Software
Houzz Logo Print
sbailey66

Dekton countertops

10 years ago
I would like to use Dekton Aura as my countertops in a new kitchen being built. A Consumer Report in June 2015 said compared to Quartz, granite and other materials it rated higher and was better in terms of stains, cuts and abrasions. However it was much lower in terms of cracks or chips if something fell onto it from a height of 2 feet. I want to know if any homeowners have installed Dekton as their kitchen countertop and what their experience has been. Thank you, Suzanne

Comments (55)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would strongly recommend finding your local dealer and showroom. Then once you have felt the tactile nature of the Dekton tops you'll not even think of having anything else installed.

    I have attached a PDF with Denton info
    http://massets.cosentino.com/docs/file/1169A72D-90CD-434E-B33BE3D6158D6DF6/Kitchen-Bath-Dekton-ENUK.pdf
  • 8 years ago

    Hi sbailey66,

    I am curious whether you ended up installing the Dekton countertops? We are also considering them, but are worried about the same issue that Consumer Reports found. Let me know if you have an update! Thanks!

  • 8 years ago

    We installed Dekton Keon about a month ago as part of a complete kitchen remodel. We have a large kitchen with multiple sinks and stovetops, so it was complicated. Though we don't have long-term experience yet with Dekton, we love it so far - the counters look fantastic, are easy to clean, and we don't worry about setting hot pots on them. We have multiple seams, so we'll see how that goes in the future. The island has a 12 inch overhang with steel supports. The soffit above the gas stovetop is also ringed with Dekton. I would make sure that you have a high quality installer as installation is complicated. Anything that doesn't fit has to be taken back to the dealer and recut. We had some problems with inaccurate measurements and challenges because the house isn't level (whose is?). Installers had to come 3 separate times to get everything right and it took a whole week. Keon has an industrial look, which we love. Photos are attached.

  • 8 years ago

    I've been using my Dekton Kadum countertops for over a year now and haven't managed to do any damage to them. From everything I've read, it's all about fabrication, fabrication, fabrication! I've done some really messy stuff, like juicing pomegranates, in this kitchen and the Dekton just wipes clean. I'd definitely use Dekton again: https://www.houzz.com/projects/1883490/colorful-kitchen

  • 8 years ago
    Can you recommend Dekton as a backsplash? Will it be easy to wash and practical? Thank you.
  • 8 years ago

    Karen Overstreet - just wanted to follow up on your experience a few months later. Any chips in the Dekton? We are considering this type of countertop.


  • 8 years ago

    2 years installed = no chips, no scratches, and no stains!

  • 8 years ago
    Laur: Our Dekton experience is still positive. No chips, stains, scratches or anything 6 months later. It is a breeze to take care of and everyone loves it.
  • 6 years ago

    @carolinaparakeet How are your Dekton countertops holding up? Any Issues with chips or cracks? What thickness do you have? Thanks

  • 6 years ago

    @Karen Overstreet How are your Dekton countertops holding up? Any Issues with chips or cracks? What thickness do you have? Thanks

  • 6 years ago

    @50s_ranch Andres How are your Dekton countertops holding up? Any Issues with chips or cracks? What thickness do you have? Thanks

  • 6 years ago

    I’ve had my Dekton Kadum countertops for 4 years now. No chips or cracks! A couple of heart-stopping times I’ve wacked the edge with a pot, but didn’t do any damage. There aren’t any seams. The longest run is 105” and it’s about 7/16 of an inch thick.

  • 5 years ago

    Karen Overstreet, how are your counters holding up? We’re looking to install the Keon as well, but worried because even the slab we saw had chips around the edge. Also, if the pattern doesn’t go all the way through, how do they do the edges? Thanks

  • 5 years ago

    Our counters are all still perfect. No problems of any kind. The seams where the slabs come together are still hard even to see. The edges of our counters aren’t round, but they are rounded in that they are smooth. Perhaps you can see that in the photo?


  • 5 years ago

    Your photo looks great! We learned that the pattern doesn’t go all the way through so we weren’t sure how they would make the edges look like the top without gluing a piece on. We fell in love with the Keon and are planning to use it for 2 bathroom remodels but started having doubts reading about chipping issues. Thanks for the quick reply. :-)

  • 5 years ago

    I can see what you mean. The full pattern doesn’t come through on the edges but there are still some color flecks that do come through enough so that you wouldn’t really notice. Looks like our slab is 3/4 inch thick.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    We have had our countertops installed since April of 2019. I researched the heck out of them because they were double the cost of our budget. I had to convince my husband that these would be the best. I really did love them. They are absolutely beautiful! The best I've seen. But unfortunately if I had to do all over again I would not get them.


    Because of all the bad reviews I was a bit hesitate but because they were so beautiful I thought I'd take a chance thinking that it wouldn't happen to me. Well. . . I have several chips in them. Even in areas that don't get much use. And I have a HUGE crack (started off small but keeps growing) right by the corner of one of my cabinets in the back. So obviously they were installed wrong. I even used the sister company of Cosentino to install them because I thought if anyone knew how to install them it would be them.


    When I called they told me the warranty doesn't cover any cracks. So I'm screwed. You would think something that is supposed to be this strong and durable would not have cracked or chipped so easily. Hopefully they can continue to work on the product to fix these issues. There are 2 photos of the crack so you can see the continuation of it. And only a few photos of the chips.


    To be fair they were really nice people to work with. The installer was very good at responding and being here when he said he would be here. That part was a good experience.












  • 5 years ago

    Hi Sandialonso, can you please tell me what colour this is? Thanks!

  • 5 years ago

    It is Fiord. It’s absolutely beautiful! I always get so many complements.

  • 5 years ago

    The white balance is off on these photos but it’s mainly white.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    The Consumer Reports test had a fatal flaw. The Dekton was simply lying on top of the plywood and was not bonded to a recommended substrate before testing. This is like testing Corian for heat damage using solid underlayment which is prohibited by DuPont, Corian's manufacturer.


    Take a floor tile and smack it with a hammer; it cracks immediately. Smack the same floor tile after it's been properly set in mortar and grouted. Maybe a chip, but a crack is unlikely. Same thing here.


    "We were pleased that Dekton achieved high scores in regard to its resiliency to heat, staining, and cutting,” says Lorenzo Marquez of Cosentino. “However, we were disappointed to learn that Dekton cracked in specific tests that simulated dropping a weighted object onto the surface from height. Unfortunately we are unable to validate the results, as testing conditions didn’t comply with our own installation guidelines. Cosentino stands behind Dekton and the advantages that come with its ultra-compact composition, offering high levels of performance to withstand normal levels of wear and tear.”


    "Consumer Reports’ experts tested Dekton as they do all other countertop materials and none cracked from edge to edge as Dekton did."


    Yeah, but a piece of Corian doesn't crack from the same blow. You can't test different materials the same way and expect accurate results. Test properly installed Dekton and get back to us please.


    Consumer Reports doesn't know what it doesn't know.



  • 5 years ago

    I used the sister company of Cosentino (Stone Systems) to install my counter tops. You would think they know how to install properly. The crack started at the back of the counter top. Near the backsplash. I know for a fact nothing would have been dropped way back there.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Roberto Colonatti knows more about fabricating and installing sintered than all the manufacturers combined. Fortunately he has published a manual.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    If I were Cosentino, the reports of cracks would make me rethink and maybe revamp my product. In my location, most people want quartz and don't have the budget for Dekton, which means we don't have to bother with customer complaints because of cracks. I'm fine with that.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Cracks are fabricator/installer error.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I know, but if a company wants a successful installed product, they should take into account some level of user error, especially for such an expensive product. The google review that goes up is going to name Dekton, even if the problem was the installation, not the product.

  • 5 years ago

    @Carolina Kitchen & Bath - "Dekton is a beautiful surface material but I've heard it is more brittle than quartz surfaces. It has a very large carbon footprint, too."


    Maybe some more research is in order for you regarding the carbon footprint you have mentioned more than once when Dekton comes up as a topic. I noticed you made this claim in another thread about it, and since we are strongly considering using the product, I decided to do some research and see if that was actually the case, since I certainly don't want to pick a product that is not environmentally friendly.


    My research indicates that Dekton meets the LEED certification standards and can be used in projects that achieve LEED status. I did the searching independently, without asking anyone at our local Cosentino Center, just to be clear.


    I also had an appointment at the Center yesterday and had an involved discussion about installation and whether or not we should look at other installers based on the amount of product a particular installer was working with, so that we did not end up being a guinea pig for a company that hasn't spent a lot of time working with the product. My next step, if we decide we're going to use the Dekton, will be to get the list of fabricators/installers from the Center and do a Google search on each of them to see what turns up on local reviews.


    As to user error, there are complete horror stories all over the internet for pretty much every building product in existence, and no company is going to have a perfect record, things just don't go that way in construction, as I am sure that you know. I did a quick Google search on your business and there are a couple of less than beaming reviews out there ;)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    "I also had an appointment at the Center yesterday and had an involved discussion about installation and whether or not we should look at other installers based on the amount of product a particular installer was working with, so that we did not end up being a guinea pig for a company that hasn't spent a lot of time working with the product."


    If I had to choose between a fabricator with 150 sintered jobs or a guy who'd never done one but followed Colonatti's fab manual to the letter, I'd take the latter.

  • 5 years ago

    I have cracks and chips in mine - 5.6 years later. Would never install again

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @Kim Stuart I should have been more clear, a Cosentino rep sheepishly told me a year or two ago that "it wasn't the most carbon neutral countertop material available." He described the manufacturing process, so many pounds pressure under so many degrees, and I saw no reason not to believe him.

  • 5 years ago

    What an odd comment, especially considering that using Dekton enables builders to acquire credit towards LEED certification, it doesn't count against them.


    :)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I didn't say it, the rep did! Talk to him!

  • 5 years ago

    Can someone recommend Dekton fabricator and installer in New York area.

  • 4 years ago

    My wife and I bought a Dekton countertop from Home Depot and had it installed by their contracted installer in February 2018. No problems until December 2021. Our rice cooker boiled over and the hot water cracked the entire thickness of the countertop from front to back. It never had anything drop on it, and it was installed by Home Depot's contractor. Yet, now NO ONE will stand behind it. Not Home Depot, not Colonial Marble of King of Prussia, PA and not Cosentino, maker of Dekton. I loved how it looked but BUYER BEWARE!!!!!


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Pam:


    I'm confident that's fabricator/installer error, not product failure. How level is the top? Is there a small radius in that corner? Substrate?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We have an outdoor kitchen with a dekton countertop. Months after installation, I put a hot pizzastone (500 fahrenheit) on the countertop, 10 mins later we (3 people) heard a very

    loud bang and the countertop was cracked. No "real" problem until that point I would say. Cosentino came along for the warranty, the first thing the Cosentino representative said (before examining the crack) was that most countertops cracked because people would climb onto it. He took pictures, sent them to Spain and ... they determined the crack was caused by an impact, not heat. Incredible, never seen a manufacturer evading his responsibility so easily. Obviously I gave it to a lawyer and we will be asking for an independent expert.



  • 4 years ago

    We have had dekton for less than 2 years and we had 4 different chips. we had it installed by a certified dealer. i would definitely NOT recommend it.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    "Cosentino came along for the warranty, the first thing the Cosentino representative said (before examining the crack) was that most countertops cracked because people would climb onto it."


    You should be able to climb all over any properly installed countertop without failure.

  • 4 years ago

    I do a lot of high impact food prep (think chopping thick skinned squash or pounding meat...always with a chopping board of course), with the brittleness of Dekton, should I avoid that material? Even with a chopping board, is it at a high risk for cracking? Is this something that will be a problem across all materials (i.e. Dekton, quartz, granite)? I have had granite in the past and did not see any problems with my chopping, but I prefer the solid color options found in quartz and Dekton. Being able to set a hot pan down is a must as well.

  • 4 years ago

    Don't buy Dekton. The material chips very easily, and fixing the chips will cost a lot of money. We have had 4 chips on our Dekton counters in the kitchen in the last 3 years, each one costing from $300, to $500 to repair. We had Granite counters in our Kitchen for over 10 years prior to Dekton, and we never had any chips, cracks, or had to do any repairs.

  • 4 years ago

    We just had Dekton installed by Innovative Surfaces. Our design team is Novare Rennovation and Design - they have been a complete disappointment. They think this installation is fine!! Seriously! Does anyone have any similar Dekton that looks this bad. It comes in 10' lengths and we have two seams withiin 10 feet. I can't believe this is what it should look like!! Frustrating!



  • 4 years ago

    Well we didn't end up getting Dekton, but we ended up with a sh**show of an installation anyway. I had forgotten about this thread until I saw an email reminder just now.


    We ended up ordering a quartz from MSI (don't do it unless you go to their warehouse and you look at both sides of the material) and we had some standard sizes and a custom templated size. 2 sheets, no way around it but we knew that. 2 seams on the peninsula size because we opted to add cabinets on when we took the "dentist office" split counter out and brought it all down to one level.


    We looked at a lot of material, we live in Phoenix so there are a lot of showrooms and jobbers here. We decided we liked something called "Midnight Majesty Concrete" - which is a super dark grey-black with some light flecking and a textured (not polished) finish. It was priced just enough less than the Diresco Belgian Blue Velvet that our fabricator suggested we go with it, since the project manager told us they were the same thing. We spent the extra for mitred edges and a bigger overhang, so the fabrication was pretty expensive, relatively speaking.


    They deliver the countertops to our house - and the slabs are turned backwards facing. They have "belenco.com" stamped all over the back and the words "Volcano Black". This is clearly not anything like what we ordered from MSI (midnight majesty) and now I'm trying to figure out what/where/how this is at our house.


    I call the project manager and he's dumbfounded but says he will call the fabricator and make sure this is ours, before they bring it off the truck and into our house. In the meantime I call MSI trying to figure out what they delivered to the fab at pickup and the people at MSI tell me repeatedly that they have no idea what balenco is or what volcano black is. We can't get this sorted out, so we have to send the pieces back.


    I jump in the car, go over to MSI, and when I come in, they again reassure me that they have no clue what was on that truck, and that was not what they gave our guys. This is two phone calls and now I'm standing in the lobby of the warehouse. So I told them to pull some more slabs and put them underside facing out so we can look at them.


    We get about halfway down the aisle to my slabs and I just happen to notice they have a slab facing back out and sure as s**t, it's got Balenco.com stamped on the back. How can this be? These people have been telling me for nearly 2 hours that they have never heard of Balenco and they have no clue why it was on a truck in front of my house.


    Now we are still walking, I'm seeing more and more slabs with balenco.com stamped on the back. We get to my row and (drum roll....) yep, the "Midnight Majesty Concrete" is stamped Volcano Black and Balenco all over the back. But nobody at MSI has ever heard of this stuff?


    Ludky for us, my fabricator and installer were on the calls with MSI when they kept saying they didn't know what the materials were, so they came back a few days later and did our install without charging us extra for sending it back the first time.


    Bottom line here - if you can avoid dealing with MSI Surfaces, I would suggest that you do just that. We could have spent a little more on the Diresco and not had the issues we did with the delivery. Or maybe they all get their limestone looking products from Turkey and lie about it. I don't even care that the quartz is made in Turkey. It's beautiful now that it's installed, it's exactly what we wanted, I'm just pissed 8 months later that it was such a sh**show to get it done.

  • 4 years ago

    Unbelievable! It is so frustrating when things go wrong and nobody wants to be held accountable! I am glad i didn't use MSI Surfaces for my granite. Your journey sounds a bit like ours! Thanks for your comment!

  • 4 years ago

    We just installed Dekton in December 2021 (3 months ago). There is already a crack in the corner and we will need to reinstall a whole slab. They won't cover the cost of installation. This experience with Cosentino has been horrendous. Get a different brand!

  • 4 years ago

    Joseph Corlett, LCC must have a dog in this fight. so easy to blame the installer, these same installers work with lots of materials but it seems that Dekton is most prone to cracking and chipping. Read the reviews, this is actual customers explaining their experiences. if Consentino were do congident in their product include robustness in the warranty. i am buying a new kitchen and the shop owner told me not to touch dekton as her own worktop cracked when a hand blender fell over on her dekton and cracked it. Despite selling these gor a living the company refused to stand over it! Its easy yo blame someone else snd say it wasnt fitted properly but Consentino recommended we have a 25cm overhang around our island made from Dekton so that 25cm would have no support below it should something drop on it. It is made from an amalgamation of glass and porcelain so why dhould anyone be surprised when it cracks and chips. The last thing you want yo do when uou fit a £20 - £30k kitchen is eorry constantly about dropping something!

  • 4 years ago

    Dont do it! our dekton chips just dropping silverware. we have 4 chips in a year! they refuse to replace it!


  • 2 years ago

    Looking for a Dekton fabricator in SF bay area. Please recommend.

  • last year

    Ina Karli- did u end up getting dekton
    I can’t believe the things I’m reading I finally almost made up my mind about getting dekton cuz I don’t like quartz
    Wish I can just put granite again never had issues for 20 years not once! But no one carries it anymore or 1-2 slab leftovers
    Love how dekton doesn’t stain or scratch but the cracks and chips I’m reading about - what’s the point of their warranty then!!!!!?????