Software
Houzz Logo Print
leefordp

Ideas, please!

10 years ago

Reposting....

We are planning to rebuild our front step this year, as it was poorly designed and installed before we bought the house 16 years ago. We are thinking of using paver blocks and bluestone, much like we used for our back step (see pics). We may also re-lay the front walk. The area to the left of the front door leaves me stumped - the Rhodies we have there have never done well - neither have the azaleas. It gets hot summer sun from about noon to sunset. Similar plants to the right of the front door have done very well (more sun). I am thinking of turning the front square patch of grass into a garden and planting a small dogwood in front of the walk, but am not sure. I have perennial gardens out by the street. Any ideas would be welcome!

Comments (11)

  • 10 years ago

    What state/climate do you live in?

  • 10 years ago

    New Jersey, zone 6. We are in the 'burbs of NYC.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago


    maybe some colorful pots, large ones, and plant something vertical and the others with some color? I feel that area needs a little pizazz. Not familiar w/your plants in your zone, so best to go to nursery and ask. I would do 3 large pots of varying size in a reddish tone to match your trim, and maybe one in a mustard or green. something along these lines.

    Mission Revival · More Info

    leefordp thanked Beth H. :
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @leefordp, we live in Southern CA, and the front of our previous home faced west, so it got A LOT of sun in the afternoons. We had a long window box across a large front window that was filled with ivy geranium year round. Unlike zonal geranium, ivy geranium are great...they trail and spill all over making them perfect for planter boxes (or hanging containers). They also bloom year round here. Below the window we had a boxwood hedge. Just wondering if that might work for you since the geranium and boxwood worked so well for us in full sun (full, HOT sun in summer). Also, I think a window box on your front window would be a good fit with your cute house and provide some color. The boxwood hedge can be trimmed as low as you like, and you could just let the grass fill in up to the boxwood.

    You might consider trimming the planting to the right of the door down a bit to expose more of the window.

  • 10 years ago
    maybe get rid of grass in that square, mulch entire area and plant a japanese maple that can take sun....takeyama(sp) or waterfall. add ground hugging junipers in that same bed and maybe a large interesting rock. you also may want to remove a shrub on the right side and plant elsewhere in your yard...a little crowded there. dogwoods can get burned leaves fpall day sun. do you like crepe myrtles or vitex(chaste tree)? they can take more sun.
  • 10 years ago
    fpall=full sun typo
  • 10 years ago

    I like liserb's suggestion of a Japanese maple. We have several in our yard...beautiful. Tons of varieties...just be careful about the full sun. As liserb suggested, Tamukeyama and Waterfall can tolerate more sun, along with Crimson Queen and Shania, to name a few...many more. They are gorgeous trees!

  • 10 years ago

    I would think about changing the porch completely by building a raised deck which will extend over to the left portion over to the protruded area where the garage is to be a very likely option for you.

    I would make it at least two levels & curve it into a circular design with the steps drawn out very wide & angled to walk off to the front as well as toward the driveway. Adding a very large potted Japanese maple to be placed in front of the wide front window as well as several other potted flowering shade tolerant plants coming down the steps.

  • 10 years ago

    Is the stoop not structurally sound? I don't like the railing but the dimensions of the stoop seem fine. It seems like the cheapest thing to do would be to have it shored up and get more attractive railing.

  • 10 years ago

    @ emmarene, the footings for the existing stoop were not installed deep enough. In the winter, the ground freezes and the whole platform lifts to the point of making it difficult to open the door. Also, I have to place the welcome mat way out by the first step because the door won't open if I put it where it belongs. The decking material itself is 16 or so years old and is showing a lot of wear. I think a stone step and black metal railing would be more attractive.

    @ chloebud and liserb1357, I have actually thought of planting a Japanese maple. My only concern is that the sewer line runs out of the front of the house (only a few feet down) and through that very spot. I would be concerned about roots disrupting the system over time. I already have two plum trees and a dogwood to the left of the driveway just out of the picture. I was think of bringing in a little more variety of leaf color, but do still like the idea of a Japanese maple. I was thinking of a dogwood because they seem to remain small and ornamental. I also looked into a paperbark maple (gorgeous!), but boy howdy, those can be expensive. You have given me thoughtful and helpful suggestions that I will consider...thank you!

    @sandradclark, @briancamp you have tossed out a whole new idea that I had not considered! I am going to look at my house again to see if I can envision it..thanks for your suggestions.