Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ozarkheather

Ozark gardeners, please check in anytime in 2016!

OzarkHeather
8 years ago

Admittedly, I changed screen names, been off and on, and lurked a lot since Spike started Garden web. Some years I have been very busy with family, as have some of you. Health changes & Houzz change lost more of us.

I miss the seasonal chat of what's up, what's blooming, and how your gardens grow.

Please take a moment to just say you are still here, even if occasionally, and still reading!

(I will keep bumping this post to cope with the spam we seem to be getting right now, too)

Thank you for all the green reading, years past, and happy life forward, wherever you be!

Comments (24)

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Still here

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    8 years ago

Still here as well. Check in regularly but a lot of folks apparently didn't like the transition to this site. Hope that improves.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

I'm here but I live in the KC area and not in the Ozarks. I do spend several weekends each summer at a friends place at Pomme de Terre though. Not sure why there is not a Missouri forum.

• gldno1
    8 years ago

I am still here but it is taking some time getting used to the new look of Houzz. Not much gardening new here but I see some daffs are blooming.

OzarkHeather thanked gldno1
  • janie1979
    8 years ago

Springfield Mo area here. Ready to garden! Lots of yard landscaping to do too. Moved onto an acre last fall, so lots of room now!

• dbarron
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not quite sure if it's spring or late winter....will it frost again or are we done ? (as you know, the weather likes to fool us) esp here in NW Arkansas.

• jdevers (zone 7a Farmington AR)
    8 years ago

Haha, no doubt. March is shaping up really nice, probably have a foot of snow a week into April though (80 the next day though).

• Kathy Johnson
    8 years ago

I don't check in here as much anymore. I'm mostly on the internet on my phone & this site is a pain to navigate now. What ever happened to Spike? Is he even here anymore? I'm mostly on All Things Plants & Facebook garden groups. I think I changed my username but it would have been similar to what it is now. I'm right on the Arkansas/Louisiana state line & about an hour & a half from Texarkana, TX.

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 years ago

April now and the daffs are about half done now. Earlypeas are up but going slow.

Lotssss to get done, seedlings from winter sow to transplant, yard trash to burn if the wind ever lets up, and seeds for summer to get started.

Any plant sales in your neck of the Ozarks.? I'm near Stockton Lake

• tandc90
    8 years ago

I find this site to be aggravating to use so I'm not here as much. I also broke my shoulder last week so my gardening is put on hold indefinitely this year.

• christie_sw_mo
    7 years ago

Checking in from west of Springfield. I wasn't sure my user name would still work because I haven't posted for a long time. I don't garden as much as I used to. I have wild honeysuckle issues that are making yard work less fun that it should be.

You have my sympathy tandc. Sounds very painful and I'm betting it still hurts even though it's been a few weeks since your post about your shoulder.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Still here (but now in Springdale), working on my second year of gardening at this address, the perennials borders are beginning to look good (after a years growing on many of the plants), and some trees and shrubs have been planted.

AND...like Christie, I've began war on privet, honeysuckle, and silver maple (and oddly enough persimmon) that come up everywhere.

• frenchcountrychick
    7 years ago

First time I have been on this link. I need to know what everyone is doing about the Japanese Beetles around here! I only use organic sprays. Thanks for any suggestions.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 years ago

Nothing you can do except hand pick them and drop into some soapy water. They are the worst I have ever seen here in the KC area. I am going to order some Milky Spore from Amazon next week to treat the area around my gardens this fall. It is supposed to be very effective for 10-15 years.

Milky Spore

• dbarron
    7 years ago

I haven't seen any at my house, though I took a walk around a lake 5 miles away, and saw tons on every sort of vegetation.

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

We have LOTS here on the grapes and the beech trees and some on the apples.

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

First timer on this forum. I have 5 acres, heavily wooded, in Mountain Home, AR. Can someone please tell me my zone? I promise to check in regularly. Haven't done much outside other than to cut grass but, BIG plans for 2017. Thank you in advance.

• frenchcountrychick
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@Chiflipper(6b) Hardiness map shows 7a. Mountain Home Arkansas hardiness map

• annmck3847
    7 years ago

Hello. I'm new here. From Eureka Springs

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

Japanese Beetles now on the sweet corn. We are hand picking about twice a day.

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

frenchcountrychick......thank you SO much for the map.

• frenchcountrychick
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Would anyone know what this might be used for? Four, 1/2 around PVC Pipes sticking out of the ground in the shape of a square about 20 feet apart, not capped. Also, they are too small to have trees planted inside of them, they are not part of the homeowners drain field, nor have they been there very long. Just stuck them in on Sunday. Thanks!!!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

To mark corners for a small building? Just a thought......

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES