Software
Houzz Logo Print
heather_gracindo

Ideas for updating ugly kitchen on a budget

9 years ago
I would like to make my tenant's kitchen less ugly, but was quoted $17k just to reface the cabinets. I do not want to raise the rent but there's no way I can afford that/recoup the investment anytime soon. I'd appreciate ideas on if/how we can paint these 70's cabinets somewhat easily, and any other ideas you have. The counter also needs to be updated. Would like to keep it as affordable as possible & am willing to do labor but am a beginner. Will replace the old fridge soon. Thanks!

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago

    That melamine stuff doesn't take paint well. You could sort of get the same effect by getting a paint to match the faces and painting out all the wood, then adding modern pulls -- have seen that done, and it's a pretty striking change of feel. You'll have to do some substantial prep (stripping/TPS, sanding, priming) on that wood, but it looks like a manageable project on a kitchen this size. After that, I'd consider updating the counters to more modern laminate, which could have a stone look, etc. Small enough kitchen that it would probably be under $2k and add a bit of flash.

  • 9 years ago
    A basic granite with stainless appliances would go a long way.
  • 9 years ago
    A counter and backsplash change could make a huge difference. If you choose options that match the cupboards as they are could they still work? I heard of something from Home depot that looks just like quartz but half the price. I like the fact that they are simple and clean looking. Maybe new flooring too? The new wood tile looks nice a seems inexpensive although laying it may be tricky.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you! The flooring will have to stay (it's actually the nicest part, good Italian tile). HD quoted me $4k for solid surface counter, which was the option between laminate and quartz. I would really like to change the cabinet color, those doors are so dated. Thanks!
  • 9 years ago

    Well, yeah, almond is a bummer. But melamine can't be painted in usual ways, which is why I suggested painting just the trim. However, people have done it, so if you ask at the paint store, they may be able to direct you to a technique (Google can help too) for roughing up the surface and using the right kind of paint. I'm sure it would look great white, if you can get a reliable surface. Otherwise, treating the almond color as a cream and choosing your counters, etc., to match would be a decent backup plan.

  • 9 years ago

    @misswumble Yeah, that amazes me too. It might just be that the guy you asked didn't want the job -- it's worth asking around for more quotes. I'd have thought $5k or something for all new doors...

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I'd expect 10-12K for all new doors, finishing the doors properly, and finishing the box sides properly, and new edge tape for the boxes, with the labor to do all of that. Refacing properly is always almost as expensive as all new.

    Time to check out Ikea. It will be about half that, but it will be all DIY labor. It is not worth wasting money for stone counters on the kitchen bones that exist.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes, $17,000 is the refacing price for this size kitchen. That's what I paid in the San Francisco Bay area.
    You could have the doors removed and spray painted by a company that repaints cars ( have done that years ago with book cases)
    Then paint the rest of the cabinets yourself.
  • 9 years ago

    Candice Olson was always painting melamine with a specialty paint made for it. I agree about checking into an automotive paint shop. Take off one of the doors and have photos of them with you when you go, so they know what you're wanting done.

  • 9 years ago
    Take measurements of your cabinet doors and compare to what ikea offers. We replaced all the doors in our kitchen for under $600. We were able to reuse our existing hinges and our kitchen looks so much better now.
  • 9 years ago

    Agree with acm's suggestions, the most cost effective. Painting the wood, cabinet pulls & new stone look laminate would make a big difference. I'd also replace the mini blinds while I'm at it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Like suggested above, I would paint the wood to match the door fronts. Then, replace current countertop with a grey laminate that has NO 4" BACKSPLASH ;) Add an updated tile backsplash. Replace/update blinds with white wood blinds.

    (grey laminate counter with square edge)

    MH SMALL & DETAILED · More Info

    2" Faux Wood Blinds, Snow White, 36"x36" · More Info

    I'm sure a little will go a long way for this space. Hope this helps!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you Google "painting laminate cabinets," lots of Before and Afters for painting them come up.

    Glidden's "Gripper" is the primer, but do check at a paint store for detailed advice..

    Part of the problem of your kitchen is that the cabinets are almond, but the appliances are white. So paint the cabinets white, leaving the wood trim. Then get wood counters--Ikea's are good--in the same wood stain. Add coordinated wood knobs, and it'll all work. Or just paint everything white as in the photos and install affordable countertops since it's a rental. Some colored laminate countertops look fantastic and hold up well, but make sure to coordinate the new countertops with your off-white tile floor--maybe a pattern of light gray and off-white or black. Walls can also be white or maybe a pale gray.

    Carrara Bianco Matte Finish 4 ft. x 8 ft. Countertop Grade Laminate Sheet · More Info

    Formica 4X8 9476 58 20 Laminate Sheet, White Ice Granite · More Info

    Yes, white wooden blinds would add a lot to the kitchen window.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You could buy an in stock cabinet and redo the kitchen cabinets, and new countertops

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Paint cabinets white- there's a paint for everything, add contemporary silver hardware, I would honestly go laminate for counters- it has come a looong way! New stainless appliances. For less than $5k you can achieve a wow makeover.

  • 9 years ago
    Painting the wood to match the door fronts is the least expensive - see how far that gets you. Painting the door fronts would require tenants who are careful. I would use oil primer and paint. No knobs - they are built in already. And a new dark laminate counter. I have rentals with these cabinets - thats what I would do.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Question: why do you have to replace the white tile countertops? If they're in good condition, just have them regrouted and they'll work fine if you repaint the cabinets white.

    Bob Vila's advice on painting laminate cabinets:

    https://www.bobvila.com/articles/painting-laminate-cabinets/#.WJn7mhiZOGQ



  • 9 years ago
    The problem I'm having with painting the wood to match the current cabinet color is that , at least in the photo, it really doesn't seem to work with the backsplash color (or the appliances). looks like you've got several good suggestions though. good luck!