Software
Houzz Logo Print
life4real

Hanging painting on sloped wall

9 years ago
I have a painting that is 62 inches square. My wall goes from 8 to 12 feet.
To confuse me even more, it will go on a wall that goes into a hallway. This makes me question even the width placement. Before I just eyeball it, I would like your advice. Please see photos.

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago

    great idea, to bad about the grate, probably not a good idea to cover it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would find another wall. Love the painting.

    Another suggestion:

    Glamour Square Gold-White 17.5" Throw Pillow · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    I don't have another wall that big. I wanted a large painting rather than several on that wall. I'm really asking for help on positioning it. Thanks
  • 9 years ago

    Here's where you should hang it. Aesthetically speaking. This presumes that proper functioning of your HVAC system doesn't matter to you -- people are suggesting that it should, and thus that this won't work, but in the end the choice is yours.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you! I really appreciate it!
  • 9 years ago

    I would hang it just a little higher and a little more to the right than in acm's image. Get somebody to hold it for you while you look at it from across the room.

  • 9 years ago

    Also, that is a beautiful painting. I love the gold in it.

  • 9 years ago
    I think the photo creates an optical illusion or something.
  • 9 years ago
    Lining to top up with the top of the entry area and moving almost to the edge of that area should work.
  • 9 years ago
    The bottom of that air vent is at almost 7 feet. The top of my media shelves to the left is 6.5. I guess I didn't think I would want it higher than the media center. I do know that I don't know much
  • 9 years ago
    I've submitted a couple comments but Houzz isn't taking them!!!
  • 9 years ago

    The painting is just so tall. If you put it too low, it will be too close to the ground. It needs to feel centered, which is especially difficult on this wall. Unfortunately, it's just something you have to feel for when putting it up.

  • 9 years ago
    That picture is not going to work no matter where you try to hang it on that wall. It will always look funny with that grate right there. Two or three smaller pics would work better. Or maybe a different colour on just that wall.
  • 9 years ago

    Measure the space from the top of the baseboard to the bottom of the grate. How many inches do you have there?

    If you place the bottom down to about 6 inches above the baseboard, how close is it to the top of the grate?

    I like this photo, it's pretty low. If there is seating across from your sofa, I think it would look great. It's not necessary to see the entire painting while seated there. You can always walk up to it. Worth a try anyway. I think you are on the right track that it shouldn't be higher than your media centre.

    Westway Upper Stair Hall · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    I think you can still put up the painting, you just need some creativity to putting it up while covering the grate



    I was thinking if i were in your house and had that painting i would cover the grate by doing these things





    1. Painting it the same color as the wall color to reduce it from sticking out, but it seems you already have

    2. To further prevent it from sticking out, i would cover it with a grate cover or make a cheap one with material that is safe from heat/air and that way it would cover the slats. I think you could get the measurements of the grate and make 3 boards: one the length of the grate, and two for the sides sticking out an inch or so, so the grate isnt covered from letting the air travel.



    3. I would put the beautiful painting up dead center on the wall like, in the picture acm posted. And then put a shelf as decor on either side of the painting with flowers or an ornament or something not detracting from the painting to cover the grate.



    That might still take away from the painting or detract from its boldness but it might not, if you choose the right color shelf, decors etc flowers and the right size.





    I reposted acm's photo to show what i mean.



    & i posted gold tone shelves with unique designs but anything can work.





    Of course , you can cover the grate like i said with a same color board that allows air through or just leave it bare. It doesnt look so bad. The painting is so lovely.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here's the rule of thumb: Art should be hung at average eye level, about 58 inches high. The center of the artwork, not the top of the piece, should be at that height.

    You don't have to take the ceiling slope into consideration. However, I would center it on the wall from right to left, imagining the wall space ends on the left where it become a "doorway" to the hall.

    In my opinion, the painting (which is beautiful!) is a statement piece and should stand alone. I agree with others that the heating/ac vent is is the trouble here.

    The blue horse painting posted by Bette works at that height because it is a) at eye level and b) centered in the doorway visually.

    I think a large painting in a narrower size would help avoid the vent but I do love the painting you have now :)