Software
Houzz Logo Print
jodishisushi

Replace knobs?

9 years ago
Is it just me, or do these look dated and old? I'm planning to refinish my stairs on my own (strip, sand, stain a darker color). Should these be replaced with a different shape? And if so, what? When I Google "stair railing caps", the results I get pertain to stair treads.

Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago

    If you want to change them, you can, but it's going to be a lot of work..You need to cut and then extract whatever is left out of it..Might not be worth the effort

  • 9 years ago
    Yikes.
  • 9 years ago
    I wouldn't change. But it's up to you!
    Too me it like hard.
  • 9 years ago
    The post are of a colonial design and cutting the top off IMO will leave them looking odd. To replace them all would be costly as they are structurally part of the stairs.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I wrapped mine completely in new wood so I have chunky square newel posts with flat caps. Lots of work if you don't have a woodworking background.
  • 9 years ago
    Use simple plain tops.
  • 9 years ago
    Suggesting to change the balusters with metal ones or wood and paint the posts a dark color. The colonial look will be gone.
    The balusters are too skimpy for the thicker posts.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks, everyone. I guess for now I'll leave them. My satin black metal balusters arrive in anither day or two, and then the stripping, sanding, staining shall begin.
  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't. I can see why you might want to, but they're not bad, and it will be a nightmare to change. You're probably the only one even noticing them :).

  • 9 years ago
    Or.... What if I cut off the whole thing, sanded flat, and stained when I redo all the railings?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    So you're swapping out the wood balusters with metal, and keeping the newel post and handrail? Why not just replace the entire system with a metal one? It seems like a mishmash of styles.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm with @DianaBier. I hadn't realized when I wrote earlier that you were going with new metal balusters. I'd be concerned about mixing and matching the colonial posts with the metal. Maybe it could work if you cut off the tops and bought pre made caps to go over the cut part. Bug you'd have to find a cap that worked with the aesthetics of both the post and the balusters. I definitely wouldn't try just cutting off and sanding. It will never look right - too hard to get flat and square, the result will be too short and disproportionate. It will look like the top was cut off. Honestly I know it's not what you probably want to hear, but I wouldn't do the new balusters unless you're prepared to change out the posts and maybe the handrail too.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes, I am choosing to do that because to replace all the stair parts I was quoted 8k. I can replace the iron balusters (plain bars) and refinish newel posts and railings (not my first time) myself for $600 - 700 in supplies. I realize it's not perfectly cohesive, but I think I do a pretty good job of blending the modern/contemporary style we love with the traditional house we have. We've remodeled the kitchen and are working on living room now. New flooring (wood) is coming this spring. Maybe with time we will replace the newel posts and railings. But I'd rather put 8k into a new fireplace wall with cabinetry or new flooring first.
  • 9 years ago
    New front door this fall! Can't wait for that, too.
  • 9 years ago
    Hi, great job with kitchen. Like the bar and stools. Railing with metal balusters will have the look of barstools.
    You are very capable so anchors away.
  • 9 years ago

    @Jodishi, I like your philosophy.

  • 5 years ago

    I know this is an old post, but @Jodishi could you post an "after" pic? What did you decide with the newel post caps? Thanks!


  • 5 years ago

    Yes! And boy do I have updates! 😂 We ended up choosing a wood look tile - which I'm still massively in love with. And regarding the stairs, I just cut the balls off! No more western saloon feel. A few people previously mentioned not liking the wood railing w the iron balusters, but we love it and have zero regret. I did it all myself while my husband was in India for work, so he had a big surprise when he came home! I don't know how many photos I can add, but I'll add an update of the kitchen w floors (probably messy cause we live here) and the stairs.

  • 5 years ago

    And thanks for asking, @cgwagner07!

  • 5 years ago

    In reading back through I see I mentioned building fireplace cabinetry. Did that, as well!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Did you have to sand/re-stain the wood beneath the balls after you cut them off? I'm thinking of doing this myself. am also really bothered by the old-fashioned looking post tops!