Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (129)

• evierh
    11 years ago
    All of the pictures from the website Twisted Sifter: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/09/picture-of-the-day-the-venezuelan-poodle-moth/. It's only an inch long!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    He's got weird eyebrows!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    attach it to the wall
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No can do, there's that awful 4" backsplash. Maybe I could attach it to the 4" backsplash?
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    ok....that cabinet was built in then bob....they put in the bottom vanity then attached the upper cabinet, then built all the trim molding around it. That's what it looks like. Why, do you want to do that in your bathroom?
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't know, because I'm too old to keep bending to get at the bottom stuff? The vanity is 5 or 6 feet, one sink, plenty of room. Just have to figure out how! Thanks, MP!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    what kind of countertop do you have?
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    You can notch out the back bottom to fit around the backsplash for one...no matter what kind of countertop you have, to go over backsplash....if you have a formica top you can lay down 2 pieces of wood on top of it and then attach the cabinet from the lower side the wood on the countertop. Now this would have to be a permanent solution. If you can't screw something into the counter then you would have to use an adhesive. But it can be done.
    I haven't done my middle bath yet....I've been thinking about doing the same thing but in the middle between the 2 sinks. Haven't replaced the countertop yet, so still deciding exactl what I want to do. I have one of the big ginormous mirrors that goes all the way from wall to wall across the vanity. I have to have a plan before I do anything. I keep going back and forth about the jack and jill thing. I really don't want 2 sinks in there, but should probably keep that for resale.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    sorry...from the lower outside of the cabinet, screw or nail the cabinet to the wood pieces that are flat on counter, sideways into it....couldn't edit my horrible explanation above! ha!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No worries, I understood! If you have two sinks with one ginormous mirror, why not make two frames and center them on the mirror with the sinks? For the center part of the mirror, you could put a delicious wallpaper!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    OR you could add a piece of wood trim to the back sides and top leaving 4 inches void at the bottom of the cab so it would fit over the backsplash....
    I was thinking about just buying a small tall skinny cab to set on top of mine and then adding molding around it, IF i liked it, to make it look more built in. Know what I mean? Here's a couple of small cabs that may work for you. Found them on the target website. You could put one on each side of the skinnier ones. The double door one I'm showing you because of the style, maybe you could find a single door one like this??
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    well bob, sounds wonderful....here's the deal though. I have to decide what I want to do with the countertop first. I have this crazy idea to do a thick piece of wood on top of the laminate. Semi-natural looking and cutting ovals in the big slab of wood to fit over my sinks that I have in there now. They will look like undermount sinks. I have to be mindful when I do anything in this place. It's only worth so much and right now I'm in the "good".
    I would love to replace the sinks, the cabs, the countertop with something more expensive. hell I would like to move the plumbing onto the wall and have the fixtures there! I would like to move the tub from where it is now and the toilet where the tub is. But I really should not do this in "this" house. I need to wait til I build my own house to blow money I feel.
    Mirrors are cheap. I can frame the one I have, or get 2 normal sized ones for above each sink. I just have to figure out what I'm doing with the counter first. This bathroom has been somewhat limiting because of the tile. Nothing wrong with it, but it's tiled high on all walls and the tile is a light tan with a pinkish hue to it. I am not changing that. There's too much of it. It's turned into a very manly looking bathroom. I painted the cabs dark espresso for the time being because i was having a hard time with the tile. The countertop is the same color as the tile. very weird, but true. The only thing that I have done so far is lightly texture and paint the walls white. Painted the cabs dark brown, put new hardware on the vanity and I HAD to replace the faucets immediately with something that was fairly cheap at homey depot. not what i wanted, but when I had some friends over bleaching and helping me clean the joint up after purchasing....one of the faucets just fell apart in my friends hand! hahaha! She was so embarrassed. Thought it was her. I was like, no honey, it's petrified!!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    MP, I like that second one! I wonder if I'm neat enough for glass front doors!

Can you tile over the vanity top? Or is that too much tile? A thick piece of wood would be nice. What about the wood look tiles? Much easier on the maintenance. If you buy two mirrors, do you know what's behind the big mirror you have now? Are you sure the wall is textured? I had to replace the faucet in mine, too, it had NO FLOW!!! A fat lot of good that would do me! I got the cheapo Homey Depot faucet too, but unless I replace the sink, I'm ok with it.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Did anyone hear Obama's speech this afternoon? Man! That is one seriously pissed off Pres. The background thing didn't pass, I can't even believe that. Vote the bums out!
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    WHAT!???? How could that not pass???????????????????? What is wrong with these twits?

and yes I know that it is a wallpapered wall!!! lol! I have not taken that thing down yet....It's just sheetrock and paper!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You know, you and I would make such a great remodeling team! You need to move HERE!!! God we could have such fun :))
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Morning all, beautiful sunny autumn day here AGAIN - this is almost getting boring.

Just having a chuckle here, MP you really do need to be closer to Bobbi, then you can go and decorate other peoples' homes and R will heave a sigh of relief he can reclaim his weekends again.

Bobbi, 1st cure for your bathroom - go buy some solid baskets for your shelves and put everything in the baskets, then you just slide them in and out like a drawer. Don't know why I didn't think of it for my vanity years ago.

2nd cure, I know your decorating ideas are so much different to ours in many ways but could you get rid of your mirror and put a mirrored cupboard in like I have. These are all the go here and are so practical. The whole unit is just under 6" deep but the shelves are only 4 1/4" deep and are adjustable and made of glass for easy cleaning. I have just everything of mine on the shelves to quickly grab. Don't have it all in the photo, it actually has 3 doors.

I definitely don't think I would put wood on a vanity - to me that is asking for trouble.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Roo! The baskets are a great idea, I actually did that already! Ah, great minds think alike. And I do believe R would enjoy a weekend off! I could remove the mirror and replace it with a mirrored cabinet, we did that in R's bathroom. It would be huge, though, that mirror is five feet across. Something to think about, that's for sure. I painting the whole thing white now. I started on the vanity today, and then the walls. This way I can change accessories with the seasons or holidays without having to go thru to much trouble. I'm liking white more and more!

See MP! Even Roo said you need to move here!!!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I didn't mean A weekend Bobbi, I meant weekends PERMANENTLY. God woman, do you have a fixation on paint brushes or something, you don't seem to be able to function without one in your hand. Maybe you are sniffing too many paint fumes.

My cabinet in my ensuite is 4 ft and definitely doesn't look too big. It is the exact size of the vanity of course and the stuff it holds is fantastic.

Definitely the white is great for changing accessories to match your moods or seasons.

I think it is housework time. I was getting heaps of vacuuming done Tuesday and filled the bag so tossed it out and now I can't find where I put the supply of new bags. Got to get things in better order here. Wasn't helped by the grands yesterday, DD bought them some craft things to do today while she works and to keep them out of her partner's hair so of course they raided my scrapbooking stash again, just as I had got it all sorted after their last foray. They are pretty good and do try but there are always bits they miss or don't quite get into containers properly.

Just waiting to hear from BH's sister too, to get full details of some family drama that may require him to come home. Pray for me guys .................. I want my holiday.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    But Roo, what else would we do? hehehe And I think I was born with a paint brush in my hand.

Oh, no! BH home already? That's not what you were planning! What is happening, and of course we'll pray for you!

Have to cook dinner now, keep me up to date, ok?
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Just had a l-o-n-g phone call with Sis-I-L. Huge family problems I won't go into here but MIL is going off the planet mentally and is less able to be left on her own. Means aged care which she has been wanting for years but others talk her out of it - for their own selfish ends - may be about to happen.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Spiders - Yes we have our delightful Sydney Funnel Web spiders that we now have anti venom for. Generally speaking they burrow holes in the ground and create a web over the entrance - hence their name. The easiest way to get bitten by one is to go garden and stick your bare hand down one of the holes or into hollow logs, dig up rocks or other places no one in their right mind would put their hand into anyway. They do like swimming pools and can live underwater for 24 hours so you really have to check your pool before diving in.

Kimdee you might have to come out with Lisa, her hubby won't come because of the spiders either, so she can play mummy to both of you. I might add, in all my years I have never seen a real live Funnel Web. Otherwise you could just stay in WA and not come east at all.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Funnel-web-Spiders-group/

BTW - has anyone seen Tras around lately. She has been very quiet.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Ohhhhhh... I am so sorry I looked at that link! That is one seriously ugly spider!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Wuss!!!!!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Yep!!!!! :)
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh geeez that spider is narsty! Haven't seen Tras or Creeser! Where's Creeser?
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Hello ladies, long time no see. Sorry I haven't been in touch. We have all had a chesty cough (all seven of us) and it has been awful. We are barking like seals, hard to sleep and swallow and the doctor said it'll go away by itself. I coughed so hard my ribs hurt! I thought I was over it a couple of weeks ago and then it got worse.
    Adding to our misery is the wind, rain and low temperatures!

I hope you are all well although I see from some comments your weather is also erratic.

How awful about Boston, bombings are really low, nasty attacks. Hopefully the perpetrators will be caught and given the right punishment.

Sorry to depress you all. Lets hear more about decorating and killer spiders! We have just finished clearing out and "neutralising" granny's house for sale. My children have been warned - on no account are my husband and I to be "gifted" with souvenir tat (coasters, ornaments, artificial flowers) on pain of permanent disinheritance!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh, geeez, Lisa that sounds awful! Barking like seals should only be heard near the waterfront, not in the home! Are you taking any kind of cough medicine? I don't know what's available where you are, but we have a product called Mucinex which works pretty good. I hope you and yours get better FAST!

No souvenirs on threat of permanent disinheritance? Funny! Yep, those kinds of things can pile up quickly, can't they? Does your family collect anything? My hubby collects everything, I collect nothing. Oh, except folk art Christmas decorations. I just could never get into the collecting thing, to me it's just more stuff to clean!
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Hi Bobbi. I kept all the china my grandma painted for me (coffee set, angels, vases, plates etc.) but like you anything else is cleaning! We have kept all the children's artwork (archived in the attic) - my folks kept nothing and I'm touched by how much effort they make for birthday cards and Christmas cards- can't throw it out- so they'll have to deal with that when we're gone! I love handcrafted Christmas decorations too, hopefully this year my daughter and I will make some.

We don't take anything for coughs except lemon tea and honey because the doctor said all these over the counter things are garbage! I knew someone who was a rep for a company that sold lozenges and other soothers for sore throats and coughs and she also said it was garbage - tarted up candy given pseudo medical names to tempt you. Plenty of fluids and rest, that's it. I think we're getting over the hump now so we'll see.
  • evierh
    11 years ago
    My moth was cuter than that spider!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Definitely! But speaking of cute bugs, did you know ladybugs bite?
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Astraea I thought that moth looked like a gremlin! I didn't know ladybugs bite - they were the only bugs I'd ever touch too.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I see the bombing bastard may have been found...(not identified yet, I don't think)!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Good Morning to all!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jayme, dear, you're a day late......
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Ha ha...that's not unusual!! I saw yest. they had spotted him putting a bag down-that was the last I saw..then I went to bed early!! LOL
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Looking at this...jealous of everyone is warm areas! But also don't wish it onto anyone else!
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh! That's so beautiful! Where is this???? I must go there!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @olldbobbi...(U r right..it can be beautiful too :)Looking out our front door...U r welcome anytime, but we'd have more fun in the summer at the lake camping!! Notice the thing in the middle of the yard...it is a man eating honeysuckle ...went bananas growing!
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Hi Jayme, we had snow on the hills and I was complaining! It's April it's not supposed to be like this! Mind you it does look lovely. Do you reckon you'll get a long hot summer to compensate?
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    A man eating honeysuckle? Oh, man, you must get tons of bees, bees love honeysuckle!

Lisa, you have snow too? This is just wrong! I want snow!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Hummingbirds...they love it and r so magical..Some bees but not too bad..the honeysuckle overgrew a metal obelisk. I also have the coolest, solid metal lamp post from an old bridge...at least a minimum of 100 years old..about 9 feet tall..at the end of my sidewalk..(takes 4 men to move it)..or 3 strong ones can tip it onto a trailer for moving...when snow melts I will share it. @lisalovesquilts...I am not sure what the summer outlook is...shorter for sure!!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Hi all, as usual just checking in before bed. Lisa, sorry to hear you have all been crook. Just hope you are all better soon, sometimes those coughs can go on for absolute months. I can't take a lot of cold/flu meds because of the pseudoephedrine - found out once by accident it shot my BP up - but if I get a chesty cough I take a product called Senega and Ammonia. It is dirt cheap to buy, like $6 a bottle compared to $15 for the fancy useless stuff. The taste has grown on me but it really contains ammonia and camphor amongst other things, which I wouldn't have thought possible to ingest, but honestly I have never taken it for more than a day, it dries everything up so fast.

Don't talk about souvenirs to me, when my joeys were growing up they got a craze for teaspoons, everywhere we went they had to get a spoon. We had spoon racks everywhere in the house with them. Now I have a shoebox full of them no one wants them and of course being silver they all need cleaning. Seeing they collected them they can't complain if I will them can they??

You lot are really turning me off snow permanently, as much as I love cold.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    At least my neighbors aren't building an enormous, concrete retaining wall on the property line, poor ASV.
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I missed that.
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Roo if all your teaspoons are silver what about getting a jeweller to melt it down into some fabulous piece you can wear or an individual decorative item? Bobbi there was snow on the hills across the river but it's so rainy and misty now I can't see them! We need the gulf stream to move further north so we get some heat.
  • charleee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lisa, we are expecting a beautiful day here in NorCal. Temps in the 70's. Nothing buy sunshine! Sorry!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    Nice, bobbi! Perfect temperature. It's sunny here today (Alberta blue skies -- can't beat them) but still only 42F. The snow is slooooowly melting. But... looking like 54F by Tuesday -- woot!

I feel terrible for ASV. Brought back memories of my former neighbour and the single most WORST shingling job ever done on a garage in the history of shingling. And it was the first thing I saw every time I walked out my back door. I wish I had a photo to adequately describe the horror that was this garage roof.

Not as bad as ASV's situation, but sickening nonetheless.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    FBI update right now on t.v. in re: Boston..sounds like suspects pics being shown...hope they get caught!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Jayme, I was just reading about that, I liked how the Police said they would not mention the ethnicity of the suspects. Sounds even more suspicious.

We look like only hitting 19 today and there is a really cold wind blowing - yeah, winter might be coming.