Software
Houzz Logo Print
lslav2012

Looking For a Little Self-Validation

10 years ago
We moved into this house, our very first, about a year ago. We're not certain of the exact year, but it was built late 1800's/ early 1900's. More Edwardian than Victorian, I think. Anyway, this was our master bedroom. To say it lacked any original character is an understatement. Unfortunately, the whole house is in the same sad state, but we've managed to fix the living room and our room so far.

I know this is just one angle of the room, and so hard to give any thorough suggestions, but I'd appreciate any you can give. We do plan to add crown moulding in the future. What else? Any ideas? And, how do you think we've done so far?

Thanks in advance!

pic 1: before
pic 2: during
pic 3: now

Comments (25)

  • 10 years ago
    Wow! This is an amazing transformation!
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you!
  • 10 years ago

    Beautiful! I love the dark paint on the wall! Very striking!

  • 10 years ago

    I love it! But, one thing add with hem glue trim of lace to half inch from floor.

  • 10 years ago
    I love it, too! It's Benjamin Moore Black-pm something or other...I'd have to check. I got soooo many eyerolls from people when I said I was painting it black. My parents thought I was reverting back to my teenage goth days. ; ) The trim and ceiling are Linen White, also Benjamin Moore.
  • 10 years ago
    Another angle, for additional imput.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'm going to be using black in my bedroom, when I have the time! I just hope it turns out as beautiful as your master bedroom!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Drapes to the floor , maybe add something to the bottom that goes with the rest of the decor,

  • 10 years ago

    lslav2012, Great job!!! What you've shown us in the pics looks great. Restoring an old home is a labor of love, but so worthwhile. The only general advice I'd give is to use the best quality materials and workmen you can afford; you'll be happier in the long run, as things will hold up to people living in the house. May you uncover hidden treasures as you rehab-- we've gotten lots of architectural surprises, some good and some bad, over the 17 years we've been in our fixerupper!

  • 10 years ago
    Should the curtains just graze the floor, or sort of pool a bit? There's some additional length that could be let out, but not sure there's enough for pooling.
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe hem them with a black and ivory buffalo check? Or a solid band of black silk...
  • 10 years ago

    Drapes grazing the floor will be perfect! Gosh, this is a nice retreat! Good for you!


  • 10 years ago

    A round table will be nice. Crystal lighting will be a bonus.

  • 10 years ago
    Neither my husband nor I care for crystal, but I agree there's an element of "shiny" missing. I'd LOVE a gold gilt framed mirror! If only...
  • 10 years ago

    You can paint one. It is not hard. What else is going in the room? What do you want the room to feel like?

  • 10 years ago

    I hope you will wallpaper somewhere in the house. Very nice work so far. I nearly fainted when I saw the before picture.

  • 10 years ago
    Ha!!
    @emmarene, we took down sooooo much hideous wallpaper in the living room, I'm not sure I can stand to put any up! Except maybe in the main floor bathroom- a nice chinoiserie there could be really elegant.
  • 10 years ago
    @ happyleg, I think our style really lends itself more to Federal/ Georgian. I'd have loved the grand chunkier door and window mouldings associated with the look, but it wasn't in budget. I think a traditional convex mirror would look great- the Syroco reproductions are semi-decent and inexpensive. Maybe?
  • 10 years ago

    This looks amazing! My daughter wanted two walls in her bedroom to be painted black and everyone loves it, even my husband who normally likes everything white.

  • 10 years ago

    Looks nice and smart, as the white stops the black getting too depressing.

  • 10 years ago

    Looks fabulous! Agree that a gilded mirror would be a great addition. Your hard work paid off!

  • 10 years ago

    You might hold off on the crown molding -- I think it will mostly make the ceiling feel lower. Otherwise, great stuff!

  • 10 years ago

    Would love to see before and afters of the living room too.