could find a larger, narrow statement piece to fill the space without blocking the view, I think that would be nice. Preferably, something that also relates to the space on the other side.

Is it possible for you to post a photo of the view as one enters the front door? We're looking at the entry from the inside of the house, but what about "first impressions" coming through the front door?

• User
    8 years ago

The door is a great color. I think a huge rug in that area might look nice. Then, a nice roman shade in the window and less on the pass thru. Maybe paint the pass thru shelf the same as the door, or make it marble from a remnant? Perhaps, paint the pass thru strip a different and bold color to match the rug or door? Finally, perhaps paint the bench wood something other than a dark color.

• destinygirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How would I put up a curtain there? Just one?

• destinygirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• destinygirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or like this style?

• awm03
    8 years ago

I love the idea of an asymmetrical curtain for the window -- texture, pattern, fabric softness, & one less rectangle all in one fell swoop. Maybe ditch the bench AND the console table, put two matching square storage ottomans under the arch. That way you have shoe storage and stll have a place to plunk down on to remove shoes. Do you need something to store keys in in this space? I wonder if you use the drawers in the console table.

Paint the white closet doors in the wall color, add a pretty floor runner to unify the whole space, top it off with a decorative semi-flush light fixture

• Navy Momma
    8 years ago

I would do a nice rug, maybe 4x6 or even 5x7, if you can get a longer table for under the pass through, and put 2 lamps on it. Then I'd put nice art or framed photos on either side of the pass through and some word art that says "home" or something over the closet door. Maybe a nice basket on the side of the bench for the shoes or some umbrellas.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I love that roman shade!!

• auntie_ellen boston
    8 years ago

I would paint the strip of material around the glass in the door the same color as the door so that it doesn't stand out and detract from the pretty door. I would also do the closet doors the same color. I like the dark blinds, A large rug would be nice.