adayinthegarden48

Getting Thru Winter

flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Rosarians, how do you do it? What winter projects keep you busy during the off season? Is anyone up on new rose introductions for 2017? When do you start your lists for the coming spring? I would like to see photos of your winter landscapes and last season's roses, which are always an inspiration for the coming year. We need the break that winter provides, but I would love a longer growing season. Please add anything wintery that comes to mind. This thread is intended to help pass the long winter days ahead. The first day of winter is December 21. Spring is 92 days away.

Comments (1.6K)

• Hans

Ingrid, thank you for supporting me in the Hot Topics forum. Thumps up !!!

I left them a sermon the may chew on if the like.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18

Hans, do you mean Ingrid that frequents the antique roses forum? I don't think I've ever seen her comment here. I'm going to have to find this hot topics forum. Sounds interesting. Hans, what is the title of the thread?

• Hans

Hot topics is in the Garden Forums. I believe she frequents the rose forum as well.

The title is "the Dutch are smarter than us".

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Just based on the title, Hans, I would have to agree with the statement!

• Holly Webster(7bNC)

I'm still contemplating the 28 candidates... gosh, it must sometimes be so tough to narrow down & make final decision. Kinda like trying to choose a new fragrant white rose. So many choices, most sound ok, but you never really know how they will perform until they are in your garden.

Can't remember who was talking about recipes, but I am recently obsessed with the idea of trying to make rose petal jam or rose jam, using both petals & hips. Hmmm. I made marmalade, and I think rose hips might function the same way. Hmmm...

Photographer came & photoed up the house this morning. Have a small repair happening tomorrow & then it's all systems go! I think my anxiety level has risen: I had a "daymare" (daydream + nightmare) that I sold my house to someone who is allergic to roses & I was scrambling to find homes for all my roses. O-O!

Beautiful day here. Feels more like fall than spring. Bright sun, cold crisp air. Great day to be out messing around with roses! :D

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

High today here will be about 40 degrees with some sun...

oh no what a dream Holly! :-O

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

It's gorgeous here (about 70F and sunny), and I'll be heading out soon to continue more heavy duty, boring chores. I'm ripping right along, having completed clean up and Plant Tone application. Now on to manure and pruning! What could be more exciting? We're expecting rain off and on in the next few days, so I've got to keep moving.

i want to write more tonight (after St Pat's dinner) because there have been some fascinating posts by Hans, and baffling vet subject posts by Jim. Jim, I hope that the vet is on the right track after the weird diagnosis mixup. It sounds like Cagney is doing much better, as is Clancy--I remain cautiously optimistic. Hans, if you want to read posts (called diaries with accompanying threads) more to your thinking, check out The Daily Kos. I read them daily. It's a huge website. Lots of news topics.

Happy St. Pat's Day, and wear green (a few leaves will do). Diane

Looking forward to this....

And this....I can't stand it! Will it ever happen???

• lavenderlacezone8

Wowsa Nanadoll! No wonder you are getting so impatient! The second picture is of Julia Child, right? But what is the first one?

• Hans

Diane, Great site and I registered as "Alive in 46"

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

LL, that is August Luise, and the second is Julia. Thanks for the comment.

Alive in 46--that's great, Hans. Diane

More Augusta a rose of many colors.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Wow fantastic rose pics Nanadoll...Glad Clansey is doing better...:-)

Cagney doing well today again she's eating much better and no throwing up...Vets advised we need to try and get Cagney on a cat food for sensitivities while she's feeling better but so far it's a no go because she hates the crap...So we have a long road ahead yet...

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

So glad to hear that both Cagney and Clancy are doing better. When the vet was trying to figure out what was going on with my kitty, he recommended lamb baby food. Most cat food doesn't have lamb and therefore most cats don't have a sensitivity towards it. My kitty loved the lamb. She took the first lick and then looked at me as if to say, where has this been all my life!

Been down with the creepy crud again all week. My singing Christian Karaoke painter is gone and the house is done. He loved to blast Christian music and sing along. He was brave to sing as loudly and out of tune as he was and I was brave to listen to it while I was sick. I figure, whatever gets the job done....So, I shall see if I can find a picture of before and after. I think I have one when I bought the house back in 2002.

Let's see, I have replaced the roof, redone the front and back yard, refenced, redid the flooring, water heater, windows, part of the siding, hardscape and landscape, lighting, plumbing, kitchen, bathrooms, etc. Pretty much a new house.

After

Back yard before

Ugh! Hated the railroad ties.

After

Oh, yea, so much better!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Great pics mustb! Everything looks fantastic! I'll keep the lamb baby food in mind... Thanks!

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova

Wow, what a transformation! Can't say I've ever seen lamb baby food!!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Come to think of it either have I on the lambs baby food... Maybe a special type of store or something? Where did you find lamb Mustb? Thanks...

• summersrhythm_z6a

Free St Patrick rose at Michigan Bulb (3 day sale)! 50% coupon code for other items:08574235

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Gerber used to make it years ago. I found it with the other baby food at the supermarket. I checked Amazon and the Gerber website. Seems like they stopped making it. Must be because I don't buy it in bulk anymore. How's that for egocentric! I also bought ground lamb and cooked it myself and then pureed it in the food processor. She loved it!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Oh, and thank you for the nice compliments on the house. I am really liking the new color. I especially like the "haint" blue I went with on the porch ceiling and front door. What a difference a coat or two of paint can make!

Jim, I hope this article is helpful to you: Guidelines for IBD Kitties. Here's a lamb, limited ingredient cat food recommended for cats with IBD: Natures-Variety-Instinct-Limited-Ingredient Lamb. They also have duck, rabbit and turkey. I looked at the ingredients of our current cat food and it has the irritant/filler carrageenan, so I will be making a switch. Hopefully it will be to my cats' liking. I ordered the turkey and duck in the 3 oz cans.

Mustb, you have made great changes to your home. I really like it.

Thanks, summers for the roses tip. I'll pass your coupon code to a few coworkers.

Diane, Is your Augusta Louise making it to spring? I assume that isn't a recent photo. The blooms are lovely. That's great that the antiviral medicine your ordered from Amazon is working out for Clancy. Is it called Enzyderm?

Beauty and the Beast shows this weekend! We'll be home all day tomorrow though waiting for the oven repair person. The poor guy said he's allergic to cats, but he is willing to come over anyway. My daughter is looking forward to baking cookies again.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Bonnie, I'd like some of those cookies. Nobody has been baking much around here the last few weeks, and I need a cookie fix. I hope your oven is fixed, too.....Augusta looks pretty good with every cane showing green for at least a few inches, and some quite a bit more. I credit that to the compost and leaf protection I put around her. I wish I'd mounded it higher. I have a Canadian rose, Morden Sunrise, that looks surprisingly bad and is not greening up or anything. I can't figure it out because it's been such a hardy rose in the past....The medication is called Viralys, and is a gel in a tube that you inject by syringe in the mouth. My son in law is an expert at this kind of stuff, and Clancy doesn't seem to mind it.....I hope Beauty and the Beast exceeds your expectations. We'll expect a review. I told son in law to get the movie American Graffiti because I want to see it again and have my granddaughters watch it. I told them the movie would show them what it was like when I was in high school. Where were you in '62? All of you were tiny specks floating in the ether or something (not very scientific). Anyway, the '62 thing was the theme phrase in all the movie ads. Great movie and the start of many illustrious careers.

Mustbe, I love the new color of your house, and am so impressed with all the improvements you've made to it. You have brought up property values in the neighborhood! The table area looks so inviting, and everything shows you have put a lot of thought into each change. Now my wish is that you have more time to enjoy it all. How is the rain situation? The Boise River is still at flood stage and the greenbelt is pretty much closed....7500cfs still coming out of the Lucky Peak Dam.....I hope the crud has gone away--obviously the Christian karaoke didn't cure you.

Jim, thanks for your nice comments. I hope you try the lamb food and it helps Cagney. Here's to some good weather for you. Has it improved and is the snow gone?

Holly, having rose hips as well as petals might deepen the flavor in your jam/preserves. I remember trying to make rosewater from rose petals that came from my roses, and there was no strength to the rosewater. So having the correct roses would probably help, too. Years ago, Victoria Magazine had some recipes for the jam and other goodies, as well as violet recipes. I wonder if you could find it online. I'm assuming you've been googling the topic already....I'm glad you're moving along so smoothly on the house sale preparation (except for dream). Diane

• Hans

Mustb, amazing what you did on your house. Simply marvellous!!!

• Holly Webster(7bNC)

All right, my Rose Friends, I need help here. I will be starting to look at condos in a week. This seems like such a ridiculous question, but here goes: How can I tell how much sun a condo deck will receive? It's often overcast this time of year and the condo complexes are built in such a convoluted way that telling where is east can be really difficult without a compass. Is there some way to look at the surrounding plantings & how they are growing to tell if there's enough sun for potted roses? And, do container roses need the same amount of sun as in ground plants? I have never grown anything in containers & haven't gardened really except for roses. Help! I feel kinda dumb :P

Holly, I regret that the best side of my house to grow roses is a walkway owned by the city. I wish that I had brought a compass with me when I was house searching. That would have been a great idea. You will spend so much on the condo, it will be a small price to pay to find out what side is north, south, east, west. You should be able to buy a compass in the camping section of a sporting goods store. Here is one on Amazon: Compass. Don't feel silly, because house direction is important to anyone interested in gardening. We all support you in your search for your home. Good luck!

Diane, that is really good news about Agusta Louise. How strange that a Canadian rose didn't do well. Hopefully it will come back by its roots. About where I was in '62, I was an egg waiting to be fertilized, ha ha. I should watch American Graffiti, There are so many A-list actors in it that are so young in the movie.

• summersrhythm_z6a

Jasmine, tell your friends the free rose ends today.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I would say roses in pots need at least 6+ hours of sun like in ground roses...Maybe get a compass so you know what direction is what to start...

Duck cat food is very greasy Bonnie... Our cats won't eat it..

I'll check out the cat link you provided Bonnie... Thanks!

• Hans

If you have a smartphone, it's easy to install a free compass app. That'll do the trick.

• summersrhythm_z6a

Holly, There are condos out there with yards, get one of those. Or just rent a cottage forever. I can't picture you living somewhere without a yard.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova

Jasmine-thank you for sharing those IBD kitty links; lots of good information. I am just wondering how you guys handle it when you have one fat cat and one that needs to eat more. I feel like Im telling my kids, " well you get a nice big yummy treat, but you dont because youre chubby..." My fat cat always looks at me like, "what about me?" when im feeding the little one the soft food...

• summersrhythm_z6a

You need to walk your fat cat Kelly. Lol I am not a cat person, they all look like bobcats to me. I can't tell the difference between Lynx and bobcat.

Kelly, I always read that wet food is good for overweight cats, because the water content helps the cat to feel more full. I wonder if dry food would have been better for their teeth, but it's too late now, because my cats much prefer the wet food. One of my cats is chubby too. I think her metabolism is slower than the others. She likes to exercise with a fishing toy, but I need to get it out more often.

Speaking of high calorie food, there will be no cookies today. The oven part that was ordered was damaged, so the repair people rescheduled for April 1st. This is the second try. The first part they ordered was white and I have a stainless steel oven. All this, because I spilled a cup of tea that shorted out the key pad. Hopefully their delay will help me lose a few pounds.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Your home is beautiful, mustb. You've truly made it yours. I miss the crepe myrtles in CA. They have such a long blooming period. But, now I have lilacs. It all evens out - but nothing here compares to Jacarandas.

Diane, I am almost finished with Elizabeth and Her German Garden. I'll start The Enchanted April tonight. If you haven't already, look up Elizabeth Von Arnim's bio. It reads like a novel. Quite an interesting life. I was surprised to learn she wrote Mr. Skeffington. I've seen the old 1944 movie with Bette Davis and Claude Raines several times. The movie version of Enchanted April was first made in 1935. Reviewers agree it's not as good as the remake in '92, but I will try to find it anyway. It stars Ann Harding, one of my favorites. No, I'm not THAT old, I just like the old movies best.

We are having a flooding problem with all this melting snow. I'm not near the Spokane River, but I'm very close to the Little Spokane and Little Deep Creek that wind their way through the county. There is a cottage on the river that is all sand bagged and ready for the worst. It's very old, with huge weeping willows on the river's edge. I came close to ending up in the Little Spokane one year when my car slid on ice and came to a stop in the gully, just a few feet from the river. The owner of the cottage tried to pull me out, but it took AAA to get it done. All I could think of during all this was how picturesque - the blue cottage, the huge trees overhanging the river, everything covered in snow and the man who lived there driving up in his red pick-up with a Christmas tree and his black lab in the back.....I must be nuts thinking so fondly of winter!!

Jasmine and Diane, you've got me wanting cookies! Which I do not need.

Flowersaremusic, what a frightening experience. It's good that you lived to remember winter fondly.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Flowers, I did check out Elizabeth von Armin's biography on Wikipedia and was amazed by all the literati that she was related to (Kathryn Mansfield, a cousin), had affairs with (HG Wells), or was married to (one was the older brother of Bertrand Russell). Elizabeth got around, but she had a fascinating life. I was surprised to learn she was born in Australia, and her cousin Kathryn Mansfield was born in New Zealand. Check out the beautiful google images of Elizabeth and the book cover illustrations if you haven't already.....I think I'll read Elizabeth and Her German Garden before long.

That was such a neat, but very scary story, about your near slide off into the river. I hope the wonderful cottage escapes the current flooding. You must live in the back country. Do you still have much snow on the ground? I know I've said it before, but spring has definitely sprung around here. Roses are pushing out leaves like crazy, and I am stressing out about pruning. I thought I had plenty of time, but when the warm weather hit, all it took was about three days. Scary. The Canadian rose I thought looked dead yesterday is covered in small leaves today---boy, was I wrong on that one. Just 24 hours on a dead looking rose, and it has leaves. Will miracles never cease?

Bonnie, I'm sorry your oven still isn't fixed. The cookie talk made me hungry enough to ask my granddaughter, Jemma, to bake some chocolate chip cookies. She said, "yes", but they didn't get made. Bummer.....I believe George Lucas produced and directed American Graffiti, his first big hit. A couple of years later, he made Star Wars. The actors who went on to big stuff were Ron Howard, who is also a producer-director, Richard Dreyfuss, and Harrison Ford, among others. It was definitely a male dominated film because the only lead actress to go on to other stuff was Cindi ? who had a lead in LaVerne and Shirley. Diane (and here's more cat stuff, the real topic of this Forum--ha).

Clancy: I Vant to be Alone

Clancy to Finn: Buzz off you pest....

Clancy: I am the top cat around here.
    Clancy and Finn: Friends at last.

My daughter and son in law ready to go out on Valentine's Day.

Diane, you might find the facts on this webpage interesting: Cast-of-american-graffiti-then-and-now.

Diane, your cats are beautiful and so is your family. We couldn't make cookies, so we made chocolate chip pancakes instead (the top range is working). Neat that your Canadian pushed out growth so quickly! It must have thought, "I better show her I'm alive before it's too late!"

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, love you photos of Clancy and Finn. Finn doesn't get much press around here. Glad Clancy is doing well on the new meds. They sure can throw us for a loop when they're sick. Your daughter has beautiful eyes and a beautiful smile, and this must be the son-in-law who knows how to fix anything. That's the best kind to have. They are a good looking couple.

Happy to hear Morden Sunrise pulled through. I think that one is good to zone 4. I wanted to run outside to check mine after I read you thought yours didn't make it. I never give the Morden roses a second thought about surviving winter. Or, any of the Canadian roses, for that matter. A little new growth and we feel like celebrating. It doesn't take much to thrill a rose lover. My snow is almost gone except where it's piled it up. Was able to get around my entire soggy garden yesterday. Was like walking on wet sponges. There's a little new growth, but not much, yet. We've barely gone above 50˚ so far.

• Hans

Diane, nice and happy looking family you have, cats included.

We have drizzly rains over here in the lower 50's. My roses seem to like it and are leafing out just wonderfully. I have been spreading my compost as a mulchlayer, barely got enough but you never have enough I suppose. All I can do is wait for the warmer weather to come and get my summer tan.

Darcey Bussell, just a foot high now... and my daffodils of which I don't know how the got there, I remember having only one flower last year. There are some blue scylla as well, haven't seen those in many years there.

• titian1 10b Sydney

Diane, love the pictures of Clancy and Finn, and the captions! Your daughter is beautiful, and I bet she takes after you.

I don't think I've ever seen you post photos of Morden Sunrise. I'm glad it made it, it's a beautiful rose - one that I used to gaze longingly at in my Botanica of Roses.

Despite Elizabeth von Arnim being involved in one way or another with all those literati, I don't think her life was happy. Many of her novels are thinly veiled autobiographies, and are rather sad. Well, that's the feeling I came away with. I think the German Count she married was a very difficult man. I would love to know more about her life. All I could find was a single page. Did either you or flowers find more?

flowers, that's a scary episode you recount. I think you must be quite the philosopher to be looking out and seeing the beauty of the scene. I hope that cottage survives. Is it still owned by the man who tried to rescue you? I hate to think of him losing his home.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't trade Jacarandas for lilacs, flowers. When I was child in England there was one under my bedroom window, and the scent was heavenly.

My son is coming to stay tomorrow, and not a moment too soon. My daughter has been away for 3 weeks, and he hasn't been here for most of that time as well, and I am dogged out. The dogs are lovely, but, oh it would be nice to be able to walk in a straight line! Trigger feels the need to lead the way everywhere, but very slowly! And to only have one on my bed. It's very hard to turn round without falling out of bed when you've been pushed to the edge!

mustb, your house looks great, and must give you much satisfaction to see what you've achieved. I'm waiting for the builder to come and fix my sagging heap. It actually stopped raining this afternoon, after about 3 weeks virtually non-stop, so he may come this week.

• Samuel Adirondack

I think you should start a new spring thread. I'm the farthest North and I have the sign of spring. My winter sow has Cabbage cauliflower and lettuce. Here's a pic of the Yankee Lettuce.

winter sowing is so good.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Yep tomorrows Spring and we got snow on the ground here... :-/

Wow love those pics of Clancy and Finn Nanadoll! All great pics! Love em!

I see leaves Hans! Nice pics!

Sam glad to see your yankee letuce coming up..:-)

Sadly Cagney is not feeling well again...Started yesterday...She's eating but not very good and seems awful tired... Side effect from medicine or who knows...??? I'm still trying to find canned food that's good for her IBD that she will eat...Burnt out I am...:-/ So if I do not get on much you will know why... I can't keep burdening you fine people and I'm plainly burnt out...So I will only update once in awhile on Cagney.... To many ups and downs...More downs lately..

• Hans

Jim, as long as there is hope, there is life!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I joined a feline IBD online support group... Maybe that can help me cope better as I need to refresh my thoughts...

Looking at extended forecast the rest of this entire month will be chilly so not much will be going on in the garden this month...

Thanks, Jim for the heads up on the fatty duck. I decided to order more of the Natures-Variety-Instinct-Limited-Ingredient/turkey and lamb instead. I wonder what the people in your support group think of that brand of cat food? I hope they can guide you regarding what is best for Cagney and that you can get the support you need.

Here is a small bouquet arranged today:

Shown from left to right, Red Intuition, Butter Cream, Tequila Supreme. The Red Intuition is from my friend's garden. The subtle stripes don't show well in my photo. In person, it looks really pretty and I was surprised that it had a light scent, since it is a florist rose.

I will look for the spring thread tomorrow. Trish, did you decide a title yet? I just realized, it's already Monday, March 20th already in Australia. Thank you, Flowersaremusic for being the host of the winter thread.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Thank you all again for the nice compliments on my house and yard. It was a beautiful weekend and I felt much better today and spent most of it outside. I was able to get the back yard cleaned up, fertilized, composted and mulched. Yea! I have cleaned out my pond pump and my fountain pump. I also put up some more solar twinkle lights along my fence. So busy, busy in prep for the rain that is supposed to happen starting Tuesday and is supposed to last the entire week. So thankful my house got painted last week. It would have had to have been cancelled due to weather this week. I am hoping to see what I can do with leftover daylight on Monday before the rain starts in. I am hoping to get the side yard done tomorrow. Next weekend will be the front.

My Flamingo Dancer is blooming as is my Peppermint Parfait. There is a large bud on Vick's Caprice. My Sequoia rose has been blooming for the past couple of weeks. Looks like all four of the canes I cut on Candice took and I should have four new plants. Four of the canes on Brother Cadfael also took (Brother is very easy to grow on its own root) so I have four more of that plant as well. Those are going to a co-worker. So, it seems that Candice is extremely easy to grow on its own root. Who knew?

Hope everyone's sweet beastie's are doing better. Have a wonderful week everyone. Back to the old grind again....ugh....

Mustbnuts, I congratulate you on your knack for rooting. Four own root Candices, wow!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Jim, I think joining the support group is a good idea, not only for emotional support and an outlet for talking to others with cats having the same problems, but you might get some good tips on how to deal with the IBD. IBD in cats must be more common than I'd realized. I know it occurs in humans. Did your vet give you any advice at all in dealing with this?....I hope some sun and warm weather returns to your area. Gardening is going to really help you focus on some fun things for a change. Thanks for your comments on the photos. Clancy is feeling better, but is not cured. Finn, a real sweetie, has to put up with ol' grump Clancy who's getting his naughty attitude back.

Hans, I love your daffs and scylla. What a delightful color combination. My daffs are blooming, too, and it's kind of amazing that this is happening at the same time in The Netherlands and the hinterlands out here in Idaho, so far apart. I've got to take a photo of them because they are from antique bulbs, and they don't last long. My daffodil bulbs were found years ago by a friend's husband who rode back into the mountains of gold mining country, and found the original plants blooming in front of an abandoned miner's cabin. I've told this story before, but I love to think of all passing along of the bulbs from the original old, old plants. Thanks for the kitty compliments.

Samuel, you are going to be growing some great veggies in your garden, and what a perfect job you are doing with the winter sowing. I wish I could sample a few you list this summer.

Trish, are you ready for the big spring/fall start up? It's less than an hour away out here. Break out the fireworks and champagne! .....Thank you for the nice comments, but Samantha (daughter) looks like her Dad, and I look like my Dad, so we look nothing alike. Genetics is strange.....I totally agree that Elizabeth von Armin must have led a sad life for the most part. I think her cousin Kathryn Mansfield was a lot wilder. I just read Elizabeth's bio in Wikipedia, plus a few other random comments. I knew more about Mansfield from reading her stuff. We need to start a books thread. Book clubs are very popular around here, and a friend of mine belongs to two of them.....Lots of rain hereabouts, which is good, but my progress has ground to a halt, though the roses forge on. They'll be blooming before I get them pruned.....How does your garden look? You have my sympathies with all the doggy bedroom guests. I can't even sleep with a cat. They are not allowed in my bedroom. Is your son coming home permanently? That would be great.

Bonnie, thanks for the American Graffiti link, which I enjoyed, plus I read the extensive Wikipedia write up, too. Brought back the details that I'd forgotten.....I got my chocolate chip cookies today when Jemma baked them. Then she took her final Driver's Ed drive with her mother in the back seat, and teacher in the front. Streeess. No. She passed with flying colors.

See you all tomorrow and happy spring! Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Trish, here are some pics of Morden Sunrise. Diane

• Holly Webster(7bNC)

Jim, I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I would like to know how Cagney is doing. I'm glad you found an online group to help you cope. One thing my vet said to try was chicken and rice. I boiled chicken, including the skin, gizzards, liver and heart, with rice. Pulled out the bones & pureed in food processor. Can be frozen. Can be thinned down with water to make a gruel for days when she doesn't feel like eating. This can also be made with other meat, such as ground lamb, if she can't tolerate chicken.

Well, my house went on the market at noon Sunday, by 6pm I had a full-price all cash offer. Looks like I am soon to be a container gardener.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Thank you, everyone, for getting us through this l-o-n-g winter together.

"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" Shelley

I'm so glad it's spring!

• Hans

Thank you flowers, you did a wonderful job and set an all-time record. I'll turn off the lights here.

If Hans turned off the lights, think of this as a nightlight, guiding your way to the spring thread. Find us here: Falling-into-spring.