0

overwintering calla lilies and alstroemaria

Joan Dupuis
October 12, 2016

Calla lilies - I've grown these calla lilies in pots for years, but this year they didn't flower. Lots of leaves but only 1 or 2 flowers. Do they just need repotted with new soil, or do they die out?

Alstroemaria - I grew these in a pot from seed. Can I bring in the pot and put in the basement in a cold room to go dormant, or bring in to grow on in the house for the winter?

Any advise is appreciated.

Joan

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)

Calla Lily - You obviously don't have a problem getting them through the winter. You could repot them with fresh soil. What sort of light and fertilizer are you providing them?

Alstroemaria would prefer to go into a cold room for winter versus a warm house. They are not an arid region plant either so don't let the roots get really dry (as you would for many summer bulbs in storage).

• Joan Dupuis

Thanks. I guess I'll just put them in the cold room in the basement and repot the callas in the Spring, and hope the alstroemaria like the cold room too.