Software
Houzz Logo Print
chrisanna_sinclair

1950's Front Porch / Curb Appeal

10 years ago

Not sure what to do with the front of our house. The brick planter is cracking and can go. The azaleas seem to hide the house. The metal columns are dated. We have completely remodeled/updated the inside, dark hardwoods, craftsman windows, columns, etc. Would love the outside to reflect the inside, just not sure what to do. Not in the budget to change the roofline. Any suggestions? ?



Comments (18)

  • 10 years ago

    Would you leave the iron columns?

  • 10 years ago

    The first thing I would do is remove those bushes! They are not helping your house at all since they are hiding the features of your house. I would plant new greenery and flowers that grow well in your area. Perennials that are low maintenance are the best. Are you planning on repainting your house? If you are, I would choose a color that you really like, something that will make your house more noticeable. The colors on the house just kind of blend in with the landscape. Here are some paint ideas for your house:

    Cape Cod Remodel · More Info

    Traditional Quaint North Suburban Cottage · More Info

    Oberlin Bungalow · More Info

    Chris Sinclair thanked Bev
  • 10 years ago

    I agree with kellyvorbroker. Adding a standout color to your door would definitely help! Maybe a maroon or some kind of blue.

    Chris Sinclair thanked Kimberly Burt
  • 10 years ago

    A different door, one without an oval glass. Also, one that is not too ornate.

    Azaleas can be pruned. You should do so after they bloom. If you don't know how then watch a Youtube video. If I lived there I would remove the ones in front of the planter.

    It looks like you could have a nice shade garden by the drive, what is your hardiness zone?

    Do you know the name of the house paint?

    Chris Sinclair thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    The azaleas are beautiful...but only for 2 weeks out of the year...they have been trimmed down SUBSTANTIALLY since they have bloomed! We weren't sure if they should be removed or relocated.

  • 10 years ago

    I don't know the paint color. The house color would be much easier to change rather than the cream trim. The back of the house is mostly french doors and would be much more work.

  • 10 years ago
    chris, if you don't care for the azaleas in front, why not move them to a bed along your drive where emmarene suggested. azaleas are shallow rooted and easy to relocate...just don't plant too deep, keep watered, and mulch. maybe in a new location, they won't have to be pruned as much and can be allowed to grow in a natural form
    Chris Sinclair thanked liserb1357
  • 10 years ago
    Think about wrapping the metal posts with wood.
    Chris Sinclair thanked J Northwest
  • 10 years ago

    All great ideas. When I move the azaleas what would you do to update the porch?

  • 10 years ago

    i like the iron columns. i would do everything else first and then decide if change is necessary with the columns.

  • 10 years ago

    if it were mine, i would try to take it back to it's original look. remove the bushes in front of the planter. you say that the planter is cracked - how bad is it? i would repair it if possible, plant it and make it look beautiful. you can grow clematis on those iron columns. i don't think you need to spend a bunch of money, just some grunt work. i always do the cheapest stuff first and then decide more major things later.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    A new front door is first priority. I'd trim the azaleas under the picture window, too, and remove/relocate the ones on the other side of the house. Then, I would put in cedar supports to replace the iron columns and remove the brick planter (with these steps completed, you'll have an open porch on which you can put some seating and a container for plants by the front door). I love the font of the house numbers!

  • 10 years ago
    The "columns" are probably not holding anything up. There was a time, long ago, when they were common. Replace them with square columns which have some weight...at least 6x6". I know it is hard to rip out the azalea hedges, but as you say, they are only flowering for a short time and require yearly, if not more often, trimming. Those roots may be why the planter is cracking. Take your exterior color cue from the Craftsman style...a bit earthy. The roofline is fine.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I had a similar home years ago. Agree with many of the above suggestions. One thing I did, and loved, was to add a paver patio off the front on one side. You could remove the shrubs left of the door, and the planter, and create a small hardscape area that connects to the front walk on one side. I used a curved design to soften the lines of the house. Added benches and large planters. Agree, wrap the iron rails to create columns. Nice home!

    Chris Sinclair thanked janecalle
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Janecalle, we have a curved brick path from the driveway to the porch. I'm not sure what you mean? It sounds great, I'm just not sure where I would put it?

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Don't have a landscape design app but here's what I see. You have a small patio walk to the left of your front door. It is behind that row of shrubs. I see those shrubs gone and a patio extending out over the area where you currently have the potted plants and curving over to the walkway, perhaps staying just inside the small tree. You could move the shrubs to the perimeter of the new patio, or not (leave open to yard).