mlryan78

Help With 2 Story Entry

Melissa
I just started working on our 2 story entry and am feeling a little overwhelmed by the space. So, here's what's going on. The mirror is newly painted in a dark shade called "red candle". You can still see the green painters tape around the edges. I've recently purchased 2 glossy white temple lamps that will go on either side of the console table. The vibrant kilim rug is 10' 9" x 5' 9" but feels a little bit small for such a big space.

Here's what I'm pondering:

1. Purchasing a another kilim rug in similar colors to layer under the present kilim. : )

2. Purchasing another wishbone chair for the other side of the console table.

3. Maybe a kilim pillow or two for the wishbone chair(s).

3. Adding another large plant.

What are your thoughts and suggestions? Much appreciated! Thank you!

• Melissa
    Clustered Together.
  • Melissa
    Diagonal
  • Melissa
    Above the door. I could hardly reach! If installed here the paintings will of course be straight and centered.
  • Melissa
    Lastly, a variation on the vertical row.
  • Carolina
    Yep, I like the vertical row next to the french doors the best.
    Or vertical next to mirror.

I'm not sure if they can be really appreciated above the door?
  • Melissa
    And a monkey wrench! I just purchased this black metal wall sculpture. It measures 26" at its widest and 34" long. Just wanted to mention it for curatorial purposes. OK, I'm done! : )
  • Melissa
    Carolins: You're right you can hardly see them above the door. OK, that option is out. I also like them next to the french doors. Maybe spaced out a little more.
  • Carolina
    Wouldn't space them out more I think. They will lose their relation to each other.
    Cool sculpture!
  • Melissa
    I think I'm going to leave the area above the door alone. Just open blank wall space.
  • Melissa
    Carolins: OK, thanks for the spacing suggestion.
    I like the sculpture too. Thanks! : )
  • Melissa
    I have them spaced about 2.5 inches or 6.4 cm apart.
  • Geneviève
    Filagree Moroccan Lamp · More Info
    ]
  • Carolina
    To me your squares look about right as they are now. Don't you think? You see them live, so that may look different.
    studio | FORMA
    ..........hi Melissa, Thank you for posting the pictures. Its really fun to see the changes and its completely different when looking at the pictures on location. From the variations posted I am gravitation to the "Clustered Together" and really like the "Variation on the vertical row" for the wall next to the entry and by the window.

Do not care much for how they look on top of the front entry location. They get lost in that location, the size is not right.

Lastly I love the vertical row on the wall by the French doors. They look awesome there and they spacing is just right and proportional to taking the eye to that location! Out of all the arrangements and locations I think I would have to vote for this one.

Thanks again for all the pictures.
  • Melissa
    Carolins: Yes, they do look nice. I just wanted your expert opinion! : ) Thanks, again! I'm going to live with the photocopied versions for a while before I pound nails into the wall.
  • Melissa
    Studio Forma: Thanks so much for your help and advice! You're right about the row next to the french doors. I like it too. : )
    I adore the "variation on the vertical row". I'm sure it really draws your attention to the artwork and puts a smile on everyone's face. I'm wearing one!
    On the vertical row next to the French doors, I think the top one is too high and would move it to the bottom to take a look.
  • Melissa
    Carolyn: Thanks! How does it look now?
    Now it looks too low. Somewhere in between maybe?
  • libradesigneye
    Yes, vertical by the french doors is my favorite, because to me it completes the gallery feel - art objects on all walls. I'd shift them down just a half step rather than moving one all the way down - okay you got there - perfect! Also will mention that for smaller things I've been using the 3m command velcro to stick things and it is so much easier on the wall / easier to level and shift than the old standard nails.
  • Melissa
    I really like the velcro idea. I just realized that these paintings will be nailed into a stud and they don't need to be since they're so lightweight. Velcro!
  • Melissa
    Shifted just a tad. I guess I should also center them between the open door and light switch?
    Perfection!
  • Carolina
    Agreed! And I like how the triangular shapes in the blocks mimic the shapes in the rug.
    I would ignore the light switch and center them between the open door and the white trim.
  • bevballew
    That looks great!
  • mjmil
    Melissa, This has been a wonderful thread. Carolyn has given wonderful advice and it has been great to see you trying so many of the suggestions. I love what you have done.
  • Carolina
    I do agree that the mirror should be lower ;-)
  • Liz Spurr
    I enjoyed this discussion log, very fascinating... happy sunday!
    I think that Melissa's style is fresh and wonderfully her own. Her adroit mixing of disparate items is what makes it fascinating.
  • Melissa
    Chelsea Pineda Interiors: Thanks for your insights and suggestions. I like the idea of lowering the mirror and the 9' fiddle leaf fig tree. Great!!! Otherwise, the space feels very right for us. We love color and love to mix styles--antiques with contemporary art, bright colors with classic furniture. I also like that our house really is a gallery --- we live and interact with our collection of paintings and sculptures everyday! I also love the old idea---- if you love something, then you can find a way to make it work. : )
  • bevballew
    I agree Melissa. I really like what you have done. It is yours and it works and it is a refreshing interesting look. I think everything goes well. It is a fun foyer that shows you love color and can do a great job of coordinating unique pieces!
  • Ann
    Well, it looks like you plan to lower the heavy mirror after all. Good idea - I think it will just work better a little lower. Everything looks great!
  • Melissa
    A little update. Here are the mini paintings velcro-ed into place. Thanks, libradesigneye, for this nifty tip! The spotlight above is a little off but other than that I'm pleased.
    Thank you everyone!
    Super cool!
  • Carolina
    Love it!
  • Ann
    Looks great!
  • Melissa
    Update: TOTAL rethink! It's been 5 months since I last checked in and so much has happened. I emptied the foyer space completely...which I must admit was very refreshing....and then I sort of "meditated" on the space. Well, something amazing sort of happened...I surprised myself and ended up keeping the space super simple: new metal railing, art, long wooden bench, simple rug....that's it.
  • bevballew
    Very nice!
  • Ann
    I love it!
  • Carolina
    Perfect!

haha Ed :-)
    Melissa thanked Carolina
  • Ed
    Hi Carolins, Melissa -- :) Almost the first thing I saw. The new foyer space is very refreshing indeed. Open, bright, clean, big feeling. ^_^
    Melissa thanked Ed
  • Melissa
    Thanks you!! We are loving it! Now that all the "clutter" is gone--- we feel much happier in the space. It's very freeing! ^_^
  • libradesigneye
    Gallery ahoy! Terrific new railing and you've got the entry statement you hoped for all along!
    Melissa thanked libradesigneye
  • Melissa
    Yes!
    Shakuff
    Loving your update! The new art is really fantastic.

I agree with studioforma...highlight the 2 story aspect of your foyer! It's so beautiful and open. Adding a staggered light fixture will add more light when light isn't coming through that top window, and also add something in that space to really fill the room up without overcrowding it.

Here's some fixtures we've custom-made for large entryways just to give you an idea! :)
    studio | FORMA
    Love the lighting!
    Shoa Gallery
    very old discussion