Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dc_reno

Seeking countertop experts!

DC Reno
8 years ago

Ok, so I finally got home from my work trip yesterday and got to see our almost finished kitchen. It looks great except:

-as I have posted about earlier I don't like the rounded corner on the outside of the peninsula countertop. I had specifically asked for square corners.

- AND, we had chosen a cashmere Carrara countertop from Q MSI. Now I thought it looked a bit different, and I actually think we got something else: on the underside of the countertop is a stamp with Belenco. From what I can find online this is a different brand - unless anyone here knows differently and they happen to be the same??

would welcome any inputs from anyone who knows about these countertops, I will call my GC later in the day.

Thanks!

Comments (29)

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would contact the main office of MSI and ask where their Q quartz is manufactured. They are a distributor, so who knows, they may just sell whatever brand.

Check out this link from Belenco and MSI http://www.belenco.com/en/press-release/181-ms-international

Belenco is made in Turkey. I'd also call Belenco USA and ask if their brand is sold under a different name, i.e. Q by MSI.

1-844-BELENCO

• User
    8 years ago

Rounded corners are required for warranty sake. You cannot have a sharp corner. When buying off brand products, there is zero guarantee that you are purchasing something Breton made or that will stand up to any real world wear and tear. Importers switch sources all the time and you never know if you are getting Turkish, Vietnamese, or Chinese.

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Livewireoak, my issue with the corner is that one corner is significantly more rounded than the other.

I'm not sure I understand your second point. I ordered MSI Q, but think what they delivered is something else. I just spoke to MSI and they say their countertops wouldn't have anything Belenco stamped under them.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Hm, but then what about that link at Belenco?

MS International

Screen
    clipping advertisement of MS INTERNATIONAL, leading distributor of
    Natural Stone and Quartz Countertop, ran for Quartz in Kitchen and Batch
    Design magazine in March 2015 issue. Belenco Brand Chakra Beige
    displayed for the advertisement
    . This is very proud moment for both MSI
    and BELENCO."

The brochure states "Q quartz from MSI" Q Chakra Beige on countertop.

Of course, what's strange is that Belenco only lists "Cashmere White" as their color.

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know nosoccermom, I think it's weird too!

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nosoccermom, it is also stamped with 'cashmere white' I just noticed

• romy718
    8 years ago

You've probably already seen this on the Belenco website.

MSI website

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Romy. I had researched a lot about MSI and reviews etc before I chose it. There is very little about Belenco out there so I have no idea about quality etc. I can't believe they just gave me something different?!

• romy718
    8 years ago

Regarding your edge detail - I think that's what you are referring to when you say the outside corner is rounded versus squared - there are pictures on the MSI website of square edges on the outside corner of islands, etc. I think your GC just decided to do a rounded corner & I would fight that battle to get what I want. I added a link to this photo below.

MSI Edge Detail

DC Reno thanked romy718
  • DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yep, that's what I wanted Remy. I should also insist to get the MSI countertop I had picked out right? Ugh, I feel awful about this :(

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

So, it looks like you have a Belenco counter. The only question would be whether MSI Q Cashmere Cararra is the same as Belenco Cashmere White or not.

MSI told you that their counters don't say Belenco, right?

I'd call Belenco and ask them if their product is sold by MSI and if yes, under what name.

Did you buy the counter directly from MSI or did your GC arrange it? Is there a way to get a q MSI sample?

• jellytoast
    8 years ago

I have eased edges on my countertops and square corners everywhere except on the peninsula corner (other corner of peninsula butts into a wall). The fabricator suggested that this was an area that could be subject to a bit of abuse in that it could be bumped against by those entering the room from a certain angle. A rounded corner there would be less uncomfortable if bumped against, and less prone to damage. His points made sense and after he completed the work, I could see that the rounded corner in this particular location really is more practical. That said, if I had two corners on both ends of a peninsula, I would want them to be equally rounded. In any case, your fabricator should have consulted with you before deviating from the specs. Did you look again at the drawings you signed off on? It's possible that a rounded corner was specified in that location and you didn't notice it.

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nosoccermom, thanks for your advice! I called Belenco and they also said they are a separate brand from MSI. I didn't order mine through MSI, my GC organized it. I just don't feel comfortable with this, especially not knowing anything about Belenco quality etc.

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I spoke to my GC and he will talk to the countertop fabricator. He said he ordered the MSI Q so not sure what happened.

• romy718
    8 years ago

The Belenco mixup is your opportunity to get the edge detail you want & of course, the countertop you selected.

DC Reno thanked romy718
  • DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is the stamp under the counter:

And this:

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The receipt the fabricator sent to my GC says cashmere carrara. At this point I am not sure where the mix-up lays.

• User
    8 years ago

Same same. No problem.

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Could you please elaborate Sophie? Thanks.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Did you ever figure out whether they are the same or not?

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not really... I don't think they are but the fabricator insists they are. He has however offered to either remove them or give us a discount if we choose to keep these. Waiting to hear what type of discount and then we'll decide. The countertops have grown on me in the past few days though :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I commented on your other thread without realizing you were the OP on this thread. I didn't notice anything amiss--your counters look great. I know it's disappointing when something isn't as you'd planned and imagined and obsessed over ;), but I'd keep them!

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aw, thanks mama goose. They were different from what I had pictured but I do like them now :)

• User
    8 years ago

Do you know if the Q counter you selected is made with Breton? Some Q is and some is made in China with different technology. The Chinese manufacturers of the Q products have posted some antagonistic things here just because we asked about the technology. They've also posted pretending to be customers. I am leery of MSI as a result, and now even moreso after what they told you. Since you like the Belenko, I'd prefer that over Q since you know it's Breton.

I requested squared corners on my peninsula with my Pentalquartz install and got them.

• DC Reno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks mayflowers. Yes the Q was also Breton, or so they said.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Breton, Schmeton. The Chinese make some dang fine quartz.

• req68027
    6 years ago

I have this exact same scenario. Ordered MSI Cashmere Carrara, counters are stamped with the Belenco Kashmera white on the bottom. Curious if anyone ever came clean with you on this mix up?

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You could always contact Belenco and ask. Turkish site:http://www.belenco.com/en/

and info@belenco.com

There's a Beleco USA corporation, but it seems to be a one-woman outfit. Tel. 844-Belenco.

More info on Belenco: http://www.stoneworld.com/articles/86692-quartz-surfacing-producer-emerges-in-turkey

Looks like MSI is an importer, not the manufacturer, so who knows what's really behind their MSI Cashmere Carrara.

844-BELENCO & Fax: 855-4-BELENCO: 844-BELENCO & Fax: 855-4-BELENCO

Tel: 844-BELENCO & Fax: 855-4-BELENCO 844-BELENCO & Fax: 855-4-BELENCO

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!