Software
Houzz Logo Print
lesley_robbins

Wood floors

10 years ago
Need help in deciding between heart of pine or Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors. My husband prefers Brazilian Cherry, but I'm not sure what color finish on wood furniture ( dining room table, bedroom furniture, accent tables, etc) and entry doors would work best with Brazilian Cherry. Our kitchen cabinets will be white and island painted gray.

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Brazilian Cherry = Jatoba. It starts out mellow but darkens and strengthens its colour to BRILLIANT reds/oranges/browns. I mean "gem tone" reds/oranges. This is a common colour range for Jatoba. The OTHER colour range = PINK/PURPLE!!!! You might want to explain this to hubby. You have to be ready for BOTH colours. And the Jatoba floors are magnificent when in the orange/red/brown colours. North Americans are able to work well with these colours. The problems start with the PINK/PURPLE/GRAPE colours. Imagine a house with pink/purple wood floors...wow!

    I am fascinated by Jatoba...but even I am not brave enough to work with them. I love red...hate pink. Hence the reason I'm not about the risk the pink/purple side of this wood.

    Heart Pine is a strong orange/brown. A very common/traditional N. American colour range that is very strong in colour. It can slowly darken but it has a stable colour palette. The colours you see today = the same colours you see in 3 years from now just a snick darker. Jatoba = BIG difference in 3 MONTHS!!!! And don't put down area rugs for the first 12 months with Jatoba or you will be in tears when you move the rug. I'm not kidding. Check houzz to see how many people HATE their Brazilian Cherry/Jatoba....too many to shake a stick at.

    Just to be clear, reds can have problems playing nice with gray. Orange has a hard time playing with gray. Pink/purple has a hard time playing with gray. Your designer has to be very, very talented to get Heart Pine to work nicely with grays. S/he has to be a design SAVANT to get gray to work well with Jatoba. I mean s/he has to be brilliant with the benefit of "second sight" to "see" what the Jatoba will be in 1 year...and that is assuming they know if it will turn orange or if it will turn purple.

    Imagine designing colours for the jewel tone orange of Jatoba only to have the PURPLE of the Jatoba show up....O.M.G.! Yah. Tears are just the beginning of the heartache.

    Please get hubby to have a look at the purple side of Jatoba. If he thinks that is still "cool" or "beautiful" or an "acceptable risk" then have fun.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I love Jatoba!!! And also note it changes in days and weeks sometimes not months. Best wood ever imo!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    We just used Cupray Brown Brazilian exotic. We love it. Walls are Tony Taupe.

    Laguna Beach Room Addition and Kitchen relocation · More Info

    Laguna Beach Kitchen Remodel · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    @ultimate hardwood ltd What finish do you recommend on Jatoba. I'm pretty sure we will do just a natural finish, but do you have a particular product that works best for this type floor? Also, I saw someone post about using a little green penetrating stain to make the red more brown. Is this something you would do initially or later on?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'd use only Rubio monocoat pure on bc. Make sure to negotiate the oils in the wood with 'raw wood cleaner' before applying the pure.