Software
Houzz Logo Print
ewboynton

Kitchen questions

10 years ago
We are trying to add light and open up our kitchen by removing half of the wall between kitchen and dining room (above peninsula where TV is currently). TV will move to top of new refrigerator (old sub zero died and we had to rethink that space; not finished yet) In addition, we are contemplating some other options: to paint or not to paint the quality wood cabinets and replacing travertine countertop, backsplash, sink and stove top. We are leaning toward Quartz for countertop, staying on the light side of color. I would like to have a painted backsplash and use the yellow wall color but am not confident about that at all. Would love any ideas.

Comments (23)

  • 10 years ago

    You indicate that your cabinets are quality and they appear to be in good condition.

    Instead of painting the cabinets, you may wish to consider changing the cabinet hardware to something more contemporary for a quick (and cheap) update.

    ewboynton thanked Architectural Notice
  • 10 years ago
    Cabinets are lovely before painting could you as suggested update the hardware and remove some of the details such as the scalloped trim pieces, cat drawers fronts? In addition a nice update would remove the black microwave over the stove add a hood. For wall color your yellow is a pretty yellow, however, a different color would work better with the cabinet wood and floor
    ewboynton thanked Diane
  • 10 years ago
    Have you considered staining your cabinets for a more coherent colour scheme that's not all white or painted? I like the grain and knots in your wood but I'm not a big fan of the colour. That's why I would stain it.
    ewboynton thanked Steven
  • 10 years ago
    Would like to know what wall colors might be better. There is not much of it: above cabinets, behind large painting. Remember half wall near peninsula is being removed, so it will only be around the moulding on that wall.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Something like Ben Moore Wythe Blue goes nicely w your cabinets and flooring. Avoid green and yellow....best wishes!
    ewboynton thanked Chris Zec Photography
  • 10 years ago
    Agree with painting cabinets, Quartz countertop and removing wall on opposite of the peninsula. Not sure what the view is or if this wall is structural, but looks like it may open things up. Removing the shelving and arch over the sink may also help open up the space. Other ideas are to remove unneeded items from countertop (store in pantry until needed) and maybe nix TV over the fridge to minimize visual clutter. Also consider getting a stainless microwave to match other appliances. Change the cabinet over the range to get the microwave a bit higher?
    ewboynton thanked dcurlsbennett
  • 10 years ago

    Good idea about microwave color. The dining room is on the other side of the non-load bearing wall we are removing part of. On the other side of the dining room are French doors to the deck. That is the natural light we are seeking. Thanks for the other suggestions as well.

  • 10 years ago

    I would not paint the cabinets unless the finish is worn. Many have painted their wood cabinets and are very happy with the results. We also recommend getting cabinets painted professionally unless you are an accomplished and patient DIY person. A professional paint job can be expensive.

    Whether done DIY or by a professional, a painted finish is never as durable as a factory finish. Also, wood moves with changes in temp and humidity so be prepared for touch ups. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you do paint, all the wood will be gone from the kitchen since you have a tile floor. I also do not see anything dated about your cabinets - you have some nice touches that break up the wood (glass panel door, shelves) that give your kitchen a custom look - it is not boring.

    I agree about considering a different place for the microwave and getting a hood. Range vent hoods vent better than the micro/vent combo and are just prettier.

    Changing countertops is the time to change your sink. If it is your style, a farmhouse sink would look very pretty. The Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style farmhouse sink can be installed on a standard sink base, so is popular in remodels.

    I have wood cabinets and just got new counters and Whitehaven sink myself. I love how this has refreshed my kitchen. (More pics in my "my pics" idea book.)

    Now quartz counters:

    My pics -work in progress: · More Info

    sink:


    My pics -work in progress: · More Info

    ewboynton thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago
    The cabinets are nice, I guess you have to figure what your budget is. If you are not going to gut entire kitchen, remove everything under cabinets and install new backsplash and countertop. You might look at getting a larger sink. New stainless front microwave with a thin front. They do vary in size. Yes new hardware. New paint, not yellow.
    It looks like the island doesn't match rest of kitchen you could paint it. Is it going to be moved? Won't tv over fridge be to high?
    ewboynton thanked Jan
  • 10 years ago
    I would remove existing backsplash.

    Add new counters, under mount sink, new faucet and undercabinet lighting.

    Fresh paint on walls.
    ewboynton thanked Judy M
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with Judy M. You have nice cabinets that appear to be in good shape, so why not refresh counters, backsplash, sink and paint. Decluttering does wonders. (This advice comes from a clutterer. It's often hard to see our own clutter, but you seem to have decent storage.) Good luck! You are fortunate to have a kitchen that is very nice just like it is.
    ewboynton thanked sandi125
  • 10 years ago
    Before you decide to remove all or part of any wall, find out if it is a load-bearing wall or not. I agree that your cabinets look good and you may only need to add new handles and pulls to give them a new look.
    ewboynton thanked felizlady
  • 10 years ago

    The wall is not load bearing. Wondering what kind of handles update the look. I replaced the wooden knobs that were on when we moved in.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think you are in desperate need of undercabinet lighting. They will make all work areas more usable and improve the brightness. They are available in all budgets and should be dimmable for times when you just want a glass of water. A light quartz countertop with a tile or light colored backsplash would help, too. The yellow paint color could be changed to a neutral that would better complement the cabinet color. Don't paint the cabinets unless you really want light painted cabinets - they are more maintenance and the finish won't stand up to kitchen activities as well as a factory paint finish. Consider a white undermount granite sink to complement the quartz. It looks like there are shelves under the wall cabinets. You might be able to remove them to help update the look and reduce the visual clutter. Good luck with your project!

  • 10 years ago
    I have had my cabinets professionally painted in my last 2 houses and I have loved them white. They look so fresh and modern and really brighten up my kitchen(s). In our open floor plan the white looks so much better with the furniture in the contiguous rooms. You might even like your counters better!
    Leslie
  • 10 years ago

    I like your knobs:) I think they go with your style. I put in some inexpensive DIY LED undercabinet lighting and it has been wonderful. Recently an electrician wired it into a switch for me so it looks great - no more cord hanging down to the plug. I also like the white island / peninsula. I have a lot of white mixed with wood in my own home. I like the brightness of the white mixed with the warmth of wood.

    ewboynton thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think your cabinets are beautiful. I wouldn't paint them all. If anything maybe paint the tops or remove them and put up shelves. I would have to see drawings or more pictures to understand the reason for opening up your kitchen to your LR. Sounds good in theory, but it might not make much sense with all things considered.

    I painted my cabinets with BM Advance and had a great outcome, but I didn't have the beautiful cabinets you have.

  • 10 years ago

    We do have under cabinet lighting, sorry I did not turn them on for photos. We live in a townhouse community and I have been in neighboring houses that have opened the space between the kitchen and dining room and we are very pleased with how it looks and how much light it brings in. I have had our contractor go to two houses to see the designs. Here is the one closest to what we plan. Our peninsula will remain, no pillar needed, The height will depend on pipe work that will go on above as we put a washer and dryer on the second floor and as we have to move pipes that run through the the wall we are removing. This is where we are spending our

    Talk about removing clutter: the wall with the TV, calendar, telephone, clock, etc. will be gone. I had never thought of removing the ledge from under cabinets and the scroll trim and plan to look into that.

    I am glad to read support of leaving the cabinets (with new hardware) as much as I would like light ones, these are quite nice. Any thoughts on painting the inside of the glass front cabinets and shelf above sink? There is wide bead board painted a maroon that matches accent tile on backsplash.

  • 10 years ago

    I don't have any advice but are those knotty alder wood cabinets?

  • 10 years ago

    I think they are knotty alder.

  • 10 years ago

    ewboynton, thank you

  • 10 years ago

    As to painting inside cabinets and / or shelf:

    I thought I would paint my wood hood white but wasn't sure, so did a sort of mock up with white poster board and paper to help me visualize it and decided against it. There is a fiberboard "beadboard" at the home center stores - I think one style comes in white "beadboard" and it cuts with a utility knife. You could cut it to fit and see what the shelf would look like white - even use command strips to keep it up as a non permanent change - or just use poster board to see the effect of white.

    Personally, I like it the way the shelf is and would make your other changes first. I have a plate rail on my shelf (see my idea book), but yours might be too tall. A display of vintage china or teapots might be pretty. The trim work on the cabinet is different than the one some here think is dated. I have seen home bloggers who do their own design add trim pieces like yours. I like to look at cottages, especially European cottages, Pinterest and various blogs to see some different ideas on design. Houzz has very glamorous and well done designs, but there is a tendency to conformity which starts to make every kitchen look alike and attempt to be a magazine layout:)

    If you want to change up the glass cabinets a bit you can experiment with some of the window films that can be placed on the glass to give a less see through look or the look of a different glass. Another possibility is to sheer fabric behind the glass. This can be a more "country / farmhouse" look depending on the fabric chosen.

    I would do your big changes first, but changing out what you display on the shelf or how you treat the glass cabinets are fun ways to change things up just for the fun of it:)



    ewboynton thanked jhmarie