Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_33036799

How to add backsplash to this?

10 years ago

We can't tear out the old backsplash from previous owner for fear of damaging the wall. But we want to add subway tile. How do we do this so that it will stick and look good?

Comments (16)

  • 10 years ago
    While you could tile directly over the existing tile, it won't look right. I would not worry about damaging the wall. Drywall (or cement board) is cheap, and it will give you a better/smoother surface to work with.
    User thanked Craig Mirabella
  • 10 years ago

    Sophie Wheeler, I would give it to you... I truly appreciate your comment, but don't like the tile. I don't think it was expensive, but I don't know a lot about tile. Any info you have on it would be great.


  • 10 years ago

    Thanks, Craig, I think we are going to attempt to take it out tonight... Attempt. :/ Will update.


  • 10 years ago
    My husband and I have only basic skills and tools. Our drywall was ruined when we removed the previous owners travertine floor tile from the backsplash. Replacing the drywall was really easy. Be careful at any edges where the tile covered drywall will meet with non tiled drywall. You dont want messy drywall patches there.
    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Sophie- If I do tear out the tile, what would you use? If not, subway tile? Anyone??


  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If you want subway use subway. It's cheap and fairly easy to work with if this is your first tile install. Definitely switch to white switches!
    User thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • 10 years ago

    It would be easier to suggest alternative to subway if we could see more of your countertop & cabinets. White subway is the fail-safe default choice. I wanted beveled Cema marfil subway tile in our K, but was out-voted by wife & CKD. The only subway tile I'd use is beveled. Plain, flat subway tile looks too boring to me.

    User thanked Bruce Crawford
  • 10 years ago

    That is likely several hundred dollars a square foot tile, and it is in Today's popular colors. It has personality, and isn't visually overwhelming at the same time. That's tough to achieve. It's sad that you can't grow to appreciate it.

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    BTW, drywall is as easy to repair as others suggested above. The original owners of our house had mounted a floating shelf system in the LR such that the only way to remove it was to destroy a section of drywall. Having no experience & few tools, I was able to repair so that the patch isn't visible. Just make sure you get same thickness as the original.

    User thanked Bruce Crawford
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    2nd post. Other not here. I wrote $100/s.f. (Just reread. Sophie says several 100)! Whew! If so, I'd keep it & start looking for new electrical components so as not to detract from bksplsh.

  • 10 years ago

    Can you back up and show a picture of the whole area you're questioning.....

    User thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    Even the leaves are in fashion right now.

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    More pics please! Maybe Houzzers could give suggestions for the room that would make the tile work for you. It is beautiful and unique (and apparently quite expensive!). It would be a shame to destroy it, but if you truly dislike it, then it has no value to you regardless of the cost.
    User thanked chrispeggyleavitt
  • 10 years ago
    I am also curious to see more pics. Replacing beige electric with white is easy, but that red looking brown wood doesn't seem like a natural match with the tile (which I agree is fun and funky without being impossible, but also looks kind of poorly grouted?). I have lurked on plenty of threads where beautiful tile was badly installed or the wrong choice for the other durable surfaces in the room, and my impression is that pro comments tend toward remove/redo. It isn't your fault if a previous owner badly used pretty tile.

    Posting pics that show cabs floors and counters will help.
    User thanked kcmnc
  • 10 years ago

    Is backsplash damaged under wallplate. That area looks very different from all the rest. If damaged, that could seriously impact the "keep" option.

    User thanked Bruce Crawford