Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsui

Bathroom tile undertones look off

betsui
7 years ago

After our bathroom tiles were installed we called our interior architect and said, this does not look right. He took a look and said he did not notice anything shocking about the tiles. Does this look off to anyone else ? He suggested that with some paint perhaps we could improve the look.

Comments (17)

• hatetoshop
    7 years ago

What did he suggest you paint?

• Mary Rimmell
    7 years ago
    What I am assuming is that he thinks that once the tub,shower, toilet etc is in it will even out the color difference between the floor tile and whatever material it is that you used on the wall. Can't really make it out. Then he is thinking that a wall color will pull it all together. However I don't think it would work. The floor tile has more of a "pink" undertone where the wall has almost a "yellow" undertone. In professional opinion I would say that before you go any further with this project you revisit this and get it resolved.
  • Snaggy
    7 years ago

They look slightly

pinkish to me ..but that could be my screen ?

• PRO
    shelly cipriani design
    7 years ago
    Looks like two different colors or dye lots .
    Check the boxes if you still have them. Definitely off.
  • Carol Johnson
    7 years ago
    Who selected the colors (floor & wall tile)?
  • Kathy
    7 years ago
    Are they all same tiles? Or two different colors? Of course they look different...just wondering.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

One looks like marble and the other like porcelain to me and I also see the pink versus another undertone

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    They are definitely two different colors.
  • acm
    7 years ago

I'm surprised that the person you're asking is an architect -- did you not have an actual designer involved in the... design process? Because if he can't see that the pink and yellow aren't compatible, he shouldn't have advised you on any finishes...

• Katbv Vero
    7 years ago
    He just blew it and doesn't want to redo it. You could bring the color up to the walls but it seems to have a gray undertone to the floor tile and I don't think you want that pink color.
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

You're dealing with 2 different tiles. It's always best for the customer to check the tiles prior to installation. Keep in mind, samples are samples. When the actual product comes in you still need to check coloring. Dye-lots and batch runs do vary with man made and natural products. What looks good in the showroom will look different in your home.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago

Yes, it is not compatible. I hope you can get this resolved. Best of luck.

• julieru
    7 years ago
    You hVe to be careful when putting "neutral"colors together in a room. They are another color that has been toned down significantly. You have a yellow gray on the walls and a purple gray on the floor of this shower. Apart it is not so obvious, but together they are opposites on the color wheel and will intensify each other. You need to pick one to be more dominant and accessorize with the other to downplay the difference if you can't change it.
  • Terri Henderson
    7 years ago

Looks like yellow and pink.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

I love the reminder about how many men have slight colour blindness. It is a VERY high percentage of the male population have at least one form of colour blindness. Usually it is subtle.

I can see a snick of yellow on the walls and a snick of pink on the floor. It is VERY possible that the architect doesn't see it because he CAN'T see it. It is very possible this was an honest mistake.

I'm glad you are going to change the floor. I think it will help keep things in line.

• leelee
    7 years ago

These are two different tiles, right? Why didn't you just use the same tiles or a different size of the wall tiles for the shower floor? That would drive me crazy. It really looks bad because it's close but different. A color with contrast would be better.

The floor tiles would have to come out and be redone.