Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

ANNOUNCEMENT- MAG SWAP

2017 SPRING MAG SWAP

(Saturday, May 13)

This was posted in the Exchanges and Trades/MidAtlantic Gardening but others may not easily locate that post so I will put it here as well.

Saturday, May 13th, 2017 from 10:00am - 1:00pm

***If you do Facebook, please check out MidAtlantic Garden Forum***

It's a closed group for MAG people that was set up for swap pictures, discussion pre and post swap, etc.

For those who need something posted here on Gardenweb (like directions)

Directions

Will also put up Wants/Haves/Food list by this weekend and coordinate with FB.

Newbies always welcomed and encouraged to return yearly.

Comments (7)

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    7 years ago

I still don't get why you'd direct traffic away from the board, particular for a closed Facebook group. What's the point? This board has been struggling for several years, so why kill it?

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't know where you are getting the idea that having a FB site is a "kill". It's an adjunct to this board. I've been on Gardenweb since the beginning and it gets disconcerting every time it changes hands and the forum set ups change and people leave. For those of us who tend to be regulars at the yearly GW swap, it is a way to keep in touch in a different mode.

7 years ago

Why does the board need an adjunct? I, too, have been here since the beginning. Got the T-shirt, etc. What's disconcerting is having to leave the board to another venue to get basic instructions for a function held BY the board.

I guess I don't see the need for another venue, an adjunct, an accessory, or another place for information. For those (of us) who have been around since the beginning, change should be just another "thang" because the people, purpose and info remain the same. IMHO, no need to jump to some place else when the original purpose and method is still hanging in there.

For the record, it's not unheard of for dead boards to be discontinued. Having gone through that with CompuServe, then being a monitor on Women.com, iVillage, then Houzz? Now THAT is disconcerting.

• keren_md
    7 years ago

I'm new (since last year's swap) to both this board and the FB page. IMHO the FB page is an easier place to share pix, etc., and this board is easier to use to keep one clear thread for each of HAVE plants, WANT plants, and HAVE food... on FB these tend to be harder to follow (for me anyway).

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Keren, that is my feeling as well. I don't use FB all that much except to appease family and one of my beefs is that messages just scroll into oblivion if there's much activity. However, things like photos of gatherings that pertain to a particular group of people are more likely to appreciated there. And members who got to know each other more through such gathering may feel more free to post other things that aren't as informative as a site like this is intended to be. As I explained to CEF in a different post, the same info is always posted here on gardenweb as well because we MAGers never want to become insular and want to keep the outreach. FB allows itself to be more personal for those who want it. People like CEF who don't want to go that route don't have to!

7 years ago

So why is FB a closed group?

And don't forget, here that's what the "bump" function is for! LOL!

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I suppose it doesn't have to be, but since it was initially for pictures from the different swaps I wasn't sure about sharing publicy--or that was my thinking at the time. Yeah--you can pin on FB--but only one post, quite true.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022