Software
Houzz Logo Print
greenwoodframed

How high to tile backsplash?

10 years ago

Our architect and GC are at odds over how high to tile our backsplash behind our stove. We have a 36" Bluestar range going in and a 42" zephyr hood. We are using a white mosiac tile that is 6" tall. Our architect wants to bring the tile up slighly higher than the bottom of the hood, and our GC insists it will look better ending right at the bottom of the hood. Architect says this will look more "modern" which I am torn about- the kitchen is traditional with shaker cabinets. I can't decide and need to make a decision soon to order tile. Which way would you go?



Tile:


Architect drawing with tile going above the hood:


www.greenwoodframed.com

Comments (20)

  • 10 years ago
    I would take it a little higher than even the architect said - to the bottom of the flue (past the entire hood base). Pretty backsplash!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    if you search 'tile behind range hood' in the houzz search box, you'll see it done that way, lower, and higher.... some of it will depend on the height of adjacent cabinets. myself, i'd bring it to the top of the cabinets.

    Rustic Modern · More Info
    Friedman · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I would do it to the ceiling

    Teri Turan · More Info

    Moraga Residence · More Info

    Campbell Kitchen Remodel · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    And I love the backsplash you chose.

  • 10 years ago

    I think going to the ceiling might be too much for us- the kitchen is quite large (for NYC anyway!) and has a wall of windows behind the sink on an adjacent wall which I think are really the wow factor of the space.


    Thanks for the love on the tile- I'm really excited to see it installed! I hope the installation isn't a huge pain for the guys... the tile is not cheap!

  • 10 years ago

    I would do it to the ceiling. It will make it stand out LESS than if you stop it at some arbitrary line. It will read more like a subtle wallpaper texture by going to the ceiling. Stopping it midway, will draw your eye to it.

  • 10 years ago

    Maybe post in the kitchen forum for their suggestions as they've seen it all.

  • 10 years ago

    the problem is the cabinets do not go to the ceiling, so you'd have tile going above them.

    ranmarie good call on the part arabesque tiles. i guess this is the reason i never care for them when i see them used, all those snipped off ends. ending them high would be better than low tho. but OP needs to have a finished edge on them, bullnose or somehow.

  • 10 years ago

    Love that tile too. But not for your application. As others have mentioned you will need an edge. Whether its Schuller or tile trim, it won't work. You need straight edge or solid glass.

  • 10 years ago

    Can you put the cabs up to that ceiling? It would be a much cleaner installation.

  • 10 years ago
    Take it to the ceiling. It's beautiful.
  • 10 years ago

    I'd go with the architect's suggestion (or take it all the way up). Somehow I find the look more pleasing. Your eyes get to travel a tad more..Height differences usually enhance our impression of the space..of most spaces. I suspect it has to do with how we are wired. When we see, say, a tree in the field, or a ship in the sea..it kinda signals the possibility of hope(shade, food, other people..))

    Back to the subject-yes, I agree about the necessity to think how the tile will end..you'll need some border there(maybe you have it already at hand). Saying this as somebody who had tiles for her backsplash for half a year, waiting to be installed, and realized just yesterday that backsplash ends at some point, and needs to look nice there too..))) My tiles are easier, I just asked for glazed edges. Still, it's a delay.

    And just to add-your tile is really pretty.

  • 10 years ago
    I would take it all the way up
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would agree with the idea to take it all the way up.

    To answer your specific question, I would definitely use the advice of the architect. You hired one party to be your design consultant and the other to be your construction consultant.

    I wonder how well the reverse conversation would go (just for a silly example, how would the contractor react if the architect came in and said, all the other contractors I work with use hammers, what are these guys doing always using power drivers?!)

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for all the replies!


    Our GC is actually a design-built firm but we have hired them only for the construction portion, so they do have pretty good taste generally. We were planning on capping the top of the tile will some sort of bullnose, tbd by architects recommendation.


    Unfortunately we cannot bring the cabinets to the ceiling- they are custom and would cost a fortune to extend, plus we'll have a LOT of them already and I don't know if we actually need more! I'll never get into them anyway.

  • 10 years ago
    Do rooms need to have crown moulding. Is it in style or is it a matter of taste?
  • 10 years ago

    I can't tell how far it is from the tops of the upper cabs to the ceiling. If it is a large space then I would stop at the cab tops.

  • 10 years ago

    suzyq53 I believe we have about 10" to the ceiling.

  • 10 years ago
    I would take it to the top of the cabinets or to the ceiling. The vent is a major feature and needs to be properly framed. Very pretty tile, btw.