Software
Houzz Logo Print
petuniafish

Accidentally cut tap root!

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Can't believe it. While repotting I cut about a third of the tap root when I was ever so carefully removing the avocado from the pot it was in :( It's been 24 hours and the avocado looks good- no wilty leaves. It's a Fuerte and about 3 feet tall. Is it doomed?

Nancy

Comments (4)

  • 9 years ago

    Well, seems like it turned out just fine. Almost two weeks and tree does not look worse for wear, knock on wood.

  • 9 years ago

    Glad your tree is ok. We appreciate hearing how it turned out.

    It's difficult to know how a plant will react to root damage like that. If it goes into shock, you want to cut the leaves off to prevent water loss. On the other hand, you don't want to disfigure the tree unnecessarily.

    I had a similar situation just two weeks ago. I had two Fuerte-like seedlings in the same pot with roots intertwined. To separate them, I sheared the roots right down the middle, and planted each in its own hole.

    Anticipating transplant shock, I stripped the leaves off, leaving just a half leaf as an indicator of health. In the two weeks since, one tree shot out a dozen new leaves and added two inches to its height. The other has not budged - not a single bud, but at least the lone half leaf still looks healthy.

    Practically identical trees given identical treatment in identical environments. One thrives while the other languishes. It's a reminder that there are circumstances beyond our control. Oh well, that's why I planted two.




    Nancy thanked newrelm
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the input Newrelm.

    Was sort of shocked that the tree survived this. It's thriving too.

    And sorry about your one seedling but glad to hear that it did not crump. Hopefully it's protest will be short-lived. It is very interesting that they both reacted so differently.

    On a side note to growing the same plants in one pot. I grow plumerias indoors- have about 40 of them. Have two that were developing into long skinny 2 foot tall trees with no branching. Someone advised me that I could put them in a 7 gallon container and separate the roots with a plastic sheet in the planting mix across the pot. So I've tried it and it looks very nice- like one big thick plant. Also the same container will have two different colored blooms. Not really appropriate in any way for avocados I'm sure!

    Thanks for telling me about removing the leaves if the avocado is going into shock.

    Best to you!

    Nancy

  • 6 years ago

    Hi, I'm new here. Would anyone be able to tell me what will happen to my avocado plant , it was cut down at the bottom of the stem

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!