Software
Houzz Logo Print
shandi_hunter

Need to decorate living room

10 years ago

I basically have a blank canvas for the livingroom right now. Just got done changing the paint color to "Perfect Greige". I am looking to make the livingroom more cozy. I plan to buy an entertainment center, 50 inch flat screen for the blank wall. Room has a cathedral ceiling with a brown ceiling fan way up high where you can't even reach it. I have a limited budget but could purchase some additional rugs pillows blankets etc. The dresser in the room needs repainting and I'd like to incorporate it better into the room. I'm also going to be inheriting some antique pieces from my grandmother soon. I wanted to post pics of those but not sure how...there's an antiqie dresser/chest and some solid wood roundish shaped end tables.

My preferred style is traditional or farm/country but designing and visualizing are not my forte to say the least. I've never had a decorating budget at all and dealt with mostly hand me downs and used furniture for the past 20 years. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (27)

  • 10 years ago

    I suggest a smaller television than 50 inch. You could use some real curtains. If you have patience you can find a lot of good things at thrift stores. The sofa looks like olive green. Do you like the color?

    Shandi Hunter thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    I thought anything less than a 50 inch would look bad...dwarfed by the size of the room...because of the cathedral ceiling.. No not a big fan of the olive green but I just got what I could take at the time... bought it used. The end tables are in bad shape too...rickety and spray painted! Ha! Should I try to stick with darker furnishings (entertainment center, tables, shelves) even though I love country shabby chic things? Just not sure how to make that look work in this room. I have a little money now to invest in this room and just don't want to waste it on the wrong things and it still look bad. Like I don't even know if I should go with dark entertainment center or light or what size or shape to even buy. The window faces the street and needs blinds and then what color curtains, style, texture of curtains?

  • 10 years ago

    Use the dresser as a tv credenza for the shabby chic look. Avoid dark entertainment center as it will overpower the room with the rest of your furnishings. Your sofas do not need to be against the wall. If you place your "dresser" where the tv will go, then arrange your sofas in an L shape with a table between them. Pieces to consider adding is an ottoman, an end table, and a plant or two.

    Shandi Hunter thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I had actually thought about that ...using the dresser for the tv but someone talked me out of it! So don't you think I should move it to the wall directly across the room and then go with like a 43 inch tv? Add white linen type tall curtains with black curtain rod? How about an area rug to pull the colors of couch and walls together? And new sofa cushions to help soften the olive green somehow? I'm so exited with the ideas! Thank you so much!

  • 10 years ago

    Try consignment stores for accessories. For rugs, Home Goods, Tuesday Morning and surprisingly Home Depot.

    Shandi Hunter thanked JustDoIt
  • 10 years ago

    I hope you will move the furniture around and give us more photos!

  • 10 years ago

    Awesome! I'm going to take your advice and post photos. I welcome any other suggestions for accessories,artwork, furniture, etc. For example should i mix light and dark furniture...are current tables too dark? Would a light oak look better or try to do all vintage white? My grandmothers roundish side tables and antique small dresser are oak colored. Opinions on distressing them white? Thanks so much!!!!

  • 10 years ago

    Oh or even distressing them another antiquish color with annie sloan chalk paint? Or is that sacrilege?

  • 10 years ago

    Also need advice on lamps. What about that floor lamp? Should I do something with it or get rid of it? Where should I place lamps throughour room? Ha! I really need alot of advice as you can see.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Shandi, do a search on Houzz photos for "chabby chic living room" and observe the pale colors used, the painted and distressed furniture mixed with stained pieces. Save the pictures you like to an idea book. Realize you won't get the same exact results in your space with existing pieces, but you can adapt to your own choices and love your look. All vintage white would not work with your existing pieces. Baby steps. One suggestions - decide on a color pallet that works with the pieces you are keeping - like your olive green sofas. Pick 3 colors you want to incorporate, such as shades of olive, linen, and cream. What would be your choice of colors?

    Shandi Hunter thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I love creams, grays, dark brown, rustic antique blues and I'll try to work with the olive green sofa. Right...baby steps...I realize I need to slow down my thinking a little. First things first. I'll post as I go along...coming here has already given me inspiration as well as helped me work with what I have to save money! Thank you!

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I rearranged...any suggestions? I'm going to probably get rid of the brown tables and replace with grandmothers round lighter tables. Perhaps slipcovers for the sofas? I think the pics are distorted bit if you click on them they straighten up.

  • 10 years ago
    Shandi, your getting good advice from Patricia. I don't mind your sofas so much, the shape is quite nice and with the right accessories and tables they will be fine. The dresser will make a wonderful tv console! And no, it is not sacrilege to paint old family furniture pieces. You are repurposing them to fit into your lifestyle so enjoy them in your style! And yes, Home Depot is a good place for area rugs; ordered one last year after looking all over and was so pleased with it. Good price too!
    Shandi Hunter thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I like your furniture arrangement! Consider distressing the console some. Your tables would shabby chic well if you decide to keep them awhile. Adding round tables will make a difference with all the square lines. You can tighten the sofas together a bit more and the table will look better. The most difference will be having a ottoman, pillows and a throw to comfy up the sofas.

    Shandi Hunter thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Awesome! I realized about the sofas and pulled them together and pushed back the table some so it fit snugly in between. Looks way better. Removed the table by the console and pushed that sofa closer to it making the arrangement more snug. Do you suggest a round ottoman or square and do you think solid or patterned?feeling so happy! Brought a 37 in tv from another room and it's actually working well in the space! I can't see getting a much larger one after all although my kids want a larger one of course lol!

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I think you can snug the sofas up corner to corner-don't need to see the table leg between them. TV console looks great. Round ottoman

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Still working on it. Looking better I believe. Went ahead and hung some pictures. Still have a blank wall I'm working on. My son said bookshelves but I'll wait and see how the small antique dresser will fit.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Wow! Looking very good. The idea of an antique dresser and possibly some botanical prints is intriguing. Try your floor lamp in the corner where you have hung pictures. The table lamp can go on the corner table with the glass piece on it.

  • 10 years ago

    I love the TV on the white console. See how much better things look pulled closer together. I have to tell you that almost every piece of hard goods in my house were from yard sales. thrift stores, hand-me-downs & I love them all so much more than new.

    I don't think one can ever have too many lamps, and yes, keep yours they are fine. Add some light colored pillows & a throw on one of the sofas to start. You do not need a rug I don't think.

    Sunset Trading Seacoast Ottoman Slip Cover Set, Slipcovered Ottoman · More Info

    Wait until you get the other pieces into the room before worrying too much about what else to do. Ikea has pillow covers starting at $3 apiece & check out their drapes. Go with light color drapes & hang them close to the ceiling down to the floor. Use rings with clips if they are light weight enough.

    Shandi Hunter thanked sandradclark
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I just caught up with what's been going on and Shandi, you are definitely on the right track! I love your entertainment center.

    Shandi Hunter thanked Bev
  • 10 years ago

    What a huge difference already. It won't take more than just a few finishing touches to really make your room work! I saw these pillow covers at IKEA and I think they would really look great with your sofas.

    Shandi Hunter thanked katinparadise
  • 10 years ago

    Love those!!! I love decor with birds on it too!

  • 10 years ago

    I'm glad. I thought they would add a little whimsy to your space and help tie in your sofas. I believe they're only $5 each from IKEA. I think a rectangular or round ottoman could fit will in your space. They can be quite expensive but you could check Craigslist or a consignment store. Think outside the box as well. A second hand coffee table with a piece of foam on top can easily become an ottoman. Then you can make an inexpensive slipcover that can be thrown in the wash. Painter's drop cloth can be washed and used for fabric and you can dye it any color you like.