Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa7310

To fertilize or not to fertilize

Lisa McEachern
7 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a Hoya tricolor and I'm not sure if I should use bloom boosters or not to try to get it in the mood to produce peduncles and flower. I'm nt sure how old it is but the pot is full. It is happy and producing lots of new leaves. I will include a pic of it.

Comments (11)

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

To be honest, bloom boosters are not beneficial in any way, and can actually be harmful. I use MiracleGro water soluble tomato food (cheap and works just fine) in conjunction with DynaGro FoliagePro liquid (at foliar feed rate) as a foliar application weekly.

Carnosas take their sweet time to bloom. You could open the curtains on that window for an hour or two each day, for a week. Then for three or four hours for another week. Then leave them open all day, to see if more light encourages blooms. Be sure to rotate your plants, so that the leaves are uniform in color. Hoyas can tolerate a lot more light than people think!

http://www.gardenmyths.com/bloom-booster-fertilizer-nonsense/

Hope I have helped!

• Kim
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh geeze... thanks for the link. Need to get some tomato food this weekend. Good thing my plant care regimen includes flushing the soil out frequently, but all the same. Now, what to do with this big package of MGBB?

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Throw it in your outdoor garden! Or in a field...or sell it! Easier for huge spaces to be flushed than a 4 inch pot!

• Monica bf N. Carolina zone 7B
    7 years ago

I find a lot of fertilizers don't contain calcium. Do you find this an important nutrient for Hoyas? I do have Dyna Gro foliage pro and KLN.

I don't see calcium listed on a lot of the miracle grow products.

• moonwolf_gw
    7 years ago

I also use Miracle Gro tomato food and the Hoyas love it :). They also go outside for the spring and summer. They love the humidity!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Lisa McEachern
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok I didn't realize that bloom boosters could be harmful. I'll try the tomato food if I can find it. Any idea how old it is?? I'm guessing a year or two, but not 100% sure. I also read that Hoya carnosas are slow growers so maybe I just have to be patient and wait for it to bloom.
  • aurorawa
    7 years ago

Monica, the tomato food has calcium. Calcium is important to any plant. Hoyas need standard trace amounts, but I have read eriostemmas benefit from more.

• partycat
    7 years ago

aurorawa, MG Tomato food is awesome. Just started using it 3 weeks ago and already lots of action. Do you taper off in fall/winter?

• gvargo883_mst
    7 years ago

This forum is a treasure trove of info. I have bloom booster but haven't been using it because most of my Hoyas are in 4" pots. I do have tomato food though and it certainly is cheaper. I've been using it on brugmansias (and tomatoes) and they're growing like crazy. I just repotted them like 2-3 weeks ago and the roots are already coming out of the bottom of the pots they're in. Thanks for the tip!

gloria

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

I taper off in the fall for most of them. But for buotii, halcoensis, campanulata, and a few other ones that are heavy feeders, I don't taper.

Sponsored