Software
Houzz Logo Print
crabigailadams

Foyer -- privacy curtains?

10 years ago

So my front door is glass with sidelights, and I need something to help with privacy. I don't want to drill into the door, so I'm thinking big sweeping curtains across the whole doorway. We live in the mountains and all the house hardware is Oil-rubbed Bronze -- should the curtain rod be ORB also, or should it be white because the wall is white? I'd like it to be NOT about the hardware, but I feel funny about the white. The curtains are a red and cream buffalo check, which I will sweep to the right of the door during the day. Yes? No?



Comments (22)

  • 10 years ago

    They make small tension rods just for this purpose. You could do opaque sheers that would let in the light but make it hard to see in. They would fit into the glass space rather than hanging in the way. A more traditional look, also would eliminate the worry about rod color.

    Shauna thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    How "in the mountains" are you? Are there people on the other side of that door? Does it look into a living area that is heavily occupied at night? Is it really a problem?
    Shauna thanked kcmnc
  • 10 years ago

    If privacy is that much of an issue why don't you just replace the door with a solid one & use sheer sidelight panels. Where are you that it is an issue?

    Shauna thanked tooky58
  • 10 years ago
    Can people REALLY see in? And if they do, what do they see? You just walking from one room to another? If this was looking into a bathroom, I could see the need, but into a foyer, I'd reconsider...
    Shauna thanked km kane
  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't replace the door which is clearly made for the house.

    Shauna thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    I just love the idea of door curtains. It's very English, I think. And your entry would look so inviting with the buffalo check. I agree that the white would be odd for the hardware. ORB wouldn't attract attention, imo, in fact it's needed with the weight of the color and pattern of the curtains.
    Please post when you are done. Love this idea!
    Shauna thanked someoneone
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Nice foyer! BUT I agree with Jan--that door is more appropriate for a back or side door, not a front door. Replace it with a traditional 6-panel solid wood door. Unless your foyer is open to the rest of the home, you really don't need sidelight curtains. If it is, then I would do sheer gathered door curtains (rods on top and bottom). Having a heavy checked curtain covering the entire front door would look a bit weird.

    Shauna thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 10 years ago

    We're VERY in the mountains; we are 30 minutes from the nearest town, and most of those people don't know there are homes up here. Everything is fine until it's dark, and then comes a creep factor, especially when the German Shepherds bark at the door for no reason at 11 pm. The foyer looks right into the great room, where I watch until the news is over. My neighbor feels the same way in her master bedroom -- sure there's no one out there, but ...

    I think Meowzza gets where I'm going with this. I want a house, not a cabin, so while I'm walking a fine line -- giving a nod to the mountains here and there -- I'm trying for an "Americanized" English country house. We'll see if it can be pulled off ... ! I'm still unpacking, so I haven't lived with the house to totally get it, if you catch my meaning.

  • 10 years ago
    Do the ORB rods to match the cabin feel of your house which is beautiful btw
    Shauna thanked gustaruygers
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Oh my! You're worrying about the foyer when you have those HUGE floor-to-ceiling windows in the back??? You need privacy on all your windows given your situation. Is there a window treatment retailer near you? I'd call for a consultation--you need a professional to help you with the large windows in the den.

    Shauna thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 10 years ago
    I would go ORB. This could be VERY cool. In addition to eliminating the creep factor, the curtains will keep the winter chill out.
    Shauna thanked Carol Singletary
  • 10 years ago

    Diana, the windows in the back of the living room are seven feet off the ground and surrounded by forest, so they don't seem so creepy! I will go and order the ORB rod and post when it all gets put up. You all are FAB!


  • 10 years ago

    Do not replace that door. I love your idea of wall to wall curtains. I would do ORB hardware.

  • 10 years ago

    Is this what you're shooting for? It's beautiful.

  • 10 years ago

    I understand what you are going for now. It's a lovely idea. It would definitely help with not just privacy but warmth.

  • 10 years ago
    Is that your real living room? It is amazing. Stunning.
  • 10 years ago
    What are you doing with my dream house?
  • 10 years ago

    I live in the mountains too and the dogs are usually barking at critters at night. I understand the creep factor, but with me, I know that curtains aren't going to save me from any creep, burglar or otherwise that wants to get in. But you must do what keep you feeling safe and what looks great in your home. I'd suggest something that matches the other window coverings you already have, or at least making sure they match what you'll put up in the future. Wooden woven blinds would be nice and rustic.

  • 10 years ago

    door curtains are beautiful, but ive resisted putting them over my leaky double doors. thats the main fire exit, and the last thing i want to do during the night is try to find the door through the drapes.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I've lived in the mountains (moved from DC) and it definitely took some getting used to at night. The absence of human noises and presence of nature noises, along with the sense of isolation, can definitely up the "creep factor" as you say. I suggest living with it for a little while and then seeing if you still feel vulnerable. Perhaps some lighting in the front of the house would help, so you don't feel like you could be snuck up on? Enjoy your beautiful new home!

    ETA brainstorm: Put up curtains on a tension rod to see how you like the look first. No sense in drilling into your beautiful boards if it doesn't look how you imagine it.

  • 10 years ago
    What did you end up doing for your entry?