Software
Houzz Logo Print
corrineo

My backyard

13 years ago
would like to get rid of the sod in the long area of the yard, like in the pic I saved from this site. Below is a pic of the area I'm refering too. Maybe 7' wide by 15'

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    Is that area a dead end or is that a gate leading out past the fence?
  • 13 years ago
    asb u see the sod does not do well back here at all. I'm tired of replacing it. So I thought the pavers would be a good Idea. I would also get rid of all the plants except yhe birds of paradice & palms..
    Need your thoughts , ideas etc....I have renters in here now so low maintenance is key. Thank you
  • 13 years ago
    It leads out to the side of house.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I wholeheartedly agree with aniluap2. Make it a wide curved path, weed barrier underneat, gravel and large stone slabs or just gravel.
  • 13 years ago
    You need to place some sort of edging along the path to prevent the gravel from disappearing into the flowerbeds. There are metal ones that you can curve or you can do this with bricks.

    Traditional Landscape · More Info

    Myers Park Retreat · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    yes Im in Florida, Daytona Bch . My tenants won,t keep up with the weeding in flower beds, though I like that idea if I were still living there but its not the case now. Beautifil pic's
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Where's the pic you said you saved from this site ? Do you have any 'inspirational' pics ? I wouldn't get rid of plants, you'll find bare areas require more, not less. maintenance and, apart from the grass, it looks nice and lush back there. I think I'd add more ferns and maybe some taller ornamental grasses and use irregular shaped flagstone with small river rock in between ... just don't forget to lay them on top of a good weed mat.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree as well with Aniluap2. the weed mat of course ......ok I have a major project to attack. Thank you for the input. Corrine
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @aniluap2 ... We must have had the same image in our minds ... there was only one response as I started writing ... and, on posting, I see I have said pretty much exactly what you said ! :-)
    Love that Englewood Garden pic, carolins !
  • 13 years ago
    Put a heavy layer of organic mulch in the bed as a weed preventor or you could plant a ground cover such as creeping thyme or some sort of succulent to choke out weeds. They are lucky that you are a concerned landlord who takes pride in the property.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks cozy casita. Carolins images is basically what I imagined.
  • 13 years ago
    I can't find it.....i got it off pinterest, pinined it to my gardening & backyards board the went to houzz to find it & thought I saved it butt I guess not....ill try again
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree, aniluap2 .. I think ground cover is the way to go, especially for the 'mini jungle' look that's already half there. Mulch always smacks of 'artificial' and too 'planned' for a really natural looking outdoor space .. to me at least ! :-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You're welcome aniluap ... I think all three of us were having the same vision .. Carolin was first to come up with the pic !
  • 13 years ago
    its by Greico Designers/Builders Dallas its a view of the courtyard from upper level. I printed it http://greicohomes.com