Software
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

Pruning mature Bloodgood (?)

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hi all,

We have a very large red maple, centered directly in front of our house, that I think must be a bloodgood. I think it's at least 30' tall and some of the branches hang so low that it's a huge pain for husband to mow around and under, and he's been threatening to just start lopping branches off. I know hiring a knowledgable pruner would be our best bet, but it's not in the cards financially so I was hoping we could get some guidance here and at least get the tree to a more pleasant and comfortable state (pleasant and comfortable for us that is). I don't want to hurt or severely deform the tree obviously but what info I find when googling seems to be aimed toward smaller or younger varieties of JMs.

Tools currently on hand are long handled anvil-type pruners, regular but strong shorter ones, a nice folding pruning saw, one of those pole-saw-pruner things, and a decent pair of smaller scissor-type pruners. And regular house tools like a bow saw, regular saw, hedge trimmers, chainsaw etc- not that I imagine I'll be using them. Last year I did cut all the dead branches I could reach, but that was it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! : )

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting