Software
Houzz Logo Print
sandy_magluilo

Need off white that pops!

9 years ago

We bought our new construction house which consists of an open layout high ceilings. But kitchen has cherry cabinets (which I have to live with :) and brown/silver/beige granite. The walls are this overpowering yellow/beige throughout kitchen family room and landing to second level. (See pic)

I want to repainted ALL the walls a chic neutral off white. Need trim to pop. Everything I choose from Benjamin Moore is not working.

bone white: too dirty looking?

najavo white: maybe but too yellow?

line. White: too light

I originally thought I wanted a soft super light grey but with cherry finishes it's not coming across as modern but rather cold.

. Help!

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    Make sure you are looking at your samples in the middle of a white poster board, or on a large patch of wall next to your trim, and then put white poster boards around it. The samples will look different on your current color than they will all on their own.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes we primed a large area first and then did large swatches near the molding.

  • 9 years ago
    More photos needed to help you...
    Sandy Magluilo thanked Wendy H
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Maybe this will help

    (btw, for pure white trim, just get the base white with no tint added. It's a pure, white)

    Sandy Magluilo thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    I have cherry furniture in living room and dining room Swiss Coffee by BM is very flattering to the cherry .I also love Cotton Ball White from BM...a nice bright white; looks wonderful when the sun shines in.

    Sandy Magluilo thanked threers
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone as you can see back of house casts much darker lighting than front of house.

  • 9 years ago
    If you thought Linen White was too bright, you might want to consider shifting towards a cream, like Mascarpone.
    You might also consider a greige, which will read like an off-white with more depth (BM Natural White, BM Swiss Coffee, for example) or "grays" that are really more greige like BM Classic Gray.
    If you're willing to have more of a shade on the walls, then consider the warmer green-grays (BM Edgecomb Gray, although SW a couple of winners in this category too, Agreeable Gray, for example).
    Sandy Magluilo thanked Jess
  • 9 years ago

    I painted my entire house interior BM Palace White and love it. Simply White is a good match if you want a contrast for trim. I used Palace White for my ceilings and trims with a different sheen so they contrast just slightly and look beautiful.





    Sandy Magluilo thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    You have a beautiful home. I have similar color cabs and counter. My floors are cherry as well. My walls are also kinda yellow.... my trim is Behrs pot of cream and it's very complimentary with the cherry. It's a creamy white. I put a piece of white paper so you can see the difference. I was worried the pot of cream would be a little dirty looking- but with my warm colors I'm very glad I did go with the pot of cream. Good luck!!!

    Sandy Magluilo thanked alwaysgottaproject
  • 9 years ago

    You might also check Ben Moore's Maritime White with Simply White trim.

    Sandy Magluilo thanked chloebud
  • 9 years ago

    thanks everyone! After doing large swatches of several paints - I think in the end Linen White (flat) might be the winner. I have Mayonnaise (very similar to Marcopone) Jess on the wall too and I really do like it but woodwork doesn't pop as much as with the Linen.


    Gonna get swatches of the following just to be sure.

    Swiss coffee

    Vintage taupe

    China white

    Timid white


  • 9 years ago

    If you were originally considering greys.... sherwin Williams worldly grey does go well with woodwork.... it was the only I had found for our room that worked well.

  • 9 years ago
    Your home looks so beautiful!