Software
Houzz Logo Print
karisa_rumm

Need some help with curb appeal!!! HELP

13 years ago
We are putting new siding,windows and doors in our house next month and I have no idea how to make my house have curb appeal!!! We will be using vinal siding and possibly that fake stone like stuff as well. I do like the darker colours and dark trim but I'm unsure how to put it all together to make it work!? Any suggestions would be awesome!

Comments (21)

  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Debi! We will be changing the trim as well... Total overhaul.
  • 13 years ago
    We considered the stacked stone veneer for accent on the front of our house as well, but ended up going with the faux cedar shake instead. It looks real, has the texture of real shake, but is pretty much maintenance free. The main part of our house is taupe, so we opted for just a slightly darker shade for the shake giving it a tone-on-tone look. This would add interest through texture and depth with the slightly darker shade, without having the jarring feeling of all the angles that are going on now (vertical details, horizontal siding). I think it could look very nice on the upper part of the facade and the inset where the porch is, while keeping the whole front of the house and window surround in the horizontal siding (no more vertical trim anywhere). They also have a nice selection of decorative vinyl vent covers in different sizes and shapes to replace the rectangular metal one you have now. I think a light colored trim would really brighten up the whole look of the house.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks panjatty I really appreciate the comments!
  • 13 years ago
    Also... :) ... I would paint the porch the same light color as the trim (white/off-white?) and maybe add a little picket handrail. I'd also add some plants with height to mask the transition area between the siding and the ground. Or consider either removing the planter boxes or building them up a bit higher so they have some 'oomph'. All of my suggestions are assuming you want to stay with a cottage feel. If not, then let us know which direction you were thinking of going.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh and my shingles are a light brown color.
  • 13 years ago
    Yep, I was thinking shingle like boards too - they make them staggered which have a bit more charm. You could put them only on the gable and the entry door wall, with horizontal siding everywhere else like panjatty suggested. The eaves and porch ceiling and foundation elements are dark, dark brown and shiny, while the porch deck is a dark green. They look so new that I'm concerned that these are fixed colors.

    If so, I'm going to suggest you paint your house a tone nearer the green of the deck, trim the windows in a soft blue-green and paint the door that tone in a stronger hue. Test a body shade like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0042-ruskin-room-green/ on the exterior, with trim around the windows and front door in this http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6485-raindrop/ this will bridge the eye to the white of the window sashes - Go down two hues and that is your door color - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6487-cloudburst/
  • 13 years ago
    The eve and trim that is dark brown will be changed it is not new. Also the porch is just pressure treated wood not painted(green)
  • 13 years ago
    Are you putting in new windows too? I am attaching an entry which is vinyl shingles that I worked on as a make over. I am VERY impressed with this look and it has held up very well. This could be done for your entry. The stone you see is man made cement stone, and was only used for the entry. The rest of the home is lap style vinyl siding. Love the choice of the green front door. The owner has had many people stop by to comment! http://www.certainteed.com/
  • 13 years ago
    Yum, then you can get light trim at eaves and porch ceiling too. You might want a prettier cottage body color. If you can do anything, I'd keep the pretty aqua trim and door, but do the body in a pale taupe - on the house exterior this will look like a really pretty dark ecru white http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7043-worldly-gray/ Use this for any railing and go down two hues to http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7045-intellectual-gray/ for the porch floor and stairs.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes new windows as well. I like the idea of the shingles too never really considered before now.thanks Kathleen
  • 13 years ago
    How exciting! The front of your home is very flat. I'm not sure exactly how, but what about building up the entry somehow? Extended portico? A covered patio?
  • 13 years ago
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/buechelstone/5752433542/in/photostream So this is my inspiration....we are gunna do the stone darker with browns in it because our shingles are a tan color. We would put the stone below the front window and in the porch area.What do you guys think? Would this idea work with my style of house?
  • 13 years ago
    Anybody?
  • 13 years ago
    ?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like the stone base and the eave returns. Always a classic look, especially when it suits the owner. Shingled gable ends with a flat trim/chamfered drip above the lap siding is an alternative, too. Here are a couple of ideas I posted to an earlier discussion--Just the siding ideas, the window ideas are likely more than you want to tackle (?). You can substitute shingles in the gable end, or just siding per the pic you like. Also, a modern option for you to consider Defining the entry with an additonal fascia board is a nice option. Happy Houzzing.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Here is something to thing about.
  • 12 years ago
    I am a Master Gardener formerly from Texas, but residing in the Northeast now. I would get rid of those planters you have unless you have a reason to keep them. Put in raised beds for drainage issues. You can probably use whatever soil you have in the planters to do that. Add some top dressing (mulch) and some perennials with a mixture of small shrubs. Make sure the shrubs fits the space. Look for dwarf shrubs and keep them at a proper spacing distance to allow for growth. I'd also paint the house one color and just the trim another color to make it more uniform. If it's within your budget, concrete the steps leading to the house entrance and add a railing.
  • 12 years ago
    I take it the siding is all going to go in the same direction...? What you have here is a personality problem for the house. It could use some trim across the front to offset the triangle from the rectangle. A porch would be so pretty. Adding an eve would add character. Every porch does well to be covered. Good luck! Looks like there are some great ideas coming!
  • 3 years ago

    I would suggest a long piece of trim be installed horizontally across the bottom edge of the front gable to separate it visually from the horizontal white siding on the body of the house.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    @ Sheila Beers Did you notice that there all old posts you went through?