Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mobiexpo

Need help with fireplace mantle

mobiexpo
11 years ago
I need ideas or suggestions to help make this wall space and mantle more modern and appealing. I hate it and I'm Terrible at design ideas!!

Comments (28)

• handymam
    11 years ago
    The mantel itself seems hardly noticeable with all the black going on here. You could add some crown molding under the mantel to give it more weight. Can you possibly show more of the room? Maybe the furniture arrangement is throwing it all off. I think the art is too small for the space, or it needs to be a part of a grouping of art.The black insert is kind of dated looking, perhaps you could replace it, or remove it and paint it a different color.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    the wall color also feels a bit dated.
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    I agree with dytecture. It is a safe color, but really doesn't add anything. It really would help to see the rest of the room.
  • mobiexpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks folks
    I agree on all accounts thus far! I will add some pics of the other walls
  • mobiexpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This was the color and inset when we moved in we've done nothing to it yet
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    Gotcha!
  • mobiexpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Don't mind the twin babies
    Those look good in any room :-) also hence why I have no time for decorating...
  • mobiexpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also carpet needs replacing too so I definitely know that much as well
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    The babies are definitely adding room appeal!

I believe you posted a dilemma for this room once before, didn't you?
  • mobiexpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No this is the first time
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    You might want to do a search then, someone had the same exact layout as you then. TV in the same place too.
  • PRO
    Smilow + Mathiesen
    11 years ago
    Hi. One long horizontal piece of art will do the trick--give you a clean, bold look, pull the elements of the room together. (I personally would avoid a grouping of art and go for one piece--measure the length from the outside of the chairs in the photo and that will be your length, height can be the same as the existing tiny piece you currently have up there. Art has the loudest voice in the room and finding the right piece will make you change your mind about your mantel and will improve the whole feel of the room...For example, here is a piece I made for a client that is a similar space...
  • PRO
    DAPierceCompany
    11 years ago
    My opinion, for whatever that's worth...you have a long narrow room which creates a horizontal linear space, which, in turn, makes your fireplace and artwork seem small in proportion to the wall areas. Tall vertical elements will break up the long horizontal wall spaces and make the scale of the individual elements appear to be more in proportion to the wall areas. Notice how you have the curtains mounted at ceiling height and how that breaks up that particular wall. Of course, budget has much to do with what you can do but one suggestion would be to break up the fireplace wall by installing bookshelves on either side of the fireplace, extending to the ceiling. Then, you could install a mantel and surround to make the fireplace much smaller and more vertical. Then, the size of the artwork above the fireplace would be more proportionate to the other elements on the wall.

We remodeled a similar room a few years ago. I attached photos of "before", "during", and "after" so that you can see the effect. On the mantel, if you are a DIY type, It can be built using standard finish-grade lumber and moldings from your local Lowes or Home Depot.
  • mobiexpo
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow thanks what an improvement!!
  • PRO
    Mike BROUSE fine art
    11 years ago
    original artwork is always preferred over prints
  • sjmd42
    11 years ago
    Since your wall is very wide around the fireplace, I suggest using large plant on the sides, with a tall picture over the fireplace. From a decorating standpoint, a tringle shape is a can fix a decorating dilemma. Hence, tall in the middle, and plants near the end of each side. If you have the initiative, I think 2square windows on the left and right side of the fireplace would lighten the area.
  • PRO
    DAPierceCompany
    11 years ago
    I think sjmd42 has a valid point... also proportions and scale are important, as well as how the elements relate to the entire space.
  • dandelionwishes
    11 years ago
    I would add a lot of color. It looks rather grim!! Also, I tried to put bookshelves on either side of my "wall" fireplace but with this shape of room it looked weird. I think if you had one large black furniture piece (the sofa) you should ditch the black chairs and have something more lively or at least a little brighter. It looks weird with the 2 black chairs flanking the fireplace facing into the room. Lots of potential though!!
  • dandelionwishes
    11 years ago
    Here is my room with the fireplace wall .... still in progress ...
  • PRO
    DAPierceCompany
    11 years ago
    I just did a "Houzz search" for "fireplace wall" and got over 16,000 examples. Many look very good and you can filter by traditional, modern, etc., whichever fits your particular taste.
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    Southampton · More Info

Mske it into your own personal resting place Kidding :) LOL
    Oak St. Home Staging · More Info

something round over the FP to offset the linear
    Beyond Mid-Century by Heather Garrett Design · More Info

with candles sticks on either side of the round mirror
    Riverhouse Living Room · More Info

with a bowl at center with tactile objects.Put this together might work and be budget friendly as all suggestions are readily available at almost all popular stores.
  • PRO
    Long Island Mantel
    10 years ago
    This may be something to consider. We completed this project with removing one brick.
  • PRO
    Old English Fireplace Benches
    10 years ago
    Interior design starts with the fireplace. Think seating, function and artistry. A 'club fender' fireplace bench provides all three. The best custom sized and designed are made in CT...club fenders us
  • PRO
    Mike BROUSE fine art
    10 years ago
    The artwork needs to make much more of a statement.....the square piece shown is too small (my humble opinion). I have had clients with similar fireplaces (relatively low ceiling height ) that have just leaned the piece in lieu of hanging it.
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    ideas.
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    Or, let the top be a storage wall.
  • PRO
    Showcase Kitchens
    10 years ago
    Creating a more cohesive wall will make it feel more contemporary as well as giving the room the sense of being larger. Here are two projects we have done for clients in family rooms adjoining their kitchen. A light one that uses a Carrara marble surround with basically white wall - and the other dark cabinetry around the brick.. Either is a solution you should be able to make work.