mlryan78

Help With 2 Story Entry

Melissa
7 years ago
I just started working on our 2 story entry and am feeling a little overwhelmed by the space. So, here's what's going on. The mirror is newly painted in a dark shade called "red candle". You can still see the green painters tape around the edges. I've recently purchased 2 glossy white temple lamps that will go on either side of the console table. The vibrant kilim rug is 10' 9" x 5' 9" but feels a little bit small for such a big space.

Here's what I'm pondering:

1. Purchasing a another kilim rug in similar colors to layer under the present kilim. : )

2. Purchasing another wishbone chair for the other side of the console table.

3. Maybe a kilim pillow or two for the wishbone chair(s).

3. Adding another large plant.

What are your thoughts and suggestions? Much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (224)

• Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Clustered Together.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Diagonal
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Above the door. I could hardly reach! If installed here the paintings will of course be straight and centered.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lastly, a variation on the vertical row.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Yep, I like the vertical row next to the french doors the best.
    Or vertical next to mirror.

I'm not sure if they can be really appreciated above the door?
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    And a monkey wrench! I just purchased this black metal wall sculpture. It measures 26" at its widest and 34" long. Just wanted to mention it for curatorial purposes. OK, I'm done! : )
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Carolins: You're right you can hardly see them above the door. OK, that option is out. I also like them next to the french doors. Maybe spaced out a little more.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Wouldn't space them out more I think. They will lose their relation to each other.
    Cool sculpture!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
    I think I'm going to leave the area above the door alone. Just open blank wall space.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Carolins: OK, thanks for the spacing suggestion.
    I like the sculpture too. Thanks! : )
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have them spaced about 2.5 inches or 6.4 cm apart.
  • Geneviève
    7 years ago
    [houzz=
    Filagree Moroccan Lamp · More Info
    ]
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    To me your squares look about right as they are now. Don't you think? You see them live, so that may look different.
  • PRO
    studio | FORMA
    7 years ago
    ..........hi Melissa, Thank you for posting the pictures. Its really fun to see the changes and its completely different when looking at the pictures on location. From the variations posted I am gravitation to the "Clustered Together" and really like the "Variation on the vertical row" for the wall next to the entry and by the window.

Do not care much for how they look on top of the front entry location. They get lost in that location, the size is not right.

Lastly I love the vertical row on the wall by the French doors. They look awesome there and they spacing is just right and proportional to taking the eye to that location! Out of all the arrangements and locations I think I would have to vote for this one.

Thanks again for all the pictures.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Carolins: Yes, they do look nice. I just wanted your expert opinion! : ) Thanks, again! I'm going to live with the photocopied versions for a while before I pound nails into the wall.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Studio Forma: Thanks so much for your help and advice! You're right about the row next to the french doors. I like it too. : )
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    7 years ago
    I adore the "variation on the vertical row". I'm sure it really draws your attention to the artwork and puts a smile on everyone's face. I'm wearing one!
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    On the vertical row next to the French doors, I think the top one is too high and would move it to the bottom to take a look.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Carolyn: Thanks! How does it look now?
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Now it looks too low. Somewhere in between maybe?
  • libradesigneye
    7 years ago
    Yes, vertical by the french doors is my favorite, because to me it completes the gallery feel - art objects on all walls. I'd shift them down just a half step rather than moving one all the way down - okay you got there - perfect! Also will mention that for smaller things I've been using the 3m command velcro to stick things and it is so much easier on the wall / easier to level and shift than the old standard nails.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I really like the velcro idea. I just realized that these paintings will be nailed into a stud and they don't need to be since they're so lightweight. Velcro!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Shifted just a tad. I guess I should also center them between the open door and light switch?
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Perfection!
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Agreed! And I like how the triangular shapes in the blocks mimic the shapes in the rug.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I would ignore the light switch and center them between the open door and the white trim.
  • bevballew
    7 years ago
    That looks great!
  • mjmil
    7 years ago
    Melissa, This has been a wonderful thread. Carolyn has given wonderful advice and it has been great to see you trying so many of the suggestions. I love what you have done.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    I do agree that the mirror should be lower ;-)
  • Liz Spurr
    7 years ago
    I enjoyed this discussion log, very fascinating... happy sunday!
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I think that Melissa's style is fresh and wonderfully her own. Her adroit mixing of disparate items is what makes it fascinating.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Chelsea Pineda Interiors: Thanks for your insights and suggestions. I like the idea of lowering the mirror and the 9' fiddle leaf fig tree. Great!!! Otherwise, the space feels very right for us. We love color and love to mix styles--antiques with contemporary art, bright colors with classic furniture. I also like that our house really is a gallery --- we live and interact with our collection of paintings and sculptures everyday! I also love the old idea---- if you love something, then you can find a way to make it work. : )
  • bevballew
    7 years ago
    I agree Melissa. I really like what you have done. It is yours and it works and it is a refreshing interesting look. I think everything goes well. It is a fun foyer that shows you love color and can do a great job of coordinating unique pieces!
  • Ann
    7 years ago
    Well, it looks like you plan to lower the heavy mirror after all. Good idea - I think it will just work better a little lower. Everything looks great!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    A little update. Here are the mini paintings velcro-ed into place. Thanks, libradesigneye, for this nifty tip! The spotlight above is a little off but other than that I'm pleased.
    Thank you everyone!
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Super cool!
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Love it!
  • Ann
    7 years ago
    Looks great!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Update: TOTAL rethink! It's been 5 months since I last checked in and so much has happened. I emptied the foyer space completely...which I must admit was very refreshing....and then I sort of "meditated" on the space. Well, something amazing sort of happened...I surprised myself and ended up keeping the space super simple: new metal railing, art, long wooden bench, simple rug....that's it.
  • bevballew
    6 years ago
    Very nice!
  • Ann
    6 years ago
    I love it!
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    Perfect!

haha Ed :-)
    Melissa thanked Carolina
  • Ed
    6 years ago
    Hi Carolins, Melissa -- :) Almost the first thing I saw. The new foyer space is very refreshing indeed. Open, bright, clean, big feeling. ^_^
    Melissa thanked Ed
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks you!! We are loving it! Now that all the "clutter" is gone--- we feel much happier in the space. It's very freeing! ^_^
  • libradesigneye
    6 years ago
    Gallery ahoy! Terrific new railing and you've got the entry statement you hoped for all along!
    Melissa thanked libradesigneye
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    6 years ago
    Loving your update! The new art is really fantastic.

I agree with studioforma...highlight the 2 story aspect of your foyer! It's so beautiful and open. Adding a staggered light fixture will add more light when light isn't coming through that top window, and also add something in that space to really fill the room up without overcrowding it.

Here's some fixtures we've custom-made for large entryways just to give you an idea! :)
  • PRO
    studio | FORMA
    6 years ago
    Love the lighting!
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    6 years ago
    very old discussion