Software
Houzz Logo Print
irismead

How to improve the look of this house

9 years ago

This house is in an eclectic, small lakeside community that I fell in love with. The 2 story portion is a 2/2 apartment that will produce income. Those are the reasons that I want to buy this house. How can the exterior be updated economically? it was just painted this color and I'm hoping if the shutters and door were changed, I might be able to live with it for a while. Suggestions?

Comments (33)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would say it is the color of the home, blends into much with the nature look! Yes do an accent on shutters and front door as it would help.

    Ken


  • 9 years ago

    Since the paint is new, maybe you can add contrast with the environment by replacing the shrubs with something with purple or burgundy leaves and use hot pink and purple annuals in planters for summer. Remove that tree in the left corner, it is crowding the house. Japanese maple is a nice choice to replace it and adds the burgundy I was thinking of.

    Eclectic community signals that there is no HOA making rules about colours, etc so you can let your imagination run free!

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would take the cyclone fencing down. Even though this is new paint I would paint the lower level a dark brown. I would replace fron door awning with a new look and interesting shape. Remove tree near house and remove old shrubs. In spring work on new beds with plantings that compliment the house. Paint front door in the yellow green to tie in with second floor. Place colorful pots on and near front porch in spring overflowing with colorful plants and flowers.
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    6' Designer Awnings in a Box, Cocoa · More Info
    Something like this, just to keep some water off if this is main entrance.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Home on Pemaquid Pond · More Info
    Not the same green (this is actually grass) but brown bottom (along with some stone which could be lining beds in the future. That would "ground" the look of the home.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I'm not sure what part of the house remains green. The 2 story is added to the end of the 50's ranch with the parking shed in front. Here's a different shot. also, what bout the shutters?

  • 9 years ago

    If the paint color stays, you might look into new shutters that actually fit the windows since the current ones are too small. On those single windows, shutters should be wide enough to touch if they were to actually close. (I think there may be an article in Houzz about this). Updating the windows would help too, if it's in the budget. I also like the above suggestion of updating the awning over the door.

  • 9 years ago
    Agree - remove the fence and replace the awning and shutters. I do think you'll need to repaint the house. If you don't love the color now, you'll always regret not painting it a color you do love. Plus I think the added curb appeal will return to you in increased home value.
  • 9 years ago
    Take the shutters and awning off, remove the hideous fence. Contemplate a bright blue for the door. This house NEVER was intended to have shutters.
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks. I was trying to imagine the house without the shutters but wasn't sure if that would be better. At some point I'd like a patio area in the front and even thought replacing the large window with doors. Maybe a pergola over the area. Would that work? So, you think the overall appearance with the color can be improved with bright blue door? Would an orange work? And yes, the fence will go. Thanks!

  • 9 years ago

    The shutters have to go, but it's possible they weren't removed for the new paint job so unless you plan to repaint, check to make sure the new colour goes under them before removing them all. Shutter-shaped gaps in a different colour would be much much worse so you might have to wait for removal until a new paint job is in the plan.

    Orange with that green would look garish imo. Blue or purple for my taste :)

    Are you hesitant to paint due to financial reasons or simply because it was just done and you don't want to "waste" it? If you have the finances, go for a colour you love. There's no sense trying to "live with" someone else's version of beautiful if you have the means to make it your own!

  • 9 years ago
    There are some other things I wanted to do before the new paint, and,yes, I also didn't want to waste what was done.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You asked about curb appeal. The color of this house is really bad new or not. So by changing some of it, you will vastly improve that curb appeal. That is "worth" a lot both in future home value and in your own pleasure driving up to this place. So how do you plan on spending your budget for exterior improvements?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I know you don't want to hear this, I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time with the color. I know you just painted it, but maybe save your pennies and paint during the spring/summer. There are so many people on this board that try and do things that are not going to get where they want because they are ignoring the elephant in the room.

    I know budget. Don't know where you live but maybe you could find someone starting out to paint it so it wouldn't cost a lot. If the siding is in good shape, maybe you could do it yourself?

  • 9 years ago

    I was hoping to come up with something that would help temporarily to allow me to focus more on some other things and come back to painting later. I want to put a small kitchen in the apartment so that I can rent that. There's also some fairly minor kitchen and bathroom work. I'm wouldn't want to leave the house color as it is for a ng period of time.

  • 9 years ago

    To clarify, you didn't choose this colour, right? Your original post said "I *want* to but this house." Was that a typo, or is this a hypothetical question that will help you decide whether to purchase or not?

  • 9 years ago

    Should say "buy" this house

  • 9 years ago

    No, I didn't paint the house. I am in the process of buying this because of location and it has an apartment that I can rent out. I'm in agreement that the color is awful.

  • 9 years ago

    The current owner selected this color. As I said, I love the community and the prospect of having additional income from renting out the apartment That is why i am considering buying.

  • 9 years ago

    I like the house color, but that's beside the point, right? Completely agree re the shutters. This looks like a friendly house in a woodsy neighborhood, so I would take the suggestions to either remove the shutters or replace them with shutters of the right size. And I like the funny little awning - adds a 50's flair. I would paint that the same green as the house to help it blend in. Adding a different awning isn't going to do much for you, IMO, unless you are going to do more such as changing the white carport posts for something more substantial such as fatter, brown posts so that the carport would look like a picnic table pavilion, with matching fat posts to hold up a portico over the front door.


    Very cute house as is...looks inviting.

  • 9 years ago

    It sounds like you're purchasing for the right reasons: good location, a return on investment with the apartment rental. If the market isn't super hot where you are, maybe you can get a price reduction based on the aweful colour. It's worth a try!

    So for now, since resale is not a concern, it seems the general consensus is:

    -Remove the awning.

    -Remove the shutters if the house is painted under them.

    -Paint the front door a brighter colour.

    -Remove the tree at the left front corner and the shrubs, focus on landscaping as the season allows.

    -Take down the fence.

    With the interior renovations you're planning that is more than enough to keep you busy for quite awhile. The rental income will pay for your paint job rather quickly :)

  • 9 years ago

    You could tame down the chartreuse with taupe trim and shutters (if you leave them)

    Southern California Eichler · More Info
    or with navy blue:
    Cedar & Metal Gate & Fence · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you are still in the negotiating space, negotiate for fence removal, and shutter removal and repainting. I would also get an inspection of everything including the roof. A new roof on this place (both structures) would cost a lot of money. Location is everything, but that doesn't mean you can't negotiate. If you remove the shutters, I would beef up the wood trim around the windows and white paint would help tone down the acid green too.

  • 9 years ago

    Just a few samples of other colors that might compliment the green. I don't think I would put any additional bright colors on the exterior. Use colors that will help tone down the green, not add to the intensity. CLF is the #1 item that lowers home values, so put its removal at the top of your list. Make sure the apartment you are so excited about meets local codes for a rental before you pour yourself into an idea that may not fly with authorities. If there has never been a kitchen in the apartment, that is a red flag to me - there must be a reason there was never one installed. What is installation going to cost and how will rent offset it? Be sure you aren't biting off a pink elephant that will never provide what you are looking for income wise.

    Brettkelly Residence, Oakland, CA · More Info

    Brettkelly Residence, Oakland, CA · More Info

    Cloud Residence · More Info

    Contemporary Patio · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    The area that I will use as an apartment was built as a family room with upstairs master suite. The family room is large enough for a small kitchen area. It has it's own entrance. Also separated from the main house by a laundry room. This location allows for this so that's not a problem. I expect to put no more than 5k in the kitchen and hopefully rent for $900-$1000 a month. The colors you posted does tone down the chartreuse. Thanks for your comments.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Do you know what current rental income is? I would ask to see that in writing. Verbals mean it doesn't exist. Not sure what shape the kitchen is in, but $5K in a kitchen doesn't go far at all. Just depends. Does it have new appliances? Is it updated. Renters want "stuff". But it depends on what the area brings. Investigate what going rates are for renting, if you haven't already. I think you can make this a great property, but you maybe grossly underestimating the cost to bring it up to speed. Inspection of electricals to make sure things are "up to code" would be vital for renting. If you aren't up to code and anything happens, expect to get sued, big time.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm reading that the family room/upstairs master was never a rental apartment. There's the rub! What plumbing is available for a new install? $5K won't do much more than make a start on a new kitchen, even if it is an efficiency kitchen with no full size appliances. You seriously need to know local regulations for rental apartments. There are issues that don't come up with a family home that you may have to deal with if you're converting part of a family home into a rental. Not trying to rain on your parade, but better a shower now than a drenching later!

  • 9 years ago

    Remove shutters and awning and paint the front door.

  • 9 years ago

    I would suggest adding a white fence instead of the current one. The white will add a bit more brightness to the yard.

    Canyon Oak · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    The code allows for adding a kitchen and renting the area. The area where the kitchen will be located shares a wall with the laundry room and the electrical box. i think That helps with the construction.

  • 9 years ago

    Also, what is CLF that decoenthusiaste referred? Not familiar with that.

  • 9 years ago

    Chain Link Fence = CLF