Software
Houzz Logo Print
justinwvu

Hardwood flooring advice

9 years ago
So I have been doing a lot of research on engineered hardwood floors. At this point I think I've narrowed down my choice between Anderson Bernini hickory and Hallmark floors Monterey collection in hickory.

I really like that the Anderson floors are in made the USA and hand scraped. They seem to be socially responsible. Downside is the boards range from 12 inches to approximately 4'8". My new build is very open with large main level so bigger/longer boards would be nice. Anderson claims to have a very good finish that is 6x stronger tan competition which is attractive.

Regarding the Hallmark floors I don't like that its manufactured in China. However from my research it seems that they are manufactured well. They also claim a very good finish. I like that they are random width with longer planks up to 6 feet. I also like it that their distressing is a little more subtle compared to the Anderson floor.

So in summary I like the hallmark floors better aesthetically. However I like buying stuff made in the USA. I'm still willing to buy the Hallmark floor if others on here have experience and recommend it. I have a dog, and children which will be pretty rough on the floors.

I can get the Anderson floor for $5 per square foot and the Hallmark for $5.59 per square foot with the builder discounts.

Any suggestions from people with experience with both? Would the shorter boards of Anderson be less "custom" appearing? My main level is ~1800 square feet with a large open kitchen/great room/dining.

Comments (30)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I agree with Oak & Broad. For your project, longer lengths would look better. I'm also curious about the finish used on the Anderson product. I'm familiar with Hallmark, and their NuOil finish, but I couldn't find any information on Anderson's website.

    Many prefinished floors have an aluminum oxide finish as opposed to the oil finish. These two different finishes require different maintenance routines, so I'd be sure to find out what Anderson uses.

    Justin Adkins thanked Emerson Hardwood Floors
  • 9 years ago

    Oak and Broad, it doesn't bother you that the Hallmark floors are manufactured in China? I have seen several people on here recommend avoiding the stuff made in China, but seems like Hallmark may be an exception to that rule.


    Emerson:

    Anderson finish: http://andersonfloors.com/our-hardwood-floors/lusterlock-ultra

    The Hallmark line I am looking at is Monterey and does not use nuoil, it is the Trumark glaztek: http://hallmarkfloors.com/hallmark-hardwoods/monterey-hardwood-collection/


    Any thoughts on this specific Hallmark finish Emerson?


    Thank you 2 for the input. I am leaning toward the Hallmark, but still am drawn to the USA made stuff. If it wasn't for the board length I would go with the Anderson line. Cost isn't as much of a concern.


    It was interesting, Anderson only says "varying lengths" on their website, I had to call them to find out that it ranges from 12" to 58" (4.833 feet)

  • 9 years ago
    Justin, What did you end up deciding? I am looking at the same two floors. Thought I was leaning towards Anderson for the same reasons. Actually, liked a floor in Hallmark's Organic line, but was too nervous about the maintenance required with the Nu Oil.
  • 9 years ago
    I actually ended up deciding to go with Aayers rocky ridge sunrise hickory. It is 7.5 inch wide and half the box is 6.25 feet boards- according to their rep.

    I would have gone with hallmark if I had not stumbled across the Aayers floor though.

    The Hallmark organic line samples we saw were way to distressed/rustic for our tastes in person, much more than their Monterey line. My wife and I thought it had a very mechanical look to the distressing despite the claim it is hand done.

    Aayers is a bit of a gamble because it is a new company without many reviews but I just loved the stain we found. Seems like it is manufactured well (in china) just like the hallmark. It was the same price as the hallmark at the local dealer here in lincoln NE (carpetland)

    I like the idea of Anderson floors, but boards are too short for me. Even in the showroom I was looking at they had some installed and there were a lot of 12 in boards in the Anderson.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the info, Justin!

    Funny, as I was back at the store last night (Des Moines area) and saw the stand for that brand you are getting, but didn't really look at it. I will head back and take a look.

    Agree with you on the idea of the Anderson, but also don't like the short boards. Found some nice Hallmark, but not completely sold (one that I like the best uses the Nu Oil and I don't want the maintenance).

    Did you ever look at a brand called Bella Cera?
  • 9 years ago
    I saw some Bella Cera but none of the ones on display caught our eye so I didn't research it any.

    I think you'll like the look of the Aayers, can't really say much about quality though as I'm no expert, just a homeowner. They seem fine to me though and had 8 or 9 layers to them with a 2mm veneer.

    Let me know if u find out anything of interest from your dealer about the Aayers as I still have not made my final selection and still have a few weeks.
  • 9 years ago
    The Bella Cera I've seen has pretty small lengths so going to skip that. Leaning towards Hallmark right now. The Eliot Hickory in the Novella line or the Gaucho Hickory in the Monterey. So many choices and don't want to get it wrong.
  • 9 years ago
    I liked the gaucho hickory as well but liked the casita color better, it is just a shade lighter.
  • 9 years ago

    I was leaning towards Anderson Bernina Hickory, for same reasons as you Justin. However after reading your post and this thread I never considered board size... ugh spend so much time researching. I am also in Des Moines area, peggi5. Guess I'll go back to store to check out Hallmark and Aayers. Haven't researched either. What did you both decide?if installed yet, thoughts or picture you want to share.

  • 9 years ago
    I am still going with Aayers. Have not installed yet, that will be another 2-3 weeks. I can post pictures then if there is still interest.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Justin, thank you for your business.
    Any help you need you can contact at marketing@aayersfloors.com
    We are here to assist you!

  • 9 years ago

    Justin, I am looking at the Aayers Hickory Sunrise floors right now and heavily considering. I would LOVE to see some pictures of your completed work and hear if you're pleased. I am wanting to make my decision asap. It is OVERWHELMING!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Leslie,

    I love the way the floors look. Here are a couple pics of our new build. These first 3 pics were taken by our builder before we moved in. Ironwood Builders in Lincoln NE. I would like to give them props for building what we feel is a beautiful home!

    BUT there has been a few slivers of the distressed wood come up as splinters in about 4 areas. Here is a picture of the worst one:

    Further away:

    I think this one came up when we used painters tape to put down some plastic floor roll for the movers. Not something you would expect to happen with painters tape. I have now noticed 3 other smaller areas on the edge of the wood, not sure what caused the others as there was no painters tape on those areas.

    I contacted Aayers to see if they recommended a product to fill in the areas and protect them, and they asked for a picture the next day. I replied with the two pictures above on 7/6 and have not heard back from them. The floors already have some similar areas that are filled in with a black filler that completes the distressed look and actually looks quite nice from the factory. You can see this in the bottom picture. If I can reproduce this at home with a product, it won't be a big deal.

    I am pretty disapointed that they have not gotten back to me yet. I will update if they have a solution or explanation for the issue.

    Basically, the wood has a distressed character to it. Some of the wood fibers where it has been distressed seem to be breaking free in little splinters.

    I hope none come off in our feet! I would recommend the floor based on looks, their stain really gives a lot of character to the wood, but I am a little concerned about the durability so I can't really make a full recommendation yet. If I don't get any more of these little slivers come up, I would still recommend it with the warning that this could happen (I have about 1800 square foot of floor covered with it.)

    I'm not sure if this is something that happens with these types of floors or not. Perhaps others can chime in with experience.

    I could post some other pictures of the other areas of people are interested.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh, and the longer board size in the Aayers is awesome. The installers seemd to think the floors were good quality stating that they went together nicely.

  • 9 years ago

    Justin, thanks tons for the information and pictures. The floors look amazing, but the splintering problem definitely concerns me! I agree that, if you could fill it in with the blackish color, it would cover it well, but I certainly don't want to buy floors that this is common all over the floor. I hope it's the exception, not the rule! Ugh! I love the look of wood, but I've yet to find glowing reports about any wood I've looked further into. I do love the board size and the color! I'm trying to decide between this and one other at this point. I'm half tempted to go with laminate as I hear more of these stories, but it sure doesn't look the same to me! Please keep me posted if/when you hear from Aayers. P.S. Your house looks gorgeous!!

  • 9 years ago

    Leslie, Aayers got back to me, stating the delay was waiting on the floor finish specialist in Germany. They gave me some steps to address the problem, which is what I suspected would be best.


    Basically, they recommened using a stain marker to fill it in.


    Here is a section from Aayers email to me on how to fix the problem areas. I will not have time to do this for a few days, can update after I do it. I am satisfied with response.


    I may try going with a dark black color to mimic the other distressed areas, haven't decided yet.

    I wouldn't do laminate if I were you over this fairly minor issue (so far), but to each their own. It would certainly save $$$. I will take a few minor problem areas over laminate any day.


    Honestly, this sliver thing is not a super huge deal--as long as it does not keep happening. I suspect some of the fibers are a little loose from the distressing and wire brushing, and I suspect all distressed floors could potentially have this issue - but I am no expert.


    Aayers response:

    Step 1-Concealing with a wood staining marker

    -Wipe the area. Use a soft rag dampened with water to gently clean the surface of the hardwood floor from any excess dirt and debris.

    -Dampen a rag with a wood stain marker. Find a wood stain marker that matches the color of your hardwood floor. Fold a clean rag or paper towel in squares, so there are a few layers to the material. Shake the stain marker before opening, and dab the point of the marker into a corner of the folded cloth. Dab the marker approximately 10-15 times to effectively dampen the cloth with the wood stain.

    · Note: Stain markers come in many colors, and can be found in home department stores, hardware stores, and paint stores.

    ·

    -Rub the stain into the slivers. Lightly press the cloth onto the wood, focusing on the area, and rub the wood stain into the slivers, following the grain of the wood.

    · -This application method works best (rather than directly drawing the stain marker over the slivers), because it allows for a gradual addition of stain.

    · -If you use the marker to draw and fill in the slivers directly, you can saturate it with stain, and end up making the slivers darker than the surrounding wood.

    Step 2- Apply a top coating.

    When the slivers area is completely dry, use a small tipped brush to apply a thin layer of protective finish to the area of the floor. This protective finish could be a sealant, shellac, or some other kind of polyurethane varnish.

    Note: Since the affected area is very small, applying a top coating could be optional.

  • 9 years ago

    VERY helpful, Justin! Thanks tons. I was trying to make a fairly quick decision to get the floors done before I go back to work----school teacher with summers off and very little flexibility the rest of the year-----, but I've now decided to slow down and not rush this decision. So................I'll be anxious to touch base with you in a few weeks and even a couple of months to see how they're holding up since I do love the color and look.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Justin, wow, looks great! Thank you so much for your feedback and for
    your sharing the installation photos with us. We are so glad that you are
    enjoying your new flooring. Regarding issue we are truly sorry to hear that
    from you and we take care of this issue. Any help you need please let us
    know. Phone: (253) 872-5108. We are here to assist you.

  • 9 years ago
    Justin - your floors look great and you have a beautiful home.

    Leslie - good luck! I would say make your decision and keep moving. I spent too long looking at just about every hardwood in the area. I went with Hallmark flooring - Alta Vista Malibu. Install in a couple of weeks.
  • 9 years ago

    peggi5, i just told myself that very same thing. I've narrowed it down to two, Lord knows I've done my homework, I'm sure either would be beautiful, and I MUST stop the craziness. I'm going to decide between LW Flooring sawn cut antique hickory---color sherry (LOVE IT BUT JUST AFRAID IT MAY END UP LOOKING BUSY BUT CAN'T FIND A PICTURE OF AN ENTIRE ROOM WITH IT ONLINE) or Aayers Rocky Ridge Hickory Sunrise---what Justin got. Decision time tomorrow! Anyone who has any experience with LW flooring that can weigh in, I'd love your input!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Leslie Morton
    Any additional doubt or info that you need please let us know.
    We are here to help, than you.

  • 9 years ago

    I went with the Aayers. Waiting on install now. I'll keep ya'll posted. Aayers Flooring, I'd highly suggest that all flooring brands have pictures of entire rooms in the floors they offer. It is really hard to envision the look with just a sample. Ultimately, maybe, if I could have seen a picture of the LW Flooring choice and liked the picture, I may have gone with that one. Justin's pics really helped me envision what the Aayers floors would look like.

  • 9 years ago
    Here's a photo of my repair job using a dark walnut colored stain. It worked like a charm. You really can't tell there was a sliver missing unless you get down on the ground and look at it. You really can't even tell where it is on the picture. Bravo to Aayers for replying and telling me how to best fix this.

    On a sidenote, I think that these slivers are just a problem with engineered flooring. I was at my father-in-law's cabin this past week and he had several similar areas on the edges of the wood from the install process.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Justin, it looks absolutely fabulous! Thank you so much for the update. We love your input!

  • 9 years ago

    Justin, you can't tell at all!!!! I printed those repair instructions and put them in a folder in case I need that advice in the future. Our Aayers floors were installed last week, and we LOVE them! They look terrific! Now to keep them dust free...

    We're still trying to find rugs, moving back in pretty much, but we love them! (low quality pics because my phone is ancient, but you get the idea.)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Leslie Morton, looks great! Thank you so much for your updating. We are so happy that you are enjoying your new flooring.

  • 8 years ago

    peggi5 how did your Malibu floors turn out?

  • 8 years ago
    Seashell456, probably in my top three best picks. Love them and think they look so good! We have a pretty hyper (& wonderful) 70 pound golden and we haven’t had a single issue!
  • 8 months ago

    Hello,
    Gorgeous pics of the hickory floors! Has anyone done Hallmark Gaucho Hickory? If so how are they holding up?
    We had some splinters pop up in our after a few years and over time more and more are popping up along with other finish issues. Some are in areas we never walk in but when I used the swifter it caught it on the pad.

    We had the exact Hallmark Hickory floors put down in our bedroom a couple years later with no issues at all. It’s a completely different batch.

    I’m really concerned we got a bad batch and regret going with the Hickory.

    We had a certified inspector come out and do a crosshatch test in an area that is never used and it failed.
    It’s such a gorgeous floor but the finish is terrible.
    I wonder if it was even inspected properly before it was shipped out.