Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindseytoth

Need help on tiny entryway design!

9 years ago

Hello Houzzers! We are new home owners and this is my first time posting in hopes you all can help me with my first project in our new home: our entryway!

I've attached pictures of the current space; as you can see, it is quite tiny and very much opens directly up into the rest of the living (and dining) space almost immediately. I really wanted to use this space to still have a bit of a welcome wow though, even though it is small. My sister in-law and her husband have offered to make us a beautiful live-edge entry console table with iron hairpin legs (like the one below) to fit the space exactly directly in front of the door, and I thought it would be fun to do that with a very high mirror and some sconces (see photos of some of the ones I was thinking and you can see I started to map out the idea in paper in one photo). You will see there is an alarm box and a switch; I would remove the alarm box completely and possibly relocate the switch so these wouldn't be an issue.

My questions are the following though:

  • Is this space realistically too small to put even a tiny table (I was going to have her build it at a depth of 10"). All dimensions are below.
  • I find the chair rail to seem a bit weird here and that the whole wall should be wall-papered or something in a statement color - thoughts? Should we remove the chair rail in this space completely? If so, how do we do the transition? And then what about the wall immediately to its right? Maybe she does the table with only 2 front legs and we attach to wall above chair rail (though it would be quite high - about 40.5").
  • At what height should we build the table given the chair rail? Over? Under?
  • Not sure what to do with the ceiling light if we add sconces?
  • If we keep the chair rail, should we paint the space just like the rest of the living room? Or go bold somehow? We will likely be adding wanes coating and painting all under the chair rail white with a light gray/beige above the chair rail for the rest of the living space.
  • Anything else I'm not thinking of?!

Thanks in advance for your expert help - I'm really struggling with this space!


Dimensions:

  • space dimensions below.
  • Floor to below chair rail: 37"; Chair rail: 3.5"; Above chair rail to bottom edge of crown molding: 65.75" (total height floor to crown moulding: 106.25" (9' ceilings)
  • With the door open, there is 13.75" to work with for a table width

Comments (2)