Software
Houzz Logo Print
mike_lee2

Outside door / shutter color

9 years ago

Hello,
We are looking to order a new front door - and part of the process is deciding what color to have the factory paint the door. The inside is slightly country themed. We plan to have the sidelights painted white inside and out, and the door white on the inside, but not sure on the outside.


So the question is do we keep the same blue of the current front door, or make a change and paint the shutters to match. Any suggestions? We are visual, so if anyone has the ability to photoshop that would be great!


Door example (for glass pattern only, the one we like has much smaller glass on the door):


Front of House

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago

    Your house is lovely, but I always prefer the front door not match the shutters. Theoretically, the front door should be immediately recognizable to a visitor as the entrance. I love red doors and am a believer in the chi brought to a home with a red door. What about a color in a much deeper blue than that currently, still matching but not matching?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thank you! We bought it as a foreclosure and it's come a long way since we purchased it (more inside then outside, but here is a before picture anyway :) Before Photo

    Interesting idea making them different colors. The door is currently darker blue then the shutters - but that's just because the shutters are sun faded :)

    I like the idea of two of the same colors, but contrasting shades, but do you think blue is my best color choice? We aren't very bold people, so doing red I don't think would fit well with us. I like the Blue, but wasn't sure if another color would fit better or if we should just stick with what we have.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh.....that picture that deeinohio posted above is perfect! And that portico would be great on your beautiful home!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I found a tutorial on photoshop and came up with these:

    I had a hard time finding a blue color that wasn't as bold.

    I'm kind of leaning toward Black / Red however my neighbor next to me has Black shudders with an Oak door, and the house across the street has black shutters with a red door - but she has white siding - not sure if it will look too similar. We have cream colored siding.

    Original (just to ease scrolling)

    Original on Red

    Black on Red

    Blue on Red

  • 9 years ago

    The black on red is stunning but I also like your house just the way it is now.

  • 9 years ago

    Another vote for the black and red--looks fabulous!

  • 9 years ago

    I did two more for kicks - but I'm leaning black / red too.

    Does anyone here find issue that the house that directly faces us has the same color combination and model house but with white siding ? I mean granted, our houses are about 500' apart (we both face a pass-through cross street from our main streets) but we have a straight line of sight at each other. We will essentially mirror them almost.

    Also worth mentioning the light is bright in the picture, but our house is really more on the cream colored side.


    Green / Black

    Green / Darker Red

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I vote black and red, such a classy look on white siding. Although dee's photo is also very nice! I'll also suggest you check out Ralph Lauren's "Hunting Coat Red". Home Depot carries it. Years ago I searched high and low for a rich true red for our front door and that's the color I landed on and am still happy with it. However I had them mix it in Behr's exterior paint. I'm not a fan of Behr interior paint. However, their exterior paint holds up extremely well IME. EDIT: I tried to link and it won't work. :/ Search Bing images for "ralph lauren hunting coat red paint" and you'll see it combined with black & white.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have off-white / cream siding though :)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I don't think I would want to have the same accent colors as my neighbor. I like your green with red--make sure it's the right shade of green. I also like dee's navy with red. You will need to get samples to make sure your color works well with your warm siding color.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Dark grey (warmer shade) shutters and a turquoise blue door would look good with your cream siding. Also like chocolate brown shutters but the roof looks more grey on my monitor so not sure if brown would work.

  • 9 years ago

    Lol, my bad, I was in a hurry earlier. Cream, black & red also looks classy to me ;)

  • 9 years ago

    I like the black with red, green with red and the idea of dark grey with turquoise. These all work because of your roof color and they are much better than the current colors, IMO.

  • 9 years ago

    The pic that Dee posted is one of my favorites. I suggested it to another poster several months ago. The navy shutters look blue/black but it still a little different, which I love.

  • 9 years ago

    Hello again!


    So I went to the supplier and found out that the manufacturer offers a no maintenance 10-year warranty on the painted finish. However, the bad news is they only offer a very limited number of colors. In the red side, they offer bright cherry red, an burnt orange-red and a re-purple.


    I scanned the swatches, however they aren't as true as the book shows. The other page is all neutral colors (White, beige, brown, black, etc) They did, however give me sherwin-williams equivalent paint codes for a couple. I forgot to ask about the dried cranberry one, I can ask them today sometime for a color code.

    Any thoughts? I think the cherry red will be too bold for us but the mojave is too orange-like.



  • 9 years ago

    I will preface this with I know nothing about what "goes", so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt - but I like the dark blue for the door with the current color of your shutters.

  • 9 years ago

    I like the Marine Blue for the door with black or dark gray shutters--pretty close to the gray and turquoise suggested above.