Software
Houzz Logo Print
kthompso11

Unusual ceilings

13 years ago
Can anyone tell me the type of architectural design for these rolled ceilings? The outside of the house is Cotswold style rolled roof but I think is more modern?

Comments (23)

  • 13 years ago
    I've never seen anything like that (outside of the Guggemheim). It kinda looks like the inside of a nautalus shell.

    Is this your home?
  • 13 years ago
    No it's not my home. It is going on the market and I would like to know the correct description of the unusual ceiling. It not only curves in and out, it's rolled back with lighting inside. And in most of the rooms.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It's verging on 'organic' - might be a deal breaker for some - not everyone appreciates such lovely arty ceilings ... Might be better to not draw attention to it and let the view 'discover it ' themselves ?!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love it (but then I'm weird); It reminds me of a type of design in the 1970s in the UK which was radical and somewhat pre-teletubbyish... people will love it or hate it - call it the Marmite House
  • 13 years ago
    The rollbacks are curved lighting soffits.
  • 13 years ago
    kthompso11, might you locate the architect for info?
  • 13 years ago
    The home owner/builder was the architect. I would love to find him. This design is in most rooms. Some people called it a "Cob" house. And I think your right - people will either love them or hate them. My hope is that someone out there is just waiting for this style and if I advertise it correctly they will come to the house.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Cc the listing to Captain Steubing. It's very unique and wonderful; is that a grandfather clock built into the wall?
  • PRO
  • 13 years ago
    calling all art lovers. we've discovered a salvador dali inspired masterpiece ?

    it's a better headline than the overused 'not your average cookie cutter home' !
    you really might consider contacting a local contemporary art dlr for a loan of a few striking originals for an open house party/art sale. it can be be successful for seller and art dlr when the price point of the home warrants the effort. good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    Cob Moderne...hmmm..It will attract buyers or salad orders.... Is the house green,as well? ( And are you in the US or over the pond?)
  • 13 years ago
    I'm sorry everyone that I haven't been back to answer in a simple order. I'll try to answer all right now. Yes, that is a grandfather clock built into the wall. What a combination - modern ceiling and grandfather clock.. I did look at the fireplace. I would take that down. Gosh, I love all of these comments - Salvador Dali hmmm. I have contacted an artist and am trying to organize a showing. The house is in Northern California near the ocean. It is a large house, around 10,000 sq ft. Someone mentioned cob because the corners are rolled rather than squared which could apply.
  • 13 years ago
    Heh,heh, just re-read that: I'm so good - think i just sold your house to myself!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Let's move tomorrow! I want to be Tinky Winkie!
  • 13 years ago
    I have a hallway in my entry with two walls and I would like to remove one of them to give the feeling of an open floor plan or arch one of them?. But what should I do with the other one--one lead into the living rm and the other wall lead into the dining rm
  • 13 years ago
    You should post a dilemma, rosegray! We'll be there!
  • 13 years ago
    post a dilemma?
  • 13 years ago
    Go to YOUR HOUZZ, then under Your Profile Completion you will see Post a design dilemma. Good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    ASV, I'll tend to the rabbits.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Come with us, Barnhart! Eh-oh!
  • 13 years ago
    FYI i'll need a bedroom!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    cob is a house built of mud and straw...probably not a good idea to call attention to that.