Software
Houzz Logo Print
wlmaiola

It's almost there? Bedroom in New York City

13 years ago
This is the first bedroom I have been able to decorate myself. We finally got the radiator covered with this built in. Obviously we need something on both sides.

The paint color isn't amazing but when we moved in and had the walls painted, I had to choose a light yellow because the roman shade is yellow. That then dictated the color scheme of the room. The real problem is the laundry hamper. We bought this green one to look like a piece of furniture but now it just looks floating there on the wall. I don't know if I should put furniture by it or what. The huge Paris painting presents a problem too. I'm not a huge fan but my husband refuses to get rid of it. It was expensive.

And of course my vanity. If you haven't guessed I love gilded glamour. If I could, I would make the house into Versailles. So I needed a vanity because the bathroom is tiny. I finally found a mirrored piece and an amazing Mareno glass mirror. The the surrounding wall, the three Iimoges plates on the top I absolutely love. I only have three so I can't use them as actual china and I really wanted to showcase them. Then I added scatter frames but I then added pictures. I THINK I like it? Honestly I don't know what else I could have done. I can't add wall sconces because there is no way to drill into the concrete wall to add electricity. Oh help pleasssseee!

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    I'm desperate
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    They have wall sconces that you can simply just hang on the wall, they are a great alternative! I would play around with your mirror and frame wall. You want to keep the negative space between the frames as equal as you can and you want to keep some sort of organization between them. Make them have a purpose to why you hung each one where you did, instead of just filling up wall space. Walls like that can be difficult to pull off!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Do you sit at the table to put make up on or use the mirror to check your outfit or both? If you use it for makeup only, i would turn it horizontally. The wall art is dwarfing the vanity a bit. The hanging behind the bed looks out of place I would raise it as high as possible. Will the hamper fit next to the vanity? I think everything just needs tweaking.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't have an option of putting the laundry hamper in a closet or bathroom. This is a nyc apartment so its small and I have work with what I have. regarding the vanity I am not going to buy a new one. This one is brand new and very expensive.

    kklinton

    that is a very interesting idea of moving the mirror horizontally. I never thought of that. i do however use it for both make up and a final outfit change. i will try to move the laundry hamper next to the vanity. I think tried this before and it was too long and moving the vanity would make it really off center. Yes, everything definitely needs tweaking, I am just at a loss.

    Yesterday I said to my husband I'm taking down the pictures on the vanity wall. He flipped and said no way because of the holes. He's the one who hates it! I also had a thought of painting the hamper, but again i was shut down. I still think i might attempt it though :)


    The tapestry at above the bed cannot go any higher because there is a ledge that goes out. See below
    I am so frustrated because I barely know what I'm doing and want to make it perfect!
  • 13 years ago
    The mirror is gorgeous, but could you put it somewhere else and replace it with a gorgeous mirrored medicine cabinet? Some of them are so elegant. It would give you all the storage you need to de-clutter and the holes you made with all the little hangings could so easily be patched and touched up. It would be a clean, elegant look to wake up to, imo.
  • 13 years ago
    Like this:
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would spray paint the hamper silver. That green would drive me crazy. Just a thought, :-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Whitney, don't get frustrated...you are almost there! It is a trial and error. Try putting the collage on the floor and play with it before you totally redo it. I am wondering if it wouldn't be cool to do a gold leafing technique on your white frames to bling them up?
  • 13 years ago
    What are y'all's thoughts on putting a small ottoman or chair with a floor lamp by the hamper?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think you need a taller chair....everything in the room is low except for what is on the wall. Something in damask or velvet.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You have a great start and your bed is fantastic! Plus that's one nice looking hamper. I can't really make out what you have next to your bed right now, but...can the hamper be used as a bedside table? It looks like it tilts out, so the top is a solid piece. The green may not be that bad if there's green in the tapestry above the bed.

    I agree with the poster about placing the bench to the end of your bed. You could add a throw blanket in a pretty accent color over the bench. Then, I think an ottoman or chair with floor lamp in that corner would look nice. Instead of a floor lamp, perhaps an etagere that could provide extra storage.
    Branly Etagere · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Kklinton how do I search for that chair on houzz?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    thefind.com
  • 13 years ago
    Your bedding, drapes and tapestry are beautiful! They all have tones of gold, so I agree with previous post to paint some of the frames gold leaf to match. Also agree that the mirror needs to be turned. Everything seems very elegant and then the vanity is cluttered and throws it off. Remove as much as you can from there to de-clutter. I once really messed up a picture frame collage and was fuming at myself because of the holes. It takes an extra minute, but I traced my frames onto pieces of paper and then tacked them up to find the right arrangement. I was able to rearrange them to hide any holes (I did have to buy one more frame). Good luck...hang in there because it's definitely coming along!
  • 13 years ago
    Did a little DYI project to make the hamper look less of an eye sore. Before and after:
  • 13 years ago
    LOVE your hamper DIY! It looks like a fabulous antique cabinet!