Software
Houzz Logo Print
arvee

CONTAINERS FOR 2016

10 years ago

This year I decided to get to the dollar store and purchased some LASAGNA PANS - heavy duty aluminum foil type and they have tall clear plastic lids that snap over the rims. For drainage I just sliced the bottoms of the pans with a utility knife (if it is too wide then just rub it underneath and it will close up a bit) and on the tops I just jabbed very sharp pointed small scissors into the clear plastic - it leaves a bit of a ragged edge that you can just pull on to make the holes larger as needed. Have them planted out this week so nothing sprouting yet. Have lost my wonderful black box that had my "seed stash" in there so had to buy some seeds to plant ... we had redecorating done over the winter and guess my seeds got pitched out. On the hunt for deer resistant plants to grow in SW Michigan - zone 5. If anyone has extras I'd gladly pay to have some. Let me know at Magic Kiwi 1 at yaho dot com. :) Will try and post photos of the containers and sprouts as they come up ... hoping these lasagna pans work well - some call them roasting pans. Good luck with your winter sowing.

Comments (4)

  • 10 years ago

    How deep are the pans? Should have at least 3 inches deep of potting mix. Otherwise you'll be watering them all the time.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sorry for taking so long but this is Michigan - enjoying outdoors playing in the garden or else inside waiting to go outside! Here is a photo of the lasagne pan with a ruler for perspective. I have never sowed to a 3" depth and have never had a problem! these are just a bit shy of 2.5" and no problems. I did have to run and tie a cord around the whole thing after planting tho as we had high winds that blew the tops off! crazy weather. Already have sunflower and morning glory seeds popping thru! Found a good buy on seeds at THE DOLLAR TREE - 4 pkts for $1 - plenty of seeds in there and also a box of seeds and "other" filler same price $1 - can't wait for those to start coming up. Also planted a grocery store chunk of ginger that I broke into pieces - sprouts on those already but have that pot indoors. Want tumeric but haven't located any so far. As for watering - I watered the potting medium well then planted and spritzed down before putting on the lid - condensation on the lids so haven't had to water in a week. :) The $ Store had potting soil and soiless mix so I mix those together and it seems to be a perfect medium.

  • 10 years ago

    I like those lasagna pans too. I sowed 24 different varieties of tomatoes (mostly received from trudi d's old Wintersown site) in tiny Dixie cups which I marked with a sharpie #1-24 to match my master list on the computer. I put two seeds in each little cup and was able to put several varieties in each lasagna pan as the cups themselves were numbered. I know the Dixie cups won't last long but they eliminate the need to separate hunks of seedlings and enabled me to plant several varieties in a single pan.

    I did the same thing indoors with peppers and the system worked well inside with the cups deteriorating just when it was time to plant the seedlings to a larger plastic cup. My tomatoes are still hunkered down outside so I don't know if they will hatch or not. However, my cole crops sowed directly into the pans all sprouted nicely and a lot of my flowers are popping up now.

    At our previous house in the desert Firecracker Penstemon was our favorite and also loved by the hummingbirds and woodpeckers. I tried unsuccessfully for years to propagate more of them by seed in other parts of the yard. Without much faith that they would sprout here I brought seeds gathered at the last minute and wintersowed them. They were one of my first flowers to sprout while my other penstemons are still hiding. Will EM you at address above if you would like some seeds. I also have seeds of another penstemon which I was told was a canyon penstemon from Texas. They haven't sprouted in their pan yet but I can throw some seeds in an envelope if you want to give them a try too. sam

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I found that the lasagna pans collapsed/buckled in the center so had to be very careful moving them. Decided to use the unplanted ones for their original purpose, lasagna.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio