dasha81

Glass Cabinets

Dasha
A kitchen designer helped put this 3D mock-up for our kitchen. I do wonder about putting in glass cabinet doors (she has one on each side of the microwave) and if so, should we go 2 glass doors on each side of the micro? Just one on each side or something different.

Need ideas. :)

• Bruce Crawford

I think when people worry about an upgrade being "too nice", it's related to a feeling of whether one deserves the upgrade. And you do. So eliminate "too nice" from the decision process. Focus on your tastes and preferences, and what fits your budget. I didn't save last night's undermount model. I can redo if you like. It's fairly easy. I did take out the glass doors on the sides of the hood, and the shelves on the hutch. I also made the hutch uppers 12"D. As of last night they were still 15"D. My take is that w/ the solid doors either side of the hood, the wall mounted will look better. W/ an under mount hood below solid wood doors it would make it not only more like a slab of cab, but also darker & heavier.

Dasha thanked Bruce Crawford
  • Bruce Crawford

With under mount hood. The more I look at it, with the hutch uppers being on same plane, i.e. all 12"D, as other uppers down to oven cab, the wall mount looks a lot better. Personal opinion.

Glass Cabinet Options for Kitchen Cabinets

1) You can do glass all to the top as is also in the picture. It actually starts to look a bit off when not, in my opinion, although it isn't 'wrong'. 2) Do not stain them! Keep them white with the glass shelves. Otherwise you won't be able to see much in them. The dark insides will also 'absorb' a lot of the light. 3) The picture to the right is better. You have enough popping out as it is. Even more, like the picture on the right, adds 'unrest' for the eyes. My current ceiling is higher than normal too. Love it. Finally can stuff things up high, that I use about once a year. Be sure to have something at hand to climb that high though. Is there a different kind of glass in the second picture? The first one is more gothic and the second one straight? I'd go for the straight one to not go crazy on all those lines. Have fun!

Glass cabinets or not? Help!

I'm sorry to be crabby about the casual use of "OCD" to indicate lining things up or extreme tidiness or whatever. My DD suffers from OCD. In high school, she believed she was a serial killer because OCD causes horrible, intrusive thoughts (in a couple of different categories including thoughts of causing harm to yourself or others.) Yeah, not at all "I like to line up my saucers". She had a suicide attempt at 17 after a year of therapy. Although that led to her diagnosis and habituation OCD therapy that probably saved her life, she self medicated with drugs and alcohol until she entered rehab at 27. She is almost 6 years sober, started and finished college and is in her second year of grad school. She understands her OCD, had one bad episode early this summer, but all in all, she is a sterling example of bravery and grace. Please, just say "how rigid are you?", "I'm pretty up-tight" "I really care about order" and stop using OCD. It needs to be better understood. How I wish I had understood it when my DD was 16. We don't need more confusion about a serious illness. Hope I've shed some light on a term that isn't used maliciously but shouldn't be used incorrectly, either.

Knobs on top glass cabinets or not?

Yes, you could put knobs there, but I don't think they are necessary. Cabinets look great like this as well. If you decide to put knobs, maybe you should look into some that aren't very noticeable, like the ones mvcanada and lucky998877 posted above. By the way, gorgeous kitchen, congratulations!

Slab walnut cabinets - aluminum or wood frames for the glass cabinets?

i don't think it looks cheap, but how much SS do u want to look at? aluminum & SS look very similar. the first pic is your kitchen, more or less, you have quite a few of SS elements., do u want more. if it doesn't bother you, then go for it, if it does, then pass. no wrong choice, what do love?? i think your first question is the most relevant and only u can answer that.
  • Dasha

I agree!! The under cabinet seems so "blah" or ordinary.

• Dasha

here is a pic of how wouldn't want our hood to turn out. seems a bit out of place not cohesive with the space to me.

• Dasha

here's another angle. the kitchen's layout is very similar to ours. perhaps it would look better as one of those curved glass hoods and not all the way to the ceiling.

• Bruce Crawford

I agree re above pics. This almost looks like mirror image of your home. Two things make this fail for me. One, the work triangle is a wreck. The wall ovens are at the opposite end from the fridge. Two, it's too sterile, too much white. And the backsplash is so blah. It almost looks like they haven't installed one yet, as if they're waiting for the buyer to choose. It looks like drywall. I think having chimney go all the way up is OK if you take backsplash to top of uppers. Not taking chimney all the way up would mean penetrating the wall into the garage. There are building codes for fire protection on interior spaces common to the garage. Plus, if there're living spaces above your K and not attic space, rerouting the vent duct could get complicated. Here are your two versions from about the fireplace.

• Dasha

there's definitely backsplash but it almost looks clear/beige? perhaps it's just missing contrast for me, but the hood seems out of place.

• Dasha

yes, our bedroom is above our kitchen. at this time, we don't plan on getting a gas cooktop but we still might. and I do wonder what it would take it install the gas line properly and how much.

• Bruce Crawford

Do you have gas heating, i.e. is there already gas plumbed into your home? If so, maybe not too much. Bringing a 1" gas line through a wall is a lot easier than a 6" or 8" vent duct. I agree on the lack of contrast in that K. Here are a couple other style hoods w/ low profiles. The flat glass one is by Zephyr & has 3 colors of LED lighting on the edge I think is cool. Several makers have flat SS ones similar to this, some even thinner.

• Bruce Crawford

I'm on tablet now. Can see tile on backsplash. I think it's a glass tile. Too monotone.

• Dasha
    Yes, we have gas heating. Since everything will be wide open when we do the cabs, might as well put in a gas line through the wall!! Everyone I know with a gas cooktop wouldn't go back to flat top. And then the fancy hood wouldn't be for esthetics only! Ha!
  • Bruce Crawford

Super! We had electric in a couple apartments. Once we had gas in one, my wife refused to go back to electric. It was on her "must have" list when we started house-hunting. Since you are taking positive steps twd gas cooking in the future, make sure the vent hood has sufficient CFM for gas, especially if you plan on high BTU gas cooktop or rangetop.

• Dasha
    Thank you! That's very helpful!!
  • Dasha
    Ha! Yes, very close. I would like to order the cabs by late this week or early next. Another question came up: island! We have dry wall on the side of it now, cover it with door panels?
  • Dasha
    Will look for appliances this weekend, the cabs will take at least 3 weeks to come in and we're waiting for our builder guy to finish a flip before he can start on ours. I have a little time. Hopefully by my bday (May 14) it might be close to complete, but I'm not holding my breath.

And we decided on gas stove top. The gas line will need to go up from our basement but it seems it's feasible. I am excited for a new cooking experience, husband is excited for a lower electricity bill. To each their own!

I have a designer friend coming by this afternoon to give everything one last look to make sure we're not making any huge mistakes. I'll let you know how that goes!

Also, the granite/quartz search has been interesting. I would prefer to stick with granite because I love how durable it is. I place hot things from the oven/stove all the time without a worry. But the designs tend to be so busy! So we'll see what route we go, as I am not quite sure yet.
  • Dasha

Update on designer meeting:

She LOVED my/our design with the double ovens, glass hutch, hood....all of it! Said absolutely NO to the cabinets the cabinets we chose. I specifically called her to consult on the cabinet color to be completely sure (since the design i already loved). Her take is this: she loved the doors and even the cherry/coffee stain but said it would completely not work with our floors (yellow toned) and the 2 different wood stains would compete with each other. She said IF we went with the cherry/coffee cabinet, she would highly recommend retaining our floors...which at this time is just not something we are going to do.

Before I even said anything about our cabinet colors she said to do white with our floors. But an espresso would work, too, but would be more modern vs transitional. She suggested espresso island and white cabs.

Oh my word...I'm in a whirlwind. I LOVE a white kitchen. And originally that's what I wanted. My husband is not a fan of white but said he'd be fine with anything as long as I stopped talking about a kitchen update. Ha! We chose the cherry/coffee because it seemed more "warm" but I did/do fear it being too dark.

• Dasha

Also said it would feel too "piecemeal" with the cherry/coffee cabs and like it doesn't belong....unless we changed the floors. She said a white kitchen would be timeless and feel transitional in our space and like it belongs. The espresso would look beautiful but very modern.

• Dasha
    Lots to think about! At least the design is a go!! More to come...
  • Dasha

This one looks similar to our layout (island is much bigger though) and same floors and wall color. This island looks black but the espresso won't be much lighter.

thoughts?

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

• Dasha

the island doesn't seem too dark?

• Bruce Crawford

Here's a pic of some from another of my CKD's projects. You can even find them w/ more of a skirt (if that's what the fabric around the sides of the seat is called). And w/ an espresso island, stools w/ espresso legs are easy to find. You could even have the same red fabric as in your LR to tie together. The fabric might add a softer texture to your other hard surfaces, floors, cabs, countertops, etc.

• Dasha

I've been thinking...in our design, my range top and hood are 30". the base cabinet is 33", range top is 30" and hood is 30", there will be 1.5" in each side. What do you think if I switched the 33" cabinets and drawers with the 36" inch ones to get a larger hood at 36"?

• smitrovich

See this houzz [thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/range-hood-36-hood-over-30-range-oven-dsvw-vd~3396568). 36" hood over a 30" cooktop works well.

Dasha thanked smitrovich
  • Dasha
    This may be difficult to identify, but does this hood look to be 30" or 36"? Because of the stove/oven below, I'm thinking 30"
  • Dasha

thank you! I knew you'd be able to work with that! the reason I ask is our layout may look similar to that photo and wondering if a larger hood would look better than a 30" or if it would be too large (overpowering).

• Dasha

Oh I see what you mean. In my original 33" design, I would have about 1.5" on each side, still allowing for some of that visional appeal w/out a break. Makes complete sense!

As far as pros or others weighing in, you've stuck with me through this whole saga, Bruce! Others I think are long gone, wanting to throw tomatoes at me if they see another thread asking for more kitchen advice. HA!

• Dasha

I actually really like this hood from IKEA because it flows a little better from the neck to the cone, if you will. It has less sharp angles. But I wonder if it's too "country chic" or "farm house" for what I'm going for. this one only comes in 30"

IKEA Adel White · More Info

• Dasha
    Ok last question for the day before bed time. Tomorrow we order. What's the final verdict on hood? Keep at 30" with 33" space or 36" hood and 36" space for cabs?
  • Dasha
    Thank you! The husband doesn't think we need a 36" and thinks it will look silly with a 30" cooktop. I think esthetically it would work well but we definitely won't need it. The ranges we're looking at are you standard residential, 15k-17k BTU's. That IKEA hood has 400 cfm. That should work, correct? Seems more than enough for a 15k btu range.

I will say that cooking now on the electric range, I very rarely turn on our micro vent. In part because it's useless and doesn't vent anything and in part because I haven't really needed to. More likely to open windows. Ha!
  • Dasha
    Ordered!!! White cabs, espresso paneled island. Phew!
  • Dasha
    No kidding!! Now onto granite and backsplash and pendants for island :)
  • Delilah66

I've been silent for many weeks, but I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Please start a new thread, though, as you go forward. It takes more time to scroll through than to read updates! Ha! Good luck!

Dasha thanked Delilah66
  • Bruce Crawford

Tomorrow I can delete a lot of my posts that are moot now Dasha's order is in.

• Dasha

Ha! I will start a new thread once the work begin. Thanks for sticking around! Is there a way to delete an entire thread?! :)

• Dasha

Bruce once you start deleting your posts, it looks like I'm just talking to myself!

• Delilah66

No there isn't, Dasha.

• Dasha
    Bruce, what are your thoughts on a 30" hood in a 36" space? Here are examples of 36" hood in a 42" space. Same 3" on each side.
  • Bruce Crawford

I missed this post. I like it when there's a space betw. hood & uppers flanking it. It provides a continuous sightline for backsplash. When hood touches or gets really tight it makes a break. The exception might be if hood glass on edges & metal's only in center.

• Kristin Gagliano Weingartner

I love your kitchen design Dasha! Would you mind sharing width of entryway into kitchen from fridge side? Thanks!

Dasha thanked Kristin Gagliano Weingartner
  • Dasha

Bruce, agreed. It's a done deal... the space will be 36" and hood likely 30". I may get 2 sized hoods and put them up in the space to see which one we like better. I realized what I like about the glass hoods...it's the wider chimney! Most of the normal SS hoods have narrow/skinny chimneys and a massive hood...see in my picture just above how the black KitchenAide hood is much wider? I don't see those very often unless they're the modern glass ones.

Thank you, Kristin! It's been quite the work in progress. The entry into the kitchen is 37" wide on the fridge side.

• Dasha

And, of course, that KitchenAide one is $1500. Oy vey!

• Bruce Crawford

Dasha, this is by brand I went w/ for my island hood. It's Xtreme Air. They use thicker SS than many others, they're quiet & have baffles vs. screens. Baffles are better, IMHO. They cost about 1/2 of major brands.

• Dasha
    Here is a sample of a 30" glass hood flush against the cabs. It does feel quite crowded by the cabinets so some space would definitely be helpful!
  • Bruce Crawford

I think the glass makes it OK. If the horizontal part were SS so it would be a solid block, I don't think it would work.

• Dasha
    Agreed, SS would feel very "packed" against the cabs.
  • Dasha

And so it has begun!! Bringing this post back from the dead for a quick update so far. Most cabinets are in, granite guys coming tomorrow to measure for template. So far so good. Not without nuances, of course, but making progress!! In my kitchen with only one large window, the white has made a huge difference so far in brightening up the space! Can't wait for the under/over cabinet lighting and the glass cab lights.

• Barbara Travis

I have been following the thread & somehow there seems to be a gap between choosing white cabinetry & your other choices, granite/backsplash/lighting etc. What did you select.

• Dasha

Hi Nana! We went with white cabinets, and an espresso island. Countertop is Taj Mahal quartzite on both island and perimeter. We are still undecided on the backsplash but likely a glass subway. Will choose once granite is in. LED strip lighting under the cabinets and upper lighting in the glass cabs. For pendants, I decided to hold off for now. I ordered a number of range hoods to choose one today. Fingers crossed!!

• Dasha

Hi! I don't know if anyone was following this thread this long but here is the finished product....4 months later! Very happy with our results.

• smitrovich

Looks fantastic! Well done!

Dasha thanked smitrovich