Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraandrzejewski

Remove Tree by Front Porch/Stoop?

7 years ago
Help solve a marital debate! Should we remove the tree to the right of the front porch/stoop or keep it?!
Keep the Tree!
Remove the Tree!

Comments (11)

• 7 years ago

What kind of tree is it? Do you have a basement foundation? Roots can cause problems with your foundation that close to the house.

If it is an ornamental tree that tends to stay small, it might be ok, but will need some maintenance to keep it trimmed. That does not look like an ornamental tree, more like a locust tree to me. In that case, it needs to come down.

• 7 years ago

We had tree roots that invaded our septic system at our last house and it was a nightmare! We could not get rid of the trees because we rented the house. Instead, we had to have RotoRooter come out and fix the problem about every 4 or 5 years. I was also thinking about any high winds or extreme weather bringing down that tree on your house.

• 7 years ago
    The tree is a Japanese maple!
  • 7 years ago

I had a Japanese maple moved when it was about that size. It was too close to the house. I am so glad I did; for the last 25 years it has been a real beauty in its new location.

If I were you, I'd pay to have a landscaper move it to the left of the front porch, about ten feet into the yard.

• 7 years ago
    I would keep it but have a good landscaper or arborist do a shaping and thinning. size needs to brought in on the crown and many of the lower branches removed.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

I agree with houssaon. I would keep the Japanese maple, but have a landscaper move it to the left of the front porch. It is such a beautiful and full tree that plays up your house's curb appeal.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Beautiful tree, keep it were it is, it gives a romantic look to the house.

• 7 years ago

Do you know if it is a dwarf Japanese maple? Those stay pretty small and you could leave it. If you do choose to remove it, I agree with those who suggested planting it elsewhere. It is a beautiful tree.

• 7 years ago

HI -- See if it can be pruned to keep the size small to fit the area . Or see if it can be moved . Ask a tree expert to see if it is going to be a future problem and then go by what they say to do . I think this house needs something at the front . This house is so cute .. like a story book house . I would paint the brown gable and the fence all to white like the house . Then have a bright color on the front door . This house needs the white picket fence look .

• PRO
    last year

If this tree is still there, I voted that should be removed because it is directly in front of the house's gate, detracting from the house's appearance.