Software
Houzz Logo Print
pattyag

Need help with style...

13 years ago
OK, I have taken everything out of the room...
What do you think? I have some sage green panels that I want to put on the windows... But finding the hardware has been very difficult as you can imagin with a small budget... I was thinking about buying some dowels and painting them and finding something for them to connect to
I do sew, so pillows won't be a problem.. The furniture has to stay... I know it over powers the room, but with a lot of entertaining we do need the seating...
Ideas? I like the painting... But does it go OK?
Don't like the lodge look... My style is pretty traditional, with a little modern... Some of the pictures a pretty dark, I opened the blinds, but for some reason the one facing the dining area came out dark...

Comments (34)

  • 13 years ago
    The dining room has too much back lighting causing the picture to be too dark.

    I don't have any suggestions, but thought I'd comment to 'bump' it.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yes, I like the art too. How about contemporary red glass vases for the right side of the mantel? If you want to mix traditional with contemporary, I like to "see traditional"...then "see modern" in the same "space". I think I would move the curio cabinet to another space to break up the traditional a bit. I really don't mind no curtains, unless you need the privacy. The blinds up..letting in a lot of light would look super. I would maybe think about getting a new chandelier for above the dining table with a more modern look to it to mix the styles as well. Are you thinking of painting the LR? The wall color looks a bit peachy on my screen. How does it look in person? A few toss pillows for the sofas and a pretty collection of silver candlesticks for the coffee table? Mixing metals makes a room interesting

    Eclectic Vases · More Info

    Foucault's Orb Crystal Iron 6-Light Chandelier · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    If you want to install the install the sage green panels, how about just demi-panels on the sides of each window? I will try to find a photo and it's a cost effective way to dress the windows.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank You Darzy... I am afraid the mantel won't be able to take a grouping like that it's not deep enough... I love the idea tho.. Yes, I never realized how funny the curio looked until I started looking at the picture... That area was so bare it need something, and a plant wasn't an option since it's not wide enough... My plants tend to over grow their space in a short amount of time... Lighting in my house really isn't a problem...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would consider painting a light gray. Think that would work with the fireplace, rug and with the sage drapes. You could use something to balance the art on the fireplace mantel, something more structural, vases as Darzy mentioned, or large candles, wrought iron work, or a mirror, something fairly large to balance out the art. You have a lot of darker colors lower, so perhaps some of the lighter colors for pillows, throws, decor for the table, etc.
  • 13 years ago
    What are Demi-panels? I will get a better picture of the panels... I thought they would enter another texture in the room...
  • 13 years ago
    The paint is more the color in the dark picture, I think the lighting from the camera made it look that light..
    I don't remember what picture showed the texture of the panels, but I'll try this one..
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'm thinking the demi-panels or "stationary panels" may not work with the beam there. It's just a short rod with curtains installed that do not open/close. Just as window dressing.

    Mediterranean Dining Room · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I love that light! Afraid changing any fixtures right now is out of the question... I have some in the kitchen that would have to be changed as well... that whole room is open to the kitchen...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    See in the corner of the sunroom there is a corner curtain panel? I was thinking something like this for your sage panels, installing at every "beam" of the windows as the dressing.
    The Atrium. Portland Symphony Showhouse · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    See the ceiling beam? That goes all the way to the top of the trim... They will need to go 2 to a window... The hardware needs to look like it is going through the beam in the ceiling...
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, I noticed the beam which creates a problem doesn't it! Thinking....
  • 13 years ago
    The painting has most of the colors in my rug.. I like the red... but afraid to get something without the darker red in my rug... It also has yellow and I like it as well...
  • 13 years ago
    The pillows I had on the couch were the orangish color in my rug... But that's too dark for summer I think...
  • 13 years ago
    If you are keeping the rug and the leather pieces, I think the wall color is wrong. It is too pink looking. I needs to be more teastained looking or golden. Maybe instead of the plant, you could use darcy's red bottle idea on the hearth. Move the red art over to the center of the fireplace. I think some pillows would warm up the leather seats licely. I would stay with solid colors, again, pulled from the rug, but lighter.

    The round table needs some "stuff." Check out pottery barn for ideas, and then go shopping at the thrift store. It's more fun that way anyway.

    Don't know what is going on in that corner, but the tv looks like it is going to fall off the shelf.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you need the curtains for privacy? How about just doing stationary panels on either end of the big wall only? That way, you won't have to worry about the beam but will still add color? Also, I think since you like the yellow, how about a golden yellow toss pillows with texture? A golden yellow from the area rug? So, the red, brown and goldenrod as your accent?
    Living Room · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Could the ficus in between the lv and dr go where the curio cabinet is? Perhaps move the ship in the dr corner to above the fireplace? Take large round coffee table out and use the ottoman shown with a throw tossed over it and a large tray to make the space feel lighter. Lighter colored or glass lamps could also soften the space. Hope that helps a bit.
  • 13 years ago
    LoL... handyman... no, the tv is on a pull out shelf... that cabinet was put in 15 years ago, before we got the flat screen... it needs to be picked up to put it in the cabinet when we want to hide it... My husband keeps telling me he will get the extra plug-ins we need so the tv cord can be in the cabinet, but I guess I will end up doing it myself... tired of looking at it...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hand Felted Yellow Pillow · More Info

    Ribbon Damask Pillow Cover, Yellow By Celine And Kate · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    the poppies are really competing with the stones in the fireplace. Maybe they could go on another wall?
  • 13 years ago
    No, the ficus is way too big for that... It would block out the entire tv and beyond... My husband would throw it out for sure if I did that... Sorry, I am new at this.. what do you mean dr?
  • 13 years ago
    Darzy... I really like those...
  • 13 years ago
    readerskeeter! What and excellent idea!
  • 13 years ago
    The fireplace is beautiful. I love the stone work. What I don't like is the curio and the artwork. It is too bold for the space. I would think about something metal with some candles for the mantle. Pillows for the couch, a new paint color and maybe paint the cabinet black. Can you take a better picture from the other side looking into the room?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Painting a pale green will work too, giving the room a little pop. That color will help showcase your fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    No, don't need the curtains for privacy... have the blinds for that, but I thought panels would soften up all the wood... I put some in my bedroom and really like how they came out...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Perhaps a possibility for over the fireplace with the art or perhaps other than the art is something like this - it has some bronze, so some of the colors of the rug:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/18x36-Olde-World-Copper-Mirror/7554284/product.html
  • 13 years ago
    Dr means dining room. Lr is living room. Perhaps you have a smaller tree to go where the cabinet is? I don't think the free standing cabinet close to the (cute) dog is working. The flower picture is lost on the stones. Something with more structure would work or a mirror. Could the couch face the fireplace with the two side chairs next to each other where there is currently one? Will the tree fit in the corner of the dining room? Some large scale glass vases, demi johns, or buoys would look nice on one side of the fireplace as well.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm looking foward to your after pics! It looks like you've gotten a lot of great advice!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank You melbitus... yeah... guess that curio needs to go... just don't have any other place to put it... Needed something to put the mother in laws stuff in... don't like having that stuff out... Maybe I should look for a curio that is taller more like the cabinet on the other side and a little more modern? Didn't even think about the cabinet on the other side when I got it... Guess you live and learn yes?

    I also think I need to take more pictures... The walls do have a color that is in the rocks in the fireplace, and the picture really looks better in person... The picture just came out too light... But I have gotten some excellent ideas... And want to thank all of you!
  • 13 years ago
    Oh and melbitus... That dog is pretty special... He doesn't have a tail to knock stuff around, but that large ottoman needs to be put back in it's place almost everyday because he rubs against it and knocks it into the fireplace...
    Would love to take the table out and use it, but like I said, we entertain a lot and need both the seating and the table space...
  • 13 years ago
    For the mantel: I like the art - I think that what people who ask to change it are reacting to is that the background edge in green melds into the stone because they are about the same depth of color. It looks like a canvas, and if it had a dark burgundy frame or edge would help it contrast at the border (try this inexpensive fix - selecting a grograin ribbon the width of the canvas edge in the darkest red in your rug and hot glue it to the perimeter of the side to make a color contrast). Though the shelf / mantel is not deep enough to put red glass there, you can buy a large wooden letter (your last name initial) and paint it with oil rubbed bronze spray paint, and layer in one more shallow element - you've got it.

    The curtain fabric seems like it may be a little bit too light - since your furniture and wood tones are deep, you may want to overdye those to be a deeper sage green. I really like the texture of the fabric, I'm just concerned that because the shade is really light, you don't get the green of it and that is an easy fix with Rit.
    My view is that the curio is better there than people are saying - it repeats the wood tone of the built in on the right. Perhaps just shift a few things about it - edit what is in it. Right now there are multiple little things, and some clear glass. If you could move those to another cabinet, and place one to three objects on each shelf / nothing on the bottom - so it looks more like a museum display.

    For the sofas - here is fabric for pillows that would tie the wood tones, the sofa and reds. a great stripe http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=17&productID=6525&pStart=0&recNum=122
    look at this floral option to go with http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=26&productID=7336&pStart=0&recNum=1 - has blue and green touches
    If you back them with ultrasuede in a matching brown, they won't slide off the leather couches.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the poppy art.