Software
Houzz Logo Print
jbegleyschmidt

curb appeal and front entry redo, help please!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I need some advice on how to improve this situation. At a minimum, I have to hire someone to replace the railings, the cracked walkway and the tilting bottom step. (the bottom step is purposely separated from the rest of the porch, for some reason.) I spoke with a railings guy, and he said he'd have to move the railing holes away from the edge of the concrete porch floor and, consequently, on the roof overhang. That would leave ugly patched holes in the porch and the overhang. I have never liked the style of the low-sloping roof overhang, anyway, but it seems like a big (i.e. $$$) job to redo that.

I'd love any suggestions for a suitable alternative walkway/porch/rail/roof combination. I'd also like to tidy up the sad landscaping. I'm having trouble envisioning what can be done and estimating a ballpark idea of what it would cost? I live on the north shore of Chicago. Any recommendations for the type of professional I should work with to get a cohesive look would be appreciated, too. Thanks so much.

**I'm editing to add that we have plans to change the paint. We have to replace the railing because it is rusting through in several places and the concrete walk because the slope causes water to pool/ice over. We've held off as long as we can.

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago
    Easy job.....I would add a pergola/arbor over garage door in white,add a raised box planter made of stone right of the door with a columnar purple leaf beech and coral drift roses.add boxwood as a hedge
    jbegleyschmidt thanked michallenwi
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Looks wise, the biggest improvement would come from new paint. The reddish color does not work with the brick. I'd choose a darker color for the garage door, and an accent color for the shutters.

    jbegleyschmidt thanked PPF.
  • 10 years ago

    A landscaping company could address all your issues that you stated: landscaping, front steps, and railing.

    What I notice about your house though, and I know you didn't ask for help with this, is that the color of your shutters and siding does not work with the brick. If you changed them, everything else could be overlooked. The landscaping is ok, and I can not see anything wrong with the railing. The cracked sidewalk? I'd live with it if correcting it isn't in the budget. But I would definitely change the color of the shutters and siding. Sorry.


    jbegleyschmidt thanked DiggingInTheDirt
  • 10 years ago
    And paint is much cheaper than new steps/railing!
    jbegleyschmidt thanked Carol Singletary
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the comments! We totally agree about the paint color. I edited my post to say that we have plans to change the color of the siding and shutters. Unfortunately we have held off as long as we can for the walkway and railing. The railing is rusting through in a few spots, and the slope of the walkway causes water to pool and ice over. Thanks again.

  • 10 years ago

    I like the house...lots of charm! I agree new paint would make a big difference. Definitely a darker shade for the garage door so it's not such a focal point.

    I looked at your first photo, and the angle makes it look like there's nothing behind that garage/front wall...if that makes sense!

    jbegleyschmidt thanked chloebud
  • 10 years ago

    So you have to address the underlying issue that makes the water pool/ice on your walkway. If you replace the walkway with something that has the same slope, you will continue to have the problem. No?

    And I have a question about removing the railing. I'm confused about the reason there would be holes that need to be patched. Wouldn't you use those same holes to install the new railing?

    And have a question about your request for roof suggestions. What specifically did you want suggestions for?

    jbegleyschmidt thanked DiggingInTheDirt
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, they would need to adjust the grade when we have the walk replaced to address the water pooling issue.

    When the railing guy came out he said he couldn't put the new posts in the existing holes because when they put the original railing in they put it too close to the edge. If he tried to reuse the holes the concrete would likely crack, as there are already small cracks

    As far as the overhang, I prefer the look of a gable. I'm not sure if it could work, though, based on the architecture of the house.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the clarification. In my area, we have good landscaping companies that do all kinds of outdoor amenities. You could contact one or more of them to get their input.

    Your house will look amazing after you paint the shutters and siding! Keep us posted!

    jbegleyschmidt thanked DiggingInTheDirt
  • 10 years ago

    @Access Custom Garage Door, that looks great!

  • 10 years ago

    jbegleyschmidt thanked er612
  • 10 years ago

    jbegleyschmidt thanked er612