Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_guthrie67

How to revive my hibiscus

Sarah Guthrie
7 years ago

I'm really new to plants... I got two hibiscus this year. I didn't bring them in early enough I think... because now they look like this. I think they are still alive because they stems are still pliable. What should I do now?

Comments (30)

• merkity
    7 years ago

don't over water, keep just damp until you see growth - thats pretty far gone for a tropical hibiscus....

Sarah Guthrie thanked merkity
  • User
    7 years ago

how are they now?

Sarah Guthrie thanked User
  • Sarah Guthrie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's so nice of you to ask! Here they are. I don't get it. I moved the unhappy one to the happy one's spot about a month ago. I thought maybe more sun? Still unhappy :( Any ideas?

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

Here, they'll maintain but dont' really get going until it's 80+ at night...if you can make it to your summer, they may really take off then

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The dead looking one should have some growth by now:( They do grow very slow in the winter picking up around April. If you want to prune now is the time. Thanks for the pics!

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

My idea would be that it's dead. You're lucky the other one survived. I remember a couple years ago the cold barely nipped my double peach hibiscus and it died mysteriously.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

I had a tropical drop all its leaves in jan. I just kept watering as usual and in late feb early march it started putting out new growth! Keep it in full sun!!

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

Sarah did your hibiscus come back??

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

It's most likely dead.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

Ive got 5 sprouts from seeds i planted on the 3rd of feb. Supposed to be hardy hibiscus. Seeds came from hong kong. I cant remember what kind i ordered. It will be a surprise!

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

It will most likely be the regular white with a red center, since the seeds are not a genetic equal to any named cultivar. Of course, you could still get other flower colors, but white is the most common.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

Oh. I thought one was like tye dye. But i cant rember. I got 10 of each kind. So far only 5 have sprouted. Im in growing from seed thread.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

Another home grower in my area grows them, I bought one from her this summer. She grows them from seed and they are always white.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

I checked on my two i left out for the winter today. I had piled leaves on top of them. I took off the leaves so they could get more sun. One stem was turning green already. Its supposed to get cold again in a week or so. Below freezing again. Think l'll bring them in so they dont freeze off again.

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

Yeah. It's been in the 60's here. I usually don't see them or ROS here until mid-late april or early may. What's your USDA zone?

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

Im z4. Its warm here too. Above freezing at night.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

Do you cut down your ros for the winter?

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

Wow. Big difference in zone! I can see why you want hibiscus flowers. I do not cut down my ROS for the winter, that is a very bad idea unless you are trying to rejuvenate an old shrub.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

No. I didn't cut mine down. I piled lots of leaves around it. It gets full sun. But it grew late last year. Late May here.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

Im going to see if i can get a cindy's heart from hvh. Its a tropical. But i just have to have one!

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

That is a nice one! I'll put that on my list.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

What do you think of root pruning a hibiscus??

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

Depends on the situation. If you have rotten, brown, mushy roots, then they need to be pruned. If there aren't any problems, no need to root prune. I usually just loosen the rootball when repotting.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

I lost my dwarf last year. It had mushy roots from sitting out in a down pour. So i cut off the mushy roots. But it died anyways.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

I noticed some of the roots are kind of looping up out of the dirt. Should i cover them up with dirt or just leave them? I dont know why they do that?

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

That one was probably just too far gone, not necessarily your fault. I would add some dirt over those roots. Usually that is a sign that they are root-bound.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

Oh. Ok. Thanks.☺

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

You are welcome.

• HU-140603054
    5 years ago

Here is a pic of mine, year! Park turned off the water for time. Not sure how long. Then here is a pic of it

year! Can it be saved?

Sponsored