Software
Houzz Logo Print
goldendoodle56

Function over form for puppy - now what??

10 years ago

So originally I had these drapery panels on either side of the slider. We just brought the rod closer in and stacked the panels to the left. This is the main door for our puppy, and the curtains were in the way. Also moved this cabinet to the new open space on the right of the door to store leashes etc. I have some wall repair to do.

So, my question is, what can I hang on this wall to make this look intentional? I'm bad at scale, and would like to avoid lowering the rod and hemming drapes if possible.

Side note, the table is a solid pine that I just picked up from Craigslist for $38 and I'm going to try my first refinishing!


Comments (31)

  • 10 years ago

    Would it be possible for you to get a wider curtain rod and move that green cabinet to the other side of the curtains?

    Then you could hang the curtains on the open side of the door on the right side over the wall

    Does that make any sense? Here's a very poorly done photoshop :)

    goldendoodle56 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks beagles, that is how we had it originally, but they were getting in the way and the dog has a little spot there by the pony wall on the right where she likes to hang out.

  • 10 years ago

    Oops, I thought the problem was they were blocking the slider and that moving them to the wall would fix it. Reading comprehension fail on my part. Sorry!

    goldendoodle56 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • 10 years ago

    Not a problem! I have seen examples where the drapes stacked to one side looks perfect, and I can't quite figure out how to get there. I could move the cabinet to the pony wall. Believe me when I tell you the hidden storage is quite an improvement over how we had been storing the dog supplies!

  • 10 years ago

    Could you get a drape holdback and pull the drapes to the side to expose more of the door? Then put a painting, print, photos, ect on the wall above the cabinet to balance the weight of the drapes?

    goldendoodle56 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • 10 years ago

    You will need to post a picture of the puppy before I can fully analyze the problem! :)

    goldendoodle56 thanked rockybird
  • 10 years ago

    Lol Rocky, happy to show off my girl! She's four months old and has stolen all of our hearts!

  • 10 years ago

    Oh my goodness!!!! She is so CUTE!!!! Look at those long legs! She has some growing to do!


    I dont think the curtains look that bad the way they are. I dunno, when it comes to pets, I always give up on form. I have three bird cages in the great room for my parrots to eat on top of. Theres's no hiding them!

    goldendoodle56 thanked rockybird
  • 10 years ago

    Sherry, I will try that out. I can easily push them closer together also to expose more of the door during the day. Rocky - I agree but I have seen your posts and your birds and cages are works of art! Thank you for your comments about Dakota - we got her at 8 weeks old and she's grown a ton. Her litter is supposed to be 50-60 lbs full-grown, but her paws are very big.

  • 10 years ago

    Not sure, but try extending the rod to the left so that the curtain looks equal to or slightly wider than the exposed part of the slider rather than narrower.

    Your pup is adorable. Enjoy

    goldendoodle56 thanked lascatx
  • 10 years ago

    Dakota is such a cutie! Of course, she comes first!

    I agree with Sherry. It's very easy to install a holdback and you can easily release the curtain to fall straight.

    These are from Pottery Barn, but you can likely find similar at Bed, Bath and Beyond, JC Pennys, etc.

    For my bedroom, I used a cup hook with a tassel/rope tieback. It's also easy to release. For your decor, I think the metal one would work better.

    As for art on the other side, you could take a good photo of Dakota and have it transferred to canvas from places like Art.com.

    goldendoodle56 thanked DYH
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    She is too, too cute! I am not a fan of the hang-them-high look in the absence of crown molding. That big square of wall space above the right side door is adding to the less than perfect look of these drapes (which are lovely).

    If it were my house and my dog, I would lower the drapes about a foot, extend the rod a couple feet, divide the drapes half on each side with two holdbacks on the right side (one of them a foot from the floor), and then pull the cabinet away from the wall enough to let the fabric drape and fold properly behind it.

    That's a lot of work, though. Another way to go would be to fill in the space above the right door with a faux roman shade in a woven/basketweave/matchstick type material that matches the green/brown(?) in the drapes.

    goldendoodle56 thanked graywings123
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all for taking the time to offer suggestions. I think the solution may be here in a combination of advice! Lowering the rod a foot may be a good solution for the empty space. That would also put the rod at the same height as the kitchen cabinets to the left.

    We did have bamboo shades in the space between the rod and the door, but rarely used them so I started to feel like they were just sitting there collecting dust!

    Dyhgarden, thanks for the link, I'm going to look into that.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm in a similar boat with no resolution. My livingroom is a nightmare because of our spoiled dog. She completely rules the roost when it comes to accommodating her but it's worth it. Your puppy is so adorable!!! Definitely a heart stealer!

    goldendoodle56 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    What a cutie! Here is a link from Lowe's http://www.lowes.com/pd_275141-42042-JJ-DE-86969+-MB_1z0rv2r__?productId=50393340&pl=1 just for an example. They have lots of styles and types.

    goldendoodle56 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • 10 years ago

    Joey, my parrot, goes all over the house. At first, tried to teach him not to touch things. But in the end, he was more important than my things, so gave up.

    goldendoodle56 thanked cacocobird
  • 10 years ago

    I would agree with getting a tie-back and adding some artwork over the table. Also lowering the rod a bit. I must admit your post caught my eye because I'm rearranging my home around our new puppy as well...then I saw your username and couldn't help myself. We have a 13.5 wk goldendoodle that is a total ray of sunshine. Your doodle pup is adorable!

    goldendoodle56 thanked Jaime
  • 10 years ago

    I've nothing really to add, other than to agree that I would lower the rod and think about a holdback (we did this on a doorway our dogs use) or dividing the drapes and using a pair of holdbacks. Mainly though I wanted to admire your gorgeous puppy - she's utterly adorable! We have a four year old Australian Labradoodle (as well as our Spanish Water Dog) and I can testify to the fact that Doodles are a joy to be around! Jbald - we need to see a pic of your puppy too now :)

    goldendoodle56 thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all! jbald, that puppy is just beautiful! Dakota is an f1b so will be very curly. I agree, doodles are the sweetest dogs! Right now I actually have the drapes down for spring cleaning and enjoying the extra space and light coming in. Kind of silly worrying about drapes when most days we have quite a few towels laying around the kitchen to wipe paws! Raphael - pics welcome of your dogs!

  • 10 years ago

    I can solve your problem Golden. Send your girl my way and do anything your heart desires with your curtains. She is seriously adorable!

    goldendoodle56 thanked Holly- Kay
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Dakota is such a sweet looking little girl - her paws do look very big! so is your furbaby, jbald. what sweet looking puppies.

    my furgirl rules here too. they always have.

    I do think lower the rod and widening it. it be good to have more of the door showing and letting in light.

    is hemming them something you could do yourself? it shouldn't be very difficult to do. a bit more difficult if lined, but still not bad to do.

    goldendoodle56 thanked desertsteph
  • 10 years ago

    desert…looks like you have several great possibilities and a darling puppy!! I too have this issue…2 very large dogs who wreck havoc in the house. Since your drapes are down I think I'd shorten them a bit and lower your rod. If a new rod is available, I'd consider getting one a bit longer so it extends 3-4 inches on each side. I don't mind the drapes being pulled to one side and I'd use a drapery holdback as recommended by Sherry and hang something over the cabinet. The things we do for our pets!!! ;)

    goldendoodle56 thanked motherwallace
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks all! The drapes are lined, but I could probably hem them myself, I'll give it a try.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hey Jbald, Winnie looks a complete darling too! Thanks for sharing (and apologies for encouraging all this thread-hijacking, lol!)......and as you asked, here's a couple of pics of mine - first one is Rossetti (aka Zetti), the Australian miniature Labradoodle. He's four and a complete pussycat. Second is Raphaella (aka Raffi), the Spanish Water Dog. She'll be three in July and is convinced she's top dog ;)

    Now, where were we?

  • 10 years ago

    OMGooness! These babies are adorable but my heart is breaking :( It's a good thing I don't know where Raffi lives or I might be tempted to ask her if she'd like to move to Texas! <g> We just lost our 11 year old choc. Lab a week ago Sunday from complications due to kidney failure :( She as diagnosed just over a month ago. She was on a prescription kidney disease dog food and appeared to be looking and feeling better. At 3:45am I woke up to her wheezing. She took her last couple of breaths in our arms but we don't know if she was aware of us or not. I'm choosing to beleive she was :( I miss her SO much! It's heart wrenching. I just want her back!

  • 10 years ago

    Monicakm, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have a 10 yr old lab as well as another dog and cannot bear to think of them not being with me. We had two cats that we lost within months of each other and it hasn't been long enough to deal with that kind of loss again. When you are ready, there are many, many more looking for good homes.

  • 10 years ago

    Oh Monica, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear girl...... {{{hugs}}} to you and your family xxx We're in England, but if we were able/closer I'd bring Raffi over right now for a cuddle xxx

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you raphellathespanishwaterdog and lascatx.

  • 10 years ago

    Monica, I am so sorry for your loss. Makes me tear up just thinking about it, I never really understood until taking ours home this December. I am finding out just how perceptive dogs are, I am sure she knew she was being held and comforted by her loved ones.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm so sorry Monica. It's absolutely heart breaking & there are no words that console. But, I do understand. And hugs to you!

    Adorable Doodles!!

    Wheaten & standard poodle-- the sweetest boy ever! Had a rough start in life & im so thankful he gets to live the good life now!