Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_stroyer

Deck

N A
7 years ago
Cool idea for the deck!

I'm in the conceptual stages of redesigning and adding on to a 1960's MCM. Would you be interested in giving an opinion on the general look?
Modern House Plan 2 · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    MCM Design
    7 years ago

Sure, would be happy to give my opinion.

• N A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great - Thanks!

So, as I mentioned before I'm adding an addition on and renovating what is there. The current home is a 1960's MCM ranch that has features you would recognize from Eichler or maybe Frank Lloyd Wright. Unfortunately the home is to very dated (falling apart) and too small for our family. I've come up with a concept to add on but there's a couple things I'm concerned with about my design:

1. It's a low mono-pitch roof, while the rest of the home is low-pitch gables and flat roofs.

2. I've included a large wall of uninterrupted glass on the south side of the addition and I'm concerned that It's too uninteresting or just too much. The rest of the house has a lot of detail and although there's a lot of glass throughout, there's nothing quite like this.

3. I'm not confident about the type of windows I've chosen or how I've arranged the windows. I know they shouldn't be perfectly symmetrical in relation to one another but... I'd be very grateful for your thoughts or ideas!

Here's some pictures to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Here's a birds-eye-view from the south looking northward. The words 'SOUTH' are written where the proposed addition will go:

Here's what the south side of the home (where the addition is going) looks like now:

Here's South view of proposed addition:

East view of proposed addition:

West view of proposed addition:

Here's a plan view as well:

Let me know if you would like to see more pictures. I have plenty of them and I'm more than happy to share if it will help!

Thanks in advance!

• PRO
    MCM Design
    7 years ago

You proposed addition looks nice and is style appropriate. The mono pitch will be very dynamic, especially if the view out is dramatic or very scenic, bringing the outdoors in. The option of using a low pitched gable roof like the rest of the house will give a more gracious and balanced look to the house. Either fits the MCM aesthetic.

The windows look fine, just be careful to avoid "motel" windows like the proportions of a 6' x 8' sliding glass door. It looks like you are doing atrium doors (glass door with window to the side) down below which is the way to go with this style.

• N A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions MCM Design. Are you suggesting I remove the sliders on the main level?

• PRO
    MCM Design
    7 years ago

No, they look fine in relationship to the full window wall. I was referring to placing a 6'x8' sliding glass door into a solid blank wall. As mentioned before, your Atrium doors on the lower level are much more appropriate for mid century style.

N A thanked MCM Design
  • N A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

okay great - thanks again!

• N A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you very much for the feedback. Very Helpful!