Software
Houzz Logo Print
brockwellk

What's wrong with this room?

10 years ago

We have changed our kids play room from being very dark furniture to lighter furniture to lighten things up. But I'm really not happy with how it's turned out. It looks very cold & clinical. The changes I'm planning on is to add doors to the second bookcase, & add some abstract artwork (but I have no idea what colours!) a few decorator items, maybe some cupcake money boxes or something, maybe paint the walls. The house is open plan & the other rooms have brown Roman blinds, do I need to do the same since it's all the same area? Any suggestions for improvement are welcome :)

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago

    I'd replace the solid rug with a patterned one -- perhaps an arabesque or fretwork design. You can also add pattern/color with pillows on the sofa. Artwork should be larger scale above the toy storage. I'd add a fun light fixture or ceiling fan. I don't think window treatments in this space must match the other spaces (though I might have a different opinion if you showed me a panoramic of the whole floor). Good luck!

  • 10 years ago
    i think you should change your sofacolor to a bold color like nature bull leather and a carpet with light color partern
  • 10 years ago
    Move the bookcases so they face each other on opposite walls... Move the sofa to to opposite end of the room so it helps define the space but you can still see in... Move the low toys etc that are now on the right side, under the window... And probably a patterned rug or foam squares would be more colorful and practical...
  • 10 years ago

    I'd place the toy shelves on the opposite wall from where they are now, then they are not the first thing you see when you look into the room.

    Karly Blackmore thanked hatetoshop
  • 10 years ago
    Duplicate post. More Comments on the other one.
    Karly Blackmore thanked rocketjcat
  • 10 years ago

    No it's not a bay window, but yes it definately needs some type of window covering

  • 10 years ago

    Since it is a kids room I'll give you a couple ideas that are inexpensive and easily changed as they grow. For the artwork, I would buy three framed posters of whatever the kids are into right now. The couch and rug look more like they are for adults than kids. You can get a cute kids sheet to make a slip cover for the couch. Maybe some big pink polka dots for a different shape from the squares of the cubbyholes. If you don't sew then you can just put it over the couch, tuck it in around the cushions and some well placed safety pins can help hold it in place. If you do sew, get a set of sheets and one can be used for the couch and the other for material to make a valance for the top of the window. Long curtains hanging down within reach of small kids can be an Uh-Oh waiting to happen. For the rug,e stencils and material paint could turn it into a cute rug for kids. Maybe some little stone paths lined with flowers leading to the different play areas. They also have rugs for kids that have various things on them like roads leading through areas that is fun for them with toy cars.

    Karly Blackmore thanked slake2000
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you, some great ideas there :)

  • 10 years ago
    For art, you could frame your kids' art in acrylic poster frames, changing the picture frequently. Colorful art looks amazing in a uniform row of frames, and they'll love it! Get big frames -- like 24" x 36" -- because they'll bring home big art when they start school. Keep a stack of colorful large construction paper on hand to "mat" smaller creations. Frames are inexpensive at craft and big box stores.