Software
Houzz Logo Print
mike_vanderbilt

Help please -Ram's head

9 years ago

Hello. I see all these gold, white animal heads which may be a nice trend. Being an Aries I thought it would be cool to hang a Ram's head on my wall but someone pointed out that Ram or Goat heads are Satanic!!! Is this true? Should I take it down and use something else?

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago

    I have a sheeps head sculpture. I never considered it satanic and never would.

  • 9 years ago

    Following to see how this goes...

  • 9 years ago

    This could get very sticky. You began with a reference to the Zodiac which many Christians would also consider of satanic origin. Where the goats head may be linked to the satanic I don't think EVERY or ANY version would necessarily be recognized as such. Perhaps a picture would help us agree or disagree about YOURS? One could google satanic symbols and if a replica of your Ram comes up you might have something to think about. Putting all that aside how do YOU feel about it now? Now that the idea has been planted is it still something you enjoy in your home? I think that is what would be the most influential for me.

  • 9 years ago

    i don't find any animal heads hanging on a wall attractive decor-wise. JMHO for what it's worth. Creepy.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree that animal heads as decor seem creepy to me - even though there are beautiful animals and their horns, etc. can be very sculptural. I'd rather enjoy them in nature, or a photo, or art piece.

    If a christian hangs a cross in their house, I'd assume they see it as a religious symbol. To me, it's just a cross with nothing loaded attached to it. If a satanist hangs a symbol that represents their beliefs, they see that in the symbol. To me, it would just be a "whatever it is" since I don't believe as they do, either. But I can see if you don't want others (not sure how many would even know) to think you are something you aren't, then I'd say do your research and if you find that some use your ram's head in a way you find offensive, then find something else for your home.


  • 9 years ago

    Ram's head with a reversed pentacle - that would be pushing it. Otherwise, no problem!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Ram's heads were a very popular form during the period around 1800, especially for furniture decoration and in Adam-style wall ornamentation.

    This style of harp is known as a "ram's head Erard," Erard being the harpmaker.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I found this planter that I fell in love with to put on my mantel under a very large mirror, but forgot to post my bid timely. Something like this doesn't have the creepy feeling of an animal head on the wall, at least for me. Still kicking myself for not posting my bid timely. It went for way lower than what I was ready to pay for it.

  • 9 years ago

    Olychick, Oops, you inadvertently made a typo in your comment, "If a christian hangs a cross in their house, I'd assume they see it as a religious symbol. To me, it's just a cross with nothing loaded attached to it". "Christian" is a proper noun. Failure to capitalize it might be more offensive than a ram's head used as a decoration in someone's home. ;-)

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for your comment pinkpaula. Not intended to offend, just reflects my values - just as someone who would hang an animal's head reflects theirs.

  • 9 years ago

    http://www.clevelandart.org/blog/2015/02/18/celebrate-year-ram-chinese-new-year 

    Ram's heads go back before the start of Christianity and any idea of Satan.

    If anyone wanted to give me a Greek rams head gold drinking vessel, I'd take it.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Are you bowing before it and summoning the dark forces? No? Then it's not satanic.

    Honestly, the absurd pronouncements some people make! It also seems that some just LOOK for an opportunity to take offense where none was intended.

    Enjoy your art in whatever form it takes, and don't let the silly hang ups of others sway you.

  • 9 years ago

    "Are you bowing before it and summoning the dark forces? No? Then it's not satanic.

    Honestly, the absurd pronouncements some people make! It also seems that some just LOOK for an opportunity to take offense where none was intended.

    Enjoy your art in whatever form it takes, and don't let the silly hang ups of others sway you."


    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Finally, an intellegent response to this thread.


  • 9 years ago

    The ram is one of the Chinese signs of the Zodiac and I have a figurine that is over a thousand years old which has nothing to do with Christianity or Satanism. I really wouldn't worry about what other people think; it's your home and your right to have whatever pleases you in it. If someone is so narrow-minded or judgmental I'm not sure that I would welcome their presence.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I do think there are things that have cultural meanings that may escape attention and it doesn't hurt to ask for clarification.

    For instance, I have a dear friend that drove around for years with a prominent rainbow sticker on the back of her mini van. Her teenage girls were mortified when she attached it. She was surprised when they told her what it meant but she didn't take it off the car.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio