Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feedmeicecream

Tile backsplash above 6" quartz backsplash?

Y Wong
7 years ago
Hi,

I know tile backsplash is supposed to go down to the countertop. But when we were picking what upgrades we wanted with our new home construction in a KB homes neighborhood, we decided to do without the tile backsplash because it seemed pretty expensive and I was frankly in sticker shock. There were other upgrades that were of higher priority. I kind of wish we did go ahead with it though now that we've moved in. So I've been exploring the possibility of finding a tile that could work well above the 6 in Quartz backsplash we currently have.

So... Opinions on the the two below? Little tiles are just too busy for my tastes and it is a pretty wide kitchen. The first is a marble tile. The second is a glass tile. Just stuff I picked up from Home Depot. I'm sure there are many other options out there. The last picture is to show the span of the space. Try to ignore the mess!

Is adding tile just too weird? Better to leave it plain?? Just feels drab but I was thinking of maybe putting up some linear shallow sleek wall planters with succulents on some parts of the drywall to liven it up a little.

Comments (25)

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

Have the quartz "backsplash" removed. You can always use it on a windowsill.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    7 years ago

Please remove the short backsplash and add a full height backsplash in the same material as the countertop. You won't be sorry.

• Y Wong
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I can't bring myself to remove it, because I did pay for it after all. It's a lot of backsplash. And I've heard that sometimes it can crack during removal with more dry wall repair needed. I think I'll just keep it as is if adding tile just makes it look worse.
  • PRO
    Stefanie Zanow- Kitchens Plus
    7 years ago

The color glass tile would look best. I did something similar in a home and it looks great. Take a look at my houzz page under Stewart.

• Y Wong
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Stefanie, I don't see any "Stewart" on your page.
  • jck910
    7 years ago

Try painting a color you like. Both tiles you chose are blah and will do nothing for your kitchen

• Y Wong
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I can live with this. Maybe one day after family life has trashed this kitchen and our kids are more grown, I can think about redoing the backsplash. By then in sure there will be yet another trend. For now, I'll stick with being fiscally responsible and just be thankful for this spacious kitchen and sweet home.
  • Y Wong
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yeah, I'll consider paint. The standard white used for this home looks good everywhere else but isn't right against the Quartz in particular. Thanks all for your input!
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

I actually like the current sleek look of your kitchen. I think additional backsplash would distract from that.

You could paint, but it does not seem necessary to me. You have a nice kitchen.

• Y Wong
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you emmarene. I do like it too. (Especially when it's not such a mess)
    I think it is just feeling dull because there isn't really any decor yet and everybody else's tiled kitchens look so nice. What I really should do is probably get off Houzz and stop envying other kitchens. :)
    I think you are right -- keep it simple. At the least I need to find a better shade of white that would blend with the Quartz a little better. The current one has a smidge too much yellow undertone I think?
  • km kane
    7 years ago
    If you don't want to remove the 6" piece, then just paint. Tiles on top of 6" pieces look silly
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

Painting it the color of that little blue tile might look nice :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Countertop fabricators may not bother to scribe the top to the wall accurately if they know a 2 or 3cm backsplash is going to cover any gaps. Be prepared to float some mud if they haven't, especially with thinner tile. I'd keep the full height splash at the stove, but some folks don't mind scrubbing red sauce out of grout lines.

• PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    7 years ago

2 options: just leave as it is.. or remove the existing backsplash and tile everything.

Adding tile above the existing 6'' will look weird.

• Sally Burke
    7 years ago

I don't know if you did anything yet but I would just add a small tile like you've shown to add a little interest. It will look fine.

• User
    4 years ago

I like the small tile you have chosen. Keep the splash if you like it. What did you decide to do?

• crpresto9
    4 years ago

Hi - we have the very same situation in our new build home: dark brown cabinetry with white quartz countertops and a 6” slab “backsplash“. Unfortunately we moved units in our neighborhood and so did not get to choose the finishes. I’m curious if you ended up doing anything leaving the 6” slab, or removed it entirely? Thanks!

• sd1962
    3 years ago

My two cents; I don't think tilling above "short" quartz or genuine stone backsplash looks bad at all. It is a striking contrast, and more attractive than plain wall. And what ppl say is just their opinion, not the definitive standard.

• Sally Burke
    3 years ago

I agree with sd1962. The stone/marble tile adds texture and interest without adding too much color or crazy pattern.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

If the added backsplash material matches the quartz color exactly, it will look fine no matter what shape you choose.

• HU-989860013
    2 years ago

Im curious what you decided to go. We are purchasing quartzite and are planning to do the 6” backsplash with it.

• Sherry A
    last month

I see you have white quartz behind your gas stove - I’m just wondering if you’ve ever had any discoloration from the stove? I’m trying to decide if I can do quartz behind my gas stove or if I should put tile?

• Beth G
    27 days ago

I echo Sherry’s inquiry. Any input, experience…
    Thanks!

• Tara
    27 days ago

I know this is old....but -- I would try a large tile in a textured finish that matched the wall color and the splash behind the stove. It would give interest but not color. Kind of like when you put different textured decor items in a living room that is mainly all one color.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH