Software
Houzz Logo Print
rinam77

Help with kitchen design

13 years ago
Our kitchen is a tiny kitchen about 14by 10. at the moment we are working on a design that could work . I really want to make it look a bit bigger so we opened up the wall that was separating the kitchen from dinin/living room as much as we could ,also I thought of open shelving or glass doors to give it an illusion of a bigger kitchen. There is also the issue of a build in microwave of range hood? Attached are phoros of two different designs. What should we do?

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The cabinet on the left (last frame) is a good idea but I would make it 18" deep, if you can move the doorway over. Since it is floor to ceiling you will be gaining an extra 5"-6" the whole length and height.

    The stove, dishwasher and sink are very cramped. I would dispense with the dishwasher and use a single bowl 24" sink and replace the dishwasher with cabinetry. If you want a two-bowl sink, I would suggest a corner sink. Remove the corner glass door cabinet above and the one perpendicular to it and make that corner the open shelving with a light underneath for task lighting over the sink. Make sure you make those cabinets large enough so that you don't feel closed in while working at the sink. Put solid doors on the area that is currently open. You might also think about a smaller refrigerator and a 24" stove. Depending on your measurements, you might then be able to fit in a dishwasher if that is a priority.

    Open shelving is a good idea to open things up. Just remember though, you will be washing the contents and the shelving more often. It's often used to store things that are used more often.
    Glass cabinets are so nice but too many of them will show off things you don't want to show off. They limit what you will be able to store in them. They often look good with glass shelves and interior lighting.

    Make sure you can vent the stove outside.
  • 13 years ago
    So u think the microwave is a better choice?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like the first photo with the microwave with cabinets above. You can purchase one with a stove vent. The photo with the vent doesnt look as clean and crisp as the mircorwave.
    I don't find the last photo with the floor to ceiling cabinet appealing. It looks somewhat awkward just floating there by itself.
    Yes, the kitchen is small, but I couldn't do without a dishwasher. Perhaps purchase the type that can accomodate a panel that matches your cabinets. That might be a solution. I like the idea of using a smaller frig. I'd also get one that was counter depth. That would make the area appear larger.
  • 13 years ago
    That wall is a pantry that would be on the other side of the kitchen. The two openings are an entrance to the kitchen. Just added it to kind of give an idea of the whole kitchen. Right next to the fridge on the left would be garden doors to the backyard.
  • 13 years ago
    oops....sorry....I thought those were two different ideas for that corner
  • 13 years ago
    That's ok :)