Software
Houzz Logo Print
pb3gwilliams

Flooring dilemma ...

13 years ago
We are remodeling our family room and our plans were to extend the laminate wood flooring in the kitchen thru to the family room...see photo on the left. But of course we ran into a problem the company went bankrupt so they no longer carry the flooring. My goal was to have the floor flow...I'm not a fan of different flooring throughout. The photo on the right is our dark vinyl flooring in our three season sunroom which is attached with a large sliding door and step down to the family room. I have already bought a 10x13 rug to go in my family room. So what I'm looking for are some ideas as to what to do. Carpet? Laminate color? Also, my furniture is dark...i dont want my furniture to get lost in the floor. I'm so confused?

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There's a company called N-Hance that might be able to help by matching all the new and old flooring even if they are different colours ! Google them and ask !! I'm sure they'd be delighted to help !
  • 13 years ago
    Thank OnePlan. I did check them out but we have laminate wood flooring not real wood. :( Thank u so much for responding. I'm just not sure if it will look strange if we had another laminate floor that didn't match in the family room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Could you claim on your house insurance as this is midway through your renovation and it's not your fault ?!?!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    OnePlan: Someone mentioned this to me yesterday. I called my insurance agent, and started the claim procedure. The claims department wants a mold inspector to come out to make sure there are no mold issues with my floor and wood cabinet. I sure hope there isn't a mold problem, as the claims person said my insurance would not cover mold issues (that's something I'll have to make sure is added to my policy in the future). I'll post when I get more info.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not sure I would file an insurance claim for this. Wouldn't this make your rates go up and make you likely to be dropped. I wouldn't risk it. I
  • 13 years ago
    I haven't filed a claim in over 20 years, and I've had the same insurance agency for over 30 years. I rather doubt they would raise my rates or drop me. I carry my car insurance, property insurance and jewelry/collectibles insurance with the same company.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I hope it all works out for you !! be good to hear a happy ending to this !!!
  • 13 years ago
    pbgwilliams: You mentioned the company went bankrupt, and you were unable to get more of the flooring. Do you mean the company that sold you the flooring, or the company that manufactured the flooring? The company that manufactured my flooring was Witex, and they are no longer in business (they also manufactured laminate flooring). If you don't know the company that manufactured your flooring, can you check your invoice to see if it shows the manufacturer's name? If you find that information, you can go to that company's website and find dealers in your area. Then you can go to one of those dealers and see if you can match your flooring. Good luck to you!
  • 13 years ago
    Crmuffin...yes it was Witex. So there is nothing we can do. :(
    Is it strange to have a different wood flooring maybe even going the opposite way of the kitchen flooring? Not sure what to do my husband does not want to tear up the kitchen floor he just installed it in 07. Awhhhhh....that was me screaming, why can't projects ever go smoothly?
  • 13 years ago
    I would be inclined to find a tile of the same coloring as the existing wood flooring to create that continuous flow you're after. It sounds like you have exhausted the wood source concept and should move on. There are so many amazing ceramic, stone tiles or porcelain tiles in the same color ways as the existing wood flooring. Then allow the new area rug to make your statement....
  • 13 years ago
    pbgwilliams: I did a lot of checking on Witex. I even filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Georgia (where the plant was/is located). Did you go to the WitexUSA.com website to see if you could contact anyone? I did that when I was doing all the checking, and no one replied to my emails or answered my phone messages. I contacted the Chamber of Commerce in Georgia also, and they gave me a number to call to see if Witex USA had a valid business license for 2013. Their last business license was for 2012, and they did not renew their business license for 2013.

    I still think you'd be better getting a Luxury Vinyl tile, instead of trying to match the vinyl wood flooring; but you can take a sample of your flooring to a flooring store and see if you can find something that matches. Call around to some flooring stores to see if they have any extra stock of your Witex vinyl wood flooring. I didn't have any luck with my wood flooring, but you might have better luck.
  • 13 years ago
    There was another, similar dilemma to this posted a while ago. Carolyn had an interesting idea. In the adjoining room, create a 'frame' around the perimeter with the new flooring. That way if the two floors don't match it will still look good.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would use whichever you like best.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    pbgwilliams: The suggestion about a border (perhaps a bit darker than the flooring) sounds like a good solution. Then maybe you can find a close match to your laminate wood flooring, and it won't make any difference if the new flooring doesn't match exactly.
  • 13 years ago
    The border idea is a good one I'll have to find some examples on here. Yes, I've contacted them or at least tried...no response. I have heard that a German company called kronetex bought them, but can't find any info out about that. Any one hear of Kronetex before? How about Sensa or Mohawk flooring any advice would be greatly appreciated. I only have experience with Witex...we loved it!
  • 13 years ago
    Get bright flooring carpets rugs anything.
  • 13 years ago
    If I were you, I'd go to the Kronetexusa.com website and contact them about your laminate flooring. Perhaps they have flooring that will match what you have in your kitchen. Maybe they can put you in touch with a flooring store in your area that sells their flooring (if it's the same as Witex flooring). Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank u all for your help and advice. I've got more topics coming for advice. I really love this site!
  • 13 years ago
    pbgwilliams, will you share what you decided?