Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_3125844

window treatment

I am painting the trim an off white. I need suggestions on window treatment. the bay windows are lower than other 2 windows in living room. I am using white wooden blinds and would like to put light weight drapes up. the difference in height concerns me.

Comments (9)

  • 9 years ago

    I suggest that rather than try to minimise the difference, you accentuate it by placing the curtain rods as marked in white below. In both cases let the curtains hang to within an inch or so of the floor.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you hang the curtain rods for the bay as Rina suggested, have the curtain rod over the other window match. This will give you a sense of visible balance; the rod heights certainly don't need to be the same height off the window. The other option would be to only have blinds; not both.

  • 9 years ago
    I would hang all the drapes from the same place. Hang the drapes for the bay window on the wall above them.
  • 9 years ago

    Oh, dear, Linda, you have had all three options recommended. Houzz is like that sometimes.


  • 9 years ago

    Here's an impression of what it might look like with different curtain heights, so you can see whether you like it or hate it.

  • 9 years ago
    I'd leave the bay with just blinds and do the full height drapes on the other window. Seems like too many drapes no matter where you hang them.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you haven't already thought of this, you could build a window seat into the bay and have your lightweight curtains hanging either side (on the outside of the bay) to soften the look. You would then only need to close the blinds at night. You could then hang the same curtains in other windows in the room.

    Definitely you would want to use matching rods and hang them at the same height. As to the length of the curtains, let them brush onto the floor not a few inches above as someone suggested. If you do this, no offence, however it can look like someone is wearing their trousers too short :(

    Personally, and this is only my opinion, I would use soft roman blinds in the bay window, no curtains at all for the bay window. You could then use curtains in the other windows in the room from the same fabric as the Roman blind. Not being able to see all the windows in the room though it is hard to make other suggestions. However, if you are definitely wanting to hang curtains for the bay I would hang them outside as Emily Jowers suggested. Make sure the rails are the same height on all the windows and the curtains all brush the floor as in the second to last image (bathroom).

    I have curtains and Romans in the same room in my cottage living area (see last image). It is not a bay window but they work fine together as they are the same fabric.

    Hope I have not confused you with these options, most will work with the wooden blinds if you decide to have those.

    Wimbledon Living Room · More Info

    Parkside House · More Info

    Chancery Place House · More Info

    Built in 1894, this historic Stick Style house in Cambridge, Mass., was original · More Info

    Bay Tree Cottage · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    er612 had it right..the drapes and window same height with the bay window drapes hung on outside wall.