Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy_heath36

African Violet Propagation

Wendy Heath
7 years ago

I have an African Violet that has done wonderfully well in my home (zone 5b) and I leave it in year round. The beginning of this spring, I took 4 leaf cuttings to propagate new plants. I put them in soil specifically for African Violets. One, I kept the stem quite long; the second I cut the stem to 1.5"; the third I cut right to the edge of the leaf; and the fourth one I cut a V into the leaf (I had read all these different methods). I dipped all of them in rooting hormone, planted, watered and put in grow light. There were there for almost 3 months, still green and healthy, but no young plants. So I read to water, put them in plastic bags, blow up the bags, and put in diffused light. I have done that for almost 3 weeks now. The leaves still seem to be doing well, again no baby plants. Any suggestions?

Comments (18)

• Royals fan-MO6a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If the leaves are still healthy you will probably still get babies with patience. The leaves are probably filling the space with roots right now. Older leaves can also take longer. One of these days, you will check on them and will be pleasantly surprised with tiny babies! Don't give up! Meg

Rosie and I were writing at the same time, but we are sending the same message.

Wendy Heath thanked Royals fan-MO6a
  • irina_co
    7 years ago

I recommend another method...fill a black tray with solo cups with leaves, cover with a dome. Put under the light. Repeat the procedure next day. Continue until you have no place left in a house. Take a breath. Look at the first tray. OMG - it is bursting with babies and no place to put them. Get another light stand. 1 tray with leaves s is equal one shelf of starters. Fill the stand. REPEAT. At that point you begin to understand - they grow way too fast.

Wendy Heath thanked irina_co
  • Rosie1949
    7 years ago

Awwww,,,,Irina,,,,,don't burst her bubble! She will find this out on her own. Let her have the wonder, fun and anticipation of babies and the reality of running out of room!!!! lol Rosie

PS 6 months ago I put down every leaf that I found, bought, traded for, or otherwise obtained. They didn't take up much room. They were so cute! You warned me. Oh and how long would it take to make their babies??? Welllll,,,,,reality is setting in. I am looking at babies that now need to be separated. hmmm. Not putting down so many leaves now. Being more selective!

• Leon Ash
    7 years ago

Have you tried cursing ? I do it often and it seems to help.

But seriously, if the leaves are healthy they're growing, eventually....eventually....eventually you'll get plantlets.

Wendy Heath thanked Leon Ash
  • Rosie1949
    7 years ago

Curse???? Me???? oh my,,,,,my mother would wash my mouth out with soap. BUT she is no longer here sooooooooo,,,,,,occasionally a word or two will slip! Oh me oh my! But the reality is,,,,they don't grow any faster no matter what words I use, good or bad! lol Rosie

• irina_co
    7 years ago

Rosie - out of your babies...only keep 2-3 strongest of each variety, chuck the rest. Out of 2-3 - wait until they bloom, keep one. At that point - you can find another home for them. Do not keep too many duplicates for too long. Again - on a level of a first bloom - you will find some - that do nothing for you. Pass them on. At the end you will have good plants of the varieties you like. And everybody around you will benefit from your generosity to the point they will go in hiding at your approach.

I.

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

Sounds like good advice but toss growing babies??? Ewww, don't know if I can do that. Share I can do,,,but toss???? Oh my.

Irina, you must have missed my lament about having no one to "share" violets/plants/information with. Which is why I am so active on this group. There is NO one interested in my neck of the woods.

But that may change once I get this knee moving a little better as far as endurance. When we went to the Ann Arbor show they handed out a paper with the information for joining 2 AV groups. These groups are the ones that put on the sale. The one is not far from me at all. Well, in the next county,,,but certainly not so far that I can't make it. I am going to look into it. Just can't do it yet. But I am excited about the thought of doing it!!!! Rosie

• Leon Ash
    7 years ago

Hi Rosie...

I'm in the same boat you're in...no one in Grand Rapids that's into AV's. But that's why I'm in this forum and two others. And I've made some friends. When I offered you a couple of leaves of that Alchemy Bells it was because a very generous collector in another forum sent me a box with those and some others.
    So we can share using this medium. Leon

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

I love to share Leon. And I have shared back plants also. And thanks for offering me the Alchemy Bells! Hope we can make that work!

I can't believe in this entire county there are NO people that are interested in violets! I almost have to rely on this group exclusively to "share". Otherwise I would be over run with violet children! I would be one huge violet orphanage! Sorry,,just can't toss them! Rosie

• Leon Ash
    7 years ago

You can't believe in this entire county there are NO people that are interested in violets?

I even tried Craig's list. All I got was offers for stuff I didn't want.

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

I know, Leon. Well at least WE know where to find violet people!!!!! Rosie

• Julie He
    7 years ago

Rosie,

i live in Plymouth. I would love to get freebies.

I just got into AV about a month ago. But reading this forum makes me more and more interested. My problem is I have no patience. Over doing things is my specialty.

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

Julie do you mean Plymouth MICHIGAN??????!!!!!!! Rosie

• Julie He
    7 years ago

Rosie, yes.

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

I am in Monroe!!!!! I don't think we are that far that we couldn't meet!!!!! Rosie

• Julie He
    7 years ago

Yes, definitely.

We should go to the AV show together next year. I work in Ann Arbor, near the botanical garden. I can even walk there.

we can meet in Ann Arbor. Don't throw more babies away, hee hee.

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

Okey dokey! There are 2 other people that I go with also. We will have a nice little group!!!!!! YAY!!! AnneCecelia is on this group. She is one of them!!! Rosie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES